Lunching with Low-carbers

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

M's sick of dieting

Lunching with Low-carbers

Post by M's sick of dieting » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:39 pm

I just wanted to share a lunch time story with you guys:) So half of my co-workers are on some kind of Low-carb diet. The other day at work it was kinda slow so a few of us were in the back room eating lunch. The one girl was eating a Liver Sausage. She was cutting off pieces of it slapping mayonnaise on it and eating it...yuck!
The other girl took 2 packets of Tuna fish, dumped a handful of almonds on it, then put Italian dressing on it and ate it. It looked and smelled just like cat food, and I think it ruined Tuna fish for me forever...double yuck!! Then the next girl was eating lunch meat straight from the container.
I brought leftover spegetti and meatballs for lunch, and to say I had 3 pair of drooling eyes watching me eat is an understatement.

I was just remembering a few year back my Husband and I attempted a low-carb diet. We made it a week and a half, sure they work, if you can stick to them. But personally we were both miserable, I knew right away that low-carbing was not something I could stick to for the rest of my life. So happy i found the freedom of No S, it is the healthyest way to go, I feel like I can focus on life again instead of the everconstant food and diet obsession. Hope you all are having a wonderful day:)[/quote]

determined

Post by determined » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:16 pm

No wonder people don't stick to those diets! Their lunches sounded disgusting! I'll happily eat my leftovers too!

Thanks for the reminder that we're on the road to health & not more frustration & failure with dieting.

Have a great day...and a great lunch! :)

Determined
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

TexArk

NoS low carber

Post by TexArk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:19 pm

I must say that low carb doesn't have to look like your description. I am a NoS low carber (actually gluten free). My co workers have drooled over my lunches in the past...nice green salad with avocado slices, leftover fajita steak or chicken slices, olives, and homemade blue cheese dressing..with maybe a few fresh berries in a little full fat cream for dessert. YUM!
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

M's sick of dieting

Post by M's sick of dieting » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:05 pm

Oh yes, that sounds much better:) I actually wondered why they didn't bring something more appetizing. I know low-carbing can taste good. I just really love bread and pasta too much to live without it:)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Lunch meat out of the container? Yikes.

Maybe you could leave a copy of No S in the break room. I can't imagine eating that way being very sustainable.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Sorry, but these people sound like they wouldn't do much better at lunch if they could eat carbs. I agree with TexArk. I bet if the tuna gal had chopped up the almonds, mixed them in with the tuna and dressing at home and served it all on a bed of greens, it would have looked good and tasted pretty nice, too! it sounds like it's more that these people didn't actually prepare a meal that they could put on a plate.

Then again, spaghetti and meatballs could look good even when a body has a nice lunch!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

sheepish

Post by sheepish » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:13 am

I saw someone on another forum say that they literally only eat meat and some green vegetables on their low-carb diet. Unsustainable.

I think someone (possibly Reinhard) mentioned a cartoon that they saw in a newspaper - the French, thin eating bread, the Italians, thin eating pasta, the Japanese, thin eating rice, then a picture of a fat American saying "it must be all the carbs!"

I read someone on a forum recently saying that their diet prohibits legumes. Yes, because LENTILS are making us fat!

It's just crazy. For the vast majority of us, we're fat because we eat too much. If cutting out a whole food group helps you eat less, by all means do it if you can do it for the rest of your life. But I'd much rather cut out snacks, sweets and seconds..

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:59 pm

Lentils?

That's freakin' hilarious!!!

(For the record, I had a mixed salad and lentil soup for dinner last night. It was lovely.)