Internal Battle over 1 piece of chocolate

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoSnacker

Internal Battle over 1 piece of chocolate

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:36 am

K, so this week there was a box of chocolate a co-worker brought back from her vacation in Hawaii...sat it right where I walked by it 100 times in a day, okay maybe not a 100, but seeing it even a few times felt like a 100 times..

Anyhow, I decided to take a piece or two for the weekend if it was still there when I was back in the office on Friday...

Friday when I went to open the box wouldn't ya know it, only one piece left so I took it and placed in a baggie for this weekend.

Let me tell you the temptation struggle between a piece of chocolate or another red day was a battle...but I thought, I do NOT want a red day for one piece of chocolate.

See if I would have had it, I would have ended up blowing the day because I screwed up...I can't snack, not even one piece of anything..I have learned this the hard way, I just can't snack..

AND it will always be there for the weekend when I won't feel so badly and it won't count as red.

All this over 1 piece of chocolate, but the battle was won...
Last edited by NoSnacker on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

M's sick of dieting

Post by M's sick of dieting » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:03 am

Good for you! I struggle with the same thing, there is always goodies in the back room at work. I have to just ignore it, cause once I start I'll be picking at it all day.

determined

Post by determined » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:30 pm

Well done! That just wasn't one little piece of chocolate - that was a HUGE step in winning this battle - WELL DONE!!!

Determined
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:31 pm

A long time ago, I got in a conversation with someone who was very thin about weight management. She said she thought that people who were thin had learned to tolerate hunger. Since then, I have come to think that the key to weight loss is the willingness to wait -- not to deny but rather to wait.

Kathleen

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Oh, I have so been there!

I just resolved the piece or three of chocolate by settling that a small amount can be medicinal, but if I cross a line it's a meal. And every meal had better count when you're mostly sticking to three!

I used to have the just one more problem all the way through the bag, but I worked on considering what I picked first as a serving counted as a dose or whatever, and going back for seconds was A) seconds and not allowed or B) possibly overdosing.

I eat way less chocolate than I used to, possibly because I make meals count, and possibly because automatic stopping, while totally under control, removes some of the decadent part of the pleasure of indulgence. How much fun can you have, after all, if you aren't going to go crazy? :)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:37 pm

determined wrote:Well done! That just wasn't one little piece of chocolate - that was a HUGE step in winning this battle - WELL DONE!!!
Thank you, thank you...I'm bowing now :).

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:38 pm

M's sick of dieting wrote:Good for you! I struggle with the same thing, there is always goodies in the back room at work. I have to just ignore it, cause once I start I'll be picking at it all day.
I know it is all a mind thing for sure...I had that piece this morning and guess what, it wasn't all that great! :)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:40 pm

Kathleen wrote:... I have come to think that the key to weight loss is the willingness to wait -- not to deny but rather to wait.
Waiting can be hard, but knowing the time will come makes it so much more easier to handle the waiting game.

The piece of chocolate I ate this morning and it was not all that..makes me think..wow a struggle for that...

deb

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Clarica wrote:Oh, I have so been there!

I used to have the just one more problem all the way through the bag, but I worked on considering what I picked first as a serving counted as a dose or whatever, and going back for seconds was A) seconds and not allowed or B) possibly overdosing.
This is a great way to think...I hope to get to that point someday...I know dark chocolate is great for us, but what I rather have is milk chocolate:

The piece I ate this morning was not even all that...so glad I didn't get a red for it. :)

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:55 pm

yeah, I like milk chocolate better, and will refuse chocolate if it is too dark, no matter how much better for me it might be. :)

Naebird

Post by Naebird » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:54 pm

You did it!! That is wonderful!! It may sound like a "small thing" but it isn't. It is you practicing your willpower. I think willpower is just another muscle and it needs to be exercised to get really good at it.

Another great thing is that next time you can say, "Eh, that chocolate isn't even going to taste that good, why worry?" Sounds like it is time to invest in some GOOD chocolate instead. :D
SW - 220 (started July 21, 2011)
CW - 208.4
GW - 165ish

5'11, 35 year old, girly girl

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle

Naebird- Getting healthier everyday!!

gk

Post by gk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:11 am

Naebird wrote:Another great thing is that next time you can say, "Eh, that chocolate isn't even going to taste that good, why worry?" Sounds like it is time to invest in some GOOD chocolate instead. :D
ALL chocolate is good in my book......just has different levels of "greatness". :D .

I SWEAR there HAS to be some kind of drug they put in it though. I gave up smoking 12 years ago and it wasn't NEAR as hard as trying to manage a sweet tooth!

The tug-a-war pull you go through just to prevent yourself from taking a taste can be brutal. Job well done, Deb!!!!
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.