Been waiting on this for years

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

3-0-7 girl

Been waiting on this for years

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:22 pm

I am so very happy to find this whole community. :lol:

In 1990 I had started to eat 3 meals a day, absolutely nothing in between, and ate foods I loved at the meals. I ate no diet, light, low cal, low fat foods. Only regular foods. I did drink diet coke and still do. I like it better.
I also ate a bite size candy bar or bite size ice cream nugget daily after lunch or dinner.

I lost a ton of weight and got to feeling really secure about the whole thing. I wouldn't ever have to diet again, I couild eat what I wanted and I could wear the same clothes season after season.

In 1996 I got a home computer. I started to read all about
eating from a stomach growl only Yes you ate foods you loved, the method was anti-diet, and everyone that was successful with the method was very thin. I decided all I had to change was waiting for the growl!! That was the start of a rapid downhill slope into gaining a lot of weight. Things just went totally out of control.

I looked for I can't say the years for a community like this one that would help me get back on track. I found one that you ate 3 meals a day but eventually you gave up sugar and had something you were supposed to eat b4 bedtime. I found programs that you ate regular meals but it had to be low carb, sugar free, low fat or had to eliminate some whole food group.

I am really glad to find this and as of today am on day 2 of total success. :D

I have been reading on my computer or phone for days nonstop now and have loved every minute of it. Kinda :oops: at how much time I have spent reading LOL.

THANK YOU FOR THE MESSAGE BOARDS, WEBSITE, PODCAST, AND BOOK.
Last edited by 3-0-7 girl on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Welcome to No S!!!!!! I also have done waiting for hunger in the past. With NO S, I dont having to argue and contend with myself whether Im hungry or not, it seems more regimented and not so many options to cheat, or contstantly be fussing and obsessing with it!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:52 pm

I second what Herbsgirl said, this is an awesome plan..if not just for the sanity when it comes to food.

I did "Am I hungry" diet, and it is way too much work waiting and then when you do it, okay how am I feeling on the scale of 1-10, geeze...way too much work...

welcome.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks for your reply and for telling me you too tried the hunger growl diet. I failed at that and kept trying it and trying it and trying it. I was however very successful on what I now will call No S Diet. It didn't have a name back then.

This is the best of all things to do with eating. You can eat what you love, you get to do it three times a day, and I am often stomach growling hungry by the time I eat my meals!!!! If not stomach growling hungry I do at least have acid being produced in my stomach and am ready for the meal. There is no counting of calories, carbs, fat or eliminating whole food groups with this program. :wink:

It feels so good to be back on track. FINALLY
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:04 pm

I know the feeling..when I did well weight loss wise I ate 3 squares a day, then following oh you must eat 6 times a day, snacks, etc. You must eat more protein, etc.

Well all those new ideas only caused me to get fatter and fatter.

Do you have the book? If you have a kindle you can get it on there..I love the book...

I love the freedom....I'm still working on my S days, but I'm okay with that...

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:34 pm

Ordered the book first day I found this site and the boards. Not gotten it yet but did read what I could on Amazon.com of it. I have also been reading post almost fulltime the whole holiday weekend LOL and I had Friday off too for my birthday!!! :D

All the new six meals a day and snacks, bio-engineered foods, diet plans, clubs, programs and workshops have done nothing to help me eat only from a stomach growl.

I have driven to other states and stayed for a week at a camp based on the eat from a stomach growl four diffferent summers. Paid big bucks for it not to mention travel expenses. It didn't work to help me eat from a growl. :roll:

I have purchased, books, online seminars, workbooks, journals, CD's, joined online programs where you could listen to lectures and seminars anytime you wanted and still not been successful with eating from only a stomach growl. :oops:

I will say what I have gained from all of the money I have spent on the above is that it's important to eat food I love when I eat, just regular foods, to not spend money on special diet foods and that dieting will never work. I have also learned to eat far smaller amounts and my binge eating has been reduced to overeating just enough to maintain my current weight. NOW, I can put it all to good use with No S.
3-0-7 girl

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:55 pm

Eat from a stomach growl? How are you supposed to work family meals and a full work day around this?

I'm generally hungry when meal time rolls around. It can range from feeling empty to peckish to ravenous. If I'm absolutely not hungry at a meal time, I skip the meal and wait for the next one.

Sometimes, I think weightloss diets were made up by people who didn't have jobs, family or friends.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:24 pm

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY...what a nice thing to find for yourself as a birthday present..the no s way of life..sane living.

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:21 am

I've fallen for that same diet, in fact I do try it time and time again only to come back to no s. I need the structure.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:34 am

Sometimes, I think weightloss diets were made up by people who didn't have jobs, family or friends.
And contrary-wise, this system is great because it's not diet-like. Nobody ever needs to know you're doing it. it doesn't interfere with life.

krawford13

Post by krawford13 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Oh I have tried eating only when hungry time and time again. I was told this the natural way to eat and the way God wants you to eat. I only ended up stressed because my stomach rarely growled and was never hungry at family meals and that would make me really mad. I couldn't plan lunch with my girlfriends because I wasn't sure if I would be hungry at that time. I went through this cycle for years with no weight loss. I have given that way of eating up - finally. No S is so much less stressful and really easy.
kat

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:06 pm

The problem with eating when hungry is that you have to constantly fight with ourselves whether were hungry, when will we be hungry, will it match up when the family's eating out, when the family birthday party is? That was my problem, it was mental workout to be fussing with all that everyday. BUt to tell you the truth, Eating when hungry is how I lost almost all my wieght 3 or 4 times or so. But I ate about 2-3 times a day (plus snacks some times) so its really not that different than No S, but I DONT HAVE TO WORRY about when Im goint to eat, It takes the OBsession out of eating better!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

3-0-7 girl

Thanks

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Kat thanks for posting this reply.

I too was told God wanted me to eat this way, even created me with the stomach growl so I'd know when to eat. I had probably 15 years of this pounded into my head between popular secular authors/teachers and religious ones also. :shock:

I am so happy to find NO S 8)
3-0-7 girl

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:05 pm

I believe that God did make my body to tell me when I need more food, but the problem with me is that I think I needed it right away and I then also over eat. Sin came along and I became a food addict. If I could stop eating when I am full and honestly eat when my body calls for it, not wait until the food is actually prepared at meal time, I'd have no problem. :roll: No S is sanity.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:26 pm

Herbsgirl: I agree the stomach hunger program makes it really hard to eat wtih family or go out to lunch with friends and more!

Course I was told that's letting the Almighty control when I eat and giving up my own will, I won't get to eat when I want to, I will eat when He gives the signal with the growl. While this makes sense and can be seen as a death to self, I just never was able to do it. :oops: I tried and tried and tried and spent a whole lot of money, time, and my life trying to get that method established in my life. I had guilt on top of guilt for not being able to do it, feeling as if I was unable to die to myself, unable to submit myself to the creator of the Universe. I also submitted myself to many well meaning people spending endless hours over a number of years telling me how it was soo very important that I follow this method. Again, huge guilt :oops: for not being able to and feeling as if I was letting so many people down.

With NO S, I feel as if the best of all possilbe options are at work. I don't diet, I do eat what I love, I do eat smaller amounts, I don't snack, I don't overeat, and I am hungry when I eat. I may not have a stomach growl when I eat but I do have some acid production in the lining of my stomach and I do feel ready to eat. I am not being greedy with food, or a glutton on NO S. I am not eating special diet foods or eating low carb or low fat.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS PROGRAM AND COMMUNITY REINHOLD 8)[/
3-0-7 girl

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:36 pm

Jellybeans: I fell for it and beat my brains out trying to get it to work! :shock:
3-0-7 girl

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:47 pm

I got to thinking of myself as living a life ridden with sin where food was concerned and as if I wasn't going to get into the hereafter if I didn't eat from a stomach growl. :shock: I actually had become a glutton trying to make the stomach hunger method work is the irony of it all. :twisted:

Just glad to be able to get things back under wraps here. I never would have ever stopped eating what I now call the NO S way if it hadn't been for the stomach growl way of eating coming into my life. Talk about a trial by fire, that was. :cry:

~reneew wrote:I believe that God did make my body to tell me when I need more food, but the problem with me is that I think I needed it right away and I then also over eat. Sin came along and I became a food addict. If I could stop eating when I am full and honestly eat when my body calls for it, not wait until the food is actually prepared at meal time, I'd have no problem. :roll: No S is sanity.
3-0-7 girl

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:27 am

I got to thinking of myself as living a life ridden with sin where food was concerned and as if I wasn't going to get into the hereafter if I didn't eat from a stomach growl.
Wow. What a heavy burden to bear.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:47 pm

I'm wondering what made you think to leave the 3-0-7 in the first place? Just the info on the computer? Oh, my! I'm sorry you got side-tracked but glad you're back.

I went to OA years ago and they were recommending this then, though they didn't proscribe sweets during the week. When I went, they said you could have three moderate meals a day. I thought that was impossible. I have to admit that I have used the milk option between meals a fair amount.

Same problems with intuitive eating./ growling stomach as everyone. Made me too focused on ME and MY hunger and not just in having meals in the course of life. Most thin people I knew could wait to have a meal with others even if they felt starving before then. They could also eat what they brought with them to work without worrying if it was the exact perfect thing to eat right then. And they ate a lot of the same food and crappy food a lot.

Anyway, back to three meals a day and life in between.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:31 am

oolala53 wrote:I'm wondering what made you think to leave the 3-0-7 in the first place? Just the info on the computer? Oh, my! I'm sorry you got side-tracked but glad you're back.

Hello: I am not sure I understand your question? Sorry :?
3-0-7 girl

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:53 pm

She wants to know why you stopped eating 3 meals a day when you got the computer back in 1996.
Eileen

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:08 pm

OH OK I get it now DUH!!! LOL :oops:

I started to get very involved with a program that taught eating only from stomach hunger, actually a growl was the only sign to eat. I would sometimes go 2 days without eating then guess what? BINGE!!! Some days I'd have more than one growl. Many days I never made it any where close to a growl. It was a disaster and I just kept trying to make it work. :roll:
3-0-7 girl

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:34 am

Not eating for two days!!! That's some crazy stuff!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

3-0-7 girl

um hum

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:31 pm

snapdragon wrote:Not eating for two days!!! That's some crazy stuff!!!!
NO KIDDING :roll: :roll: But I was waiting on that dang growl!!!! :shock:
3-0-7 girl

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Where you at? Although I can understand that when things get easy and this is just the way it is, what need is there to post and go on about it?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:50 pm

HELLO !!! I am here still. Been reading some. It's been very busy around here lately but I NO S is standing the test of time for me.

:D
3-0-7 girl

Ani33

Post by Ani33 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:21 pm

I agree, I tried every diet under the sun, and then I found intuitive eating. I thought Id found my answer, I loved it initially, but then it started to go wrong. THere was too many rules - eat only when hungry, eat slowly, eat sitting down, stop when satisfied, stock up on junk - well this was never going to work for me. And when it didnt I got quite down, I realised diets didnt work and if I couldnt make intuitive eating work I was destined to fail at everything........
until no S its perfect for me, strict enough but not too much!!

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:18 pm

Boy HOWDY that intutive eating or what I call stomach hunger diet doesn't work for me either!!!!!!!! YIKES.

Waiting for the growl just wasn't in line with being juvenile diabetic either! 3 meals a day is. I wouldn't have a stomach growl until my blood sugar had crashed and was like 51 some days, then others I'd have a growl and my BS would be 110, it just made no sense! I know the clear difference between hunger growls and digestive growls too.

All that stocking up on forbidden foods and deglittering them by eating all you want is the fast track to gaining a ton of weight too. :shock:

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
3-0-7 girl

KatyLamb

Post by KatyLamb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:26 am

This post made me feel very sad for anyone trying that diet (which I don't know about) where you only eat when your stomach growls. Especially people thinking you should leave it all up to God about when it's time to eat. I'm sure the dear Lord is too busy to tell us every time we're hungry- that's why he gave us a brain and a will. :wink: Seriously, we need to tell our bodies when it's time to eat, not let them tell us when it's time. Remember Pavlov's dogs? If you only eat three times a day at the same time, eventually those are the only times you'll be hungry. I know this from experience. I'm so glad I found you guys because it is a lesson I learned and forgot. I forgot because I'd been ill for quite awhile and it threw me off, and I began to eat wrongly- even ended up having snacks and skimping at meals, and began to resent the whole idea of having limits. I forgot how happy I'd been, and how contented, when I imposed the simple rules of three meals no snacks. However, there was a little nagging question in my mind even during that happy time and it was just... can't I ever again have ice cream at bedtime or a bowl of buttery popcorn while watching tv? You see, the way I ate was three meals a day, seven days a week, a balanced diet. This is sooooo much better, to have the weekends to look forward to. Besides, I won't be so alone now, and that's a big deal to me and I'm very thankful that I was led here. :)

jw

Post by jw » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:11 am

What I noticed is how many of the people who were active in 2011 are still posting here in 2014, many of whom have reached a healthy bmi! This really is a great community!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

KatyLamb

Post by KatyLamb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:50 am

Yes, seeing current names in those old posts is very inspiring for this newcomer!

MamieTamar

Post by MamieTamar » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:00 am

I don't know about this Intuitive Eating American program, but I've been on a French program called "Linecoaching" rather similar, except that it was supposed to teach you how "naturally thin" people relate to food, and eventually how to program yourself so that you would feel hungry at the convenient times. I was on it for 6 months and lost no weight at all, but I did not gain either, what with all the exercises of eating large amounts of "forbidden foods" and then waiting for the hunger signal to come back afterwards, just to prove to you that there were no "forbidden foods". It was a bit too tolerant to work for me, just as "diets" are too strict not to trigger overeating. And I agree that you can "diet" only as long as you don't have a family to relate to !
No S provides just the right blend of restrictions and permissions. I don't know if I'll lose anything on it, but I do hope I can consistently not gain on it, and that would already be the nicest of gifts.
age 77
SBMI:29
CBMI: 27,7

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:33 pm

I've said before that I've come to the conclusion that the naturally thin person is an exception, thus hard to emulate. Culture and community helps limit food when it's freely available, though most of them don't limit it to a thin average. Most cultures with access to food get heavy. If the naturally thin person was the norm, the world would be mostly thin, and it's not. Look at world stats. It's mainly poor countries that have low BMI's. The others that do have cultural standards of eating that keep them slim, and they are often meal-based. Where Western snacking invades, so does weight gain. It doesn't take a hundred studies of 20 people to see this.

Meal-based eating, baby!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MamieTamar

Post by MamieTamar » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Quite. This is one of Jonathan's Bailor's answer to the question : what about the peoples who live on rice ? Answer : those don't have enough to eat anyway, so they can't get fat.
It is also often claimed that animals are naturally thin, owing to their following their natural instinct. But animals in nature have a hard time finding food and do often starve to death. They have to literally fight for life. The minute they get abundant food available, they overeat and become fat, as anyone who's ever had a pet knows.
But all the same, there seems to be a deadline of moderation that the Americans have smashed. Everything they do is on a grand scale ! And while it's not true that all French women are slim, many are, and most are "normal". Real obesity is rare and attracts attention.
age 77
SBMI:29
CBMI: 27,7

KatyLamb

Post by KatyLamb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:59 pm

Yes, that is how it was in the 1950's here. Fat people stood out and were the exception rather than the rule. I doubt it was from the (often atrocious) diet they ate, but from the fact that most people ate three meals a day and few snacks. Kids played outside more and most adults were more active too. Eating between meals was really frowned on- I remember, it was considered unhealthy. IMO it still is! :)