Dietary supplements? Popping vitamins?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Who Me?

Dietary supplements? Popping vitamins?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:12 pm

I found this very interesting:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRel ... quack.html

I believe that as long as we eat a varied and moderate diet, there's no need to supplement. I do, apparently, have a big vitamin D deficiency, which I find odd.

I'm interested in what hearing what else people have read on this topic.

I'll admit that I'm a huuuuuuuge skeptic on the subject of dietary supplements. I've seen too many pasty-faced sedentary lot-smoking vitamin addicts over the years. It has jaundiced my viewpoint, that's for sure. Few thing horrify me more than discussions of vitamin overload, coupled with talk of colon cleansing. (Euwwwww.) "Follow the money." That's what I say.

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:45 pm

If I did not take my PlusEPA fish oil (proven against the medicine Prozac) I would be on Meds or seriously not feeling well in my head. I have OCD< anxiety and depression tendencies. Ive been on Zoloft (or equiv.) three times and the side effects are not good. That is one supplement that I need! Also Vitamin D3 I take too, Ive had my levels tested before, and when I dont take it even for a bit then start back up my levels drop drasticly.

I believe everyone should research whatever you are thinking about taking, because there are alot of natural supplements that have pros and cons, and not every supplement is right for everyone!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:51 pm

When I am religious about taking cranberry supplements, I don't get UTIs. When I slack, I do.

DH is on niacin and fish oil to help his cholesterol levels which have improved since he started taking them.

I'm not a huge fan of popping vitamins just because. But if you have a certain condition then it's worth a try to treat it with supplements first before going to meds.

I am not surpised at the Vitamin D deficiency. A lot of people have it, given our lack of exposure to the sun, both through being indoors and using sunscreen. I know a guy who thought all natural supplements quackery until he started a regimen of Vitamin D and darn if he didn't feel better. Of course, he lives in the PNW and this was during the winter. I think if you live in AZ or SoCal, you probably should just go outside more.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:19 pm

I do think one must be careful with taking any supplements. I remember taking a supplement for the heart and it actually made my heart beat irregular after a few days.

I take VD3 and flax seed oil as it does help with hot flashes and good for breast health. I only say this about the breast health as there were studies down by Roswell Hospital cancer institute.

I take magnesium as it helps with my IBS..so I guess if there is some medicinal benefits there is really nothing wrong with them.

To take every one that someone puts out there is not a wise thing to do as again they can cause side effects just as medications do.

:)
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:47 am

I think it's one thing to take supplements for a specific reason, another to take them in hopes of preventing this, that, or the next thing or because some "expert" says to take them.

I don't take any at present.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:38 am

NoSnacker wrote:To take every one that someone puts out there is not a wise thing to do as again they can cause side effects just as medications do.

Yep, I am very very sensitive to anything, meds or natural. One time I was taking a supplement for my PCOS, and it made my heart rate go from 60 to 38! I went off of it and was ok then! I was also dieting strictly at the time, so that probably didnt help. Research and cautious is important!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:17 am

herbsgirl wrote:
NoSnacker wrote:Yep, I am very very sensitive to anything, meds or natural. One time I was taking a supplement for my PCOS, and it made my heart rate go from 60 to 38! I went off of it and was ok then! I was also dieting strictly at the time, so that probably didnt help. Research and cautious is important!
It sure is. I know someone who's husband was on liptor and nearly died..he lost so much muscle and strength...we definitely have to pay attention to our own bodies that's for sure. I can't take liptor either or any of the other high cholesterol meds and I do need to be on something..so I do the best I can by cutting back on certain foods and exercise.

Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:07 am

My views on supplements are summed up by Hippocrates; "Let your food be medicine and your medicine be food."

On the other hand, I've never had any specific problems that might require supplementary nutrition.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Graham

Post by Graham » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:46 pm

I have very mixed feelings about quackwatch - they have their own axe to grind. I have read that there is a major downside to taking vitamin pills - that they give an exaggerated sense of protection leading to increased risky dietary behaviour.

Beyond that though, there is the issue of intelligent use of vitamins and minerals. For example, from what I've read, there really is a sound case for gram-dose vitamin C supplementation, especially if you're ill or exposed to toxins - and vitamin C powder is very cheap to make. Quackwatch failing to mention the beneficial aspect of vitamin C use is part of why I find them guilty of their own variety of quackery.

Their denial of any significant beneficial difference between organic and non-organic vegetables again depends on what you choose to measure - which in turn depends on who you ask to do the measuring, and what outcome they they are looking for.

I do think food and lifestyle should be the first line of defence - but no-one questions the value of specific supplements such as Iodine added to salt to prevent goitre, or Selenium added to salt to prevent Keshan disease - two instances where "just eat a balanced diet" was obviously inadequate.