Grocery Budget

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bella75

Grocery Budget

Post by Bella75 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:49 am

Has anyone found that eating only 3 meals has reduced your grocery spending? By how much?
Start date: August 31, 2011
Pregnant

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:15 am

Long before we started No-S, we were making a transition away from pre-processed foods. It's amazing how much money you can save by buying actual ingredients and cooking from scratch. Plus, you actually have control over what you're eating. No more Mystery Food!

Badger

Yes!

Post by Badger » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:52 am

I have noticed this!

Apart from drinks and household things like cleaning stuff, I now just buy the ingredients for the meals and packed lunches for the week. Plus I buy something like a single packet of biscuits, or some hot cross buns, so that the kids can have them sometimes for snacks. (the kids obviously still have s's, but I have noticed that I now give them more scheduled snacks, sitting down, and there is less hanging around the kitchen all day looking for things to eat).

I used to buy packets of nuts and seeds (healthy snacks you know), and snack-friendly vegetables and cheeses and crackers and dark chocolate. Perhaps also mini quiches, or little pastry things or picnic eggs, etc. Now I think to myself 'exactly which meal are cashew nuts going to be part of?', and unless I'm making something with cashew nuts, there is no need to buy them.

Actually what I have noticed is that I am buying less stuff - and particularly less expensive stuff. Here in the UK food prices are going up A LOT, so I think that's why the bill is not that different.

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:01 am

I think my food bills are definately going down, although not by as much as I thought because some of the savings are being cancelled out by the amount I'm now spending on fresh fruit.

I am noticing that it's also cheaper when we eat out though. Except for special occasions we only have a main course - no starters, no side dishes, no desserts. Much cheaper!
When nothing goes right...go left.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:19 am

My food bills won't go down till the last of my teenage sons is launched. It's football season so food bills go UP.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:10 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:My food bills won't go down till the last of my teenage sons is launched. It's football season so food bills go UP.
Oh I hear ya! I have 3 teens and a tween. 2 in football. How can one kid actually eat 3 sandwiches plus fruit, chips, desert, and stay thin?
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:08 pm

Ya, I feel my food bill has gone down. No snacks, less cost. I stopped buying baked chips, tostita scoopables, boxed granola stacks, etc. etc.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:51 pm

My grocery bill went up, but my eating out expenditures have gone way down!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:46 am

Same here, r.jean! My fridge is also fuller, while the grocery cupboards are relatively empty, bar some tinned stuff & pasta.
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare

Bella75

Post by Bella75 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:22 pm

I am hoping to see a reduction in our bill but as I make out my list for my upcoming trip everything is adding up to be the same. Hmm.... well, I do cook all our meals. I guess I'll have to see what happens overtime.
Pregnant

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:42 pm

my grocery budget is smaller when I'm doing no s as opposed to other diets. The first big thing is that I'm not buying "diet" snacks which are quite expensive. Diet frozen meals are also pricey. I'm not having to buy my families food and my own low fat versions of everything. So, really I save a lot on no s.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:18 pm

I find I'm spending more. Guess I'm following Pollan's directive to "Pay more; eat less." I am buying better quality food. Of course, it doesn't help that groceries are going up, up , up.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

determined

Post by determined » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:13 pm

~reneew wrote:
Blithe Morning wrote:My food bills won't go down till the last of my teenage sons is launched. It's football season so food bills go UP.
Oh I hear ya! I have 3 teens and a tween. 2 in football. How can one kid actually eat 3 sandwiches plus fruit, chips, desert, and stay thin?
LOL...I have three boys too - 20, 18, & 16, plus a 6-year old girl. It's a mountain of food for boys, isn't it?

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Bella75

Post by Bella75 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Does anyone have any budgeting tips?

We mostly eat meats, veggies, fruit, dairy products. My husband eats rice and pasta, I do not. We purchase very little processed foods. My husband uses chips, juice, and cookies but they last him a few weeks (he doesn't overeat). I try to use coupons when I can but it seems very hard to get that bill down. I cook both our meals everyday. Right now we budget 130 per week but I think it could be much cheaper! I get home sometimes and wonder what on earth did I buy for $130!!
Pregnant

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:02 pm

Budgeting tips:

Cook from scratch as much as possible.

Buy pasta rice and some grains in bulk. They keep awhile and they're cheaper that way.

Learn to cut up a chicken. While meat prices are on the rise, I can often get a whole chicken for less than a dollar a pound.

Learn to make Chicken Carcass Soup. It's healthy, delicious and frugal.

Learn to cut meat. Sometimes you can get a huge pork loin that you can cut into chops for dollars fewer a pound at warehouse stores.

Use the crock pot for cheap cuts of meat.

Learn to make bean dishes. Beans and rice, bean burritos, bean soups are all high in protein, low in fat (if that's your kink) and cheap.

Make your weekly menu from grocery circulars.

Buy produce in season.

Cook from scratch.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

M's sick of dieting

Post by M's sick of dieting » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:42 pm

I think I'm prob spending the same, but I feel there's more food i'n the house. Diet food is expensive! I can't tell you how many times I'd go shopping for the week, get all the stuff I'll need for my diet, and my family's whining that there's no food i'n the house, cause they won't touch that stuff.

I feel like they're happier not having to deal with Mom's diet obsession.