eggs for breakfast!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

herbsgirl

eggs for breakfast!

Post by herbsgirl » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:03 pm

This is some interesting information how eating eggs for breakfast can help cravings go down and wieght loss to be better. I have actually found this to make me less hungry/wanting food when I eat eggs for breakfast... The women in the study cut 417 calories from their diet because they werent as hungry, and at less at the next meal. This could really help me with No S because if I automaticly eat less at Lunch without even trying, 417 calories less a day equals aprox 40 lbs in a year.

Adults who eat eggs for breakfast lose 65 percent more weight

New research confirms that eating eggs boosts a healthy weight loss plan

Park Ridge, Ill. (August 5, 2008) – A study published online today in the International Journal of Obesity shows that eating two eggs for breakfast, as part of a reduced-calorie diet, helps overweight adults lose more weight and feel more energetic than those who eat a bagel breakfast of equal calories. [1] This study supports previous research, published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, which showed that people who ate eggs for breakfast felt more satisfied and ate fewer calories at the following meal. [2]

"People have a hard time adhering to diets and our research shows that choosing eggs for breakfast can dramatically improve the success of a weight loss plan," said Nikhil V. Dhurandhar, Ph.D., lead researcher and associate professor in the laboratory of infection and obesity at Pennington Biomedical Research Center, a campus of the Louisiana State University system. "Apparently, the increased satiety and energy due to eggs helps people better comply with a reduced-calorie diet."

Significant Weight Loss Related to Egg Breakfast

Compared to the subjects who ate a bagel breakfast, men and women who consumed two eggs for breakfast as part of a reduced-calorie diet:
•lost 65 percent more weight
•exhibited a 61 percent greater reduction in BMI
•reported higher energy levels than their dieting counterparts who consumed a bagel breakfast [1]

The egg and bagel breakfasts provided the same number of calories and had identical weights (energy density), which is an important control factor in satiety and weight loss studies.

The researchers also found that blood lipids were not impacted during the two month study. They found that blood levels of HDL and LDL cholesterol, as well as triglycerides, did not vary compared to baseline cholesterol blood levels in subjects who ate either the bagel or egg breakfasts. These findings add to more than 30 years of research that conclude that healthy adults can enjoy eggs without significantly impacting their risk of heart disease

http://www.smallworldbeauty.com/?p=142
So Smallworld Beauties, start downing a few eggs every morning and watch your weight drop. According to a recent study from Rochester Center of Obesity of American, eating 2 eggs for breakfast aided women in weight loss. The protein in the eggs created a full feeling and the women were less hungry for lunch leading to a smaller lunch portion than usual. The women in the study also ended up cutting an average of 417 calories from their daily intake
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:20 pm

I think it comes down to two things we've discussed here previously: fat and protein lead to feeling satisfied longer.

I'm not too big on studies anymore. Many have mislead us over the years.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:29 pm

And they taste so damn good too. :-)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:39 pm

I pretty much save bagels for S days anymore. My normal breakfast is yogurt (plain, full fat) and a sprinkle of granola. I think it's the fat and protein that keep me feeling full.

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:07 am

one of the things I love most about no s is that it is a rare diet that let me off the hook from having to eat eggs for breakfast. After all those low carb diets I love not eating eggs anymore. :D

Bella75

Post by Bella75 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:50 am

I have eggs for breakfast about 3x per week. I feel no guilt at all! I even cook them in butter.
Start date: August 31, 2011
Pregnant

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:52 am

I'm glad they emphasized that this effect was because it led people to eat less later in the day. Too often, the "eat a hearty breakfast" advice is presented as if it's straight-up magic: eat more, and lose more weight! "Eat more, then eat less" is a lot less glamorous, but makes infinitely more sense.

The thing is, I've never thought these things are nearly as important with NoS, where after all we're striving to eat moderately at *every* meal. If the calorie intake reduction also comes from people snacking less after breakfast ... well, we've got that covered, too.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:04 pm

Those of you who have been around for a while know that I use NO low-fat products, with the exception of 2% milk. The only reason I use 2% milk is habit. I'm used to it and it's what I automatically reach for.

Even when I intend to buy whole milk, I come home with 2%. I think the only way to break the habit is not to put "milk" on my grocery list, but to put "whole milk" on the list. Or, I could opt to buy milk from my local organic dairy. They only sell whole milk. However, a half-gallon of their milk is about 2 1/2 times more expensive than milk at the grocery ($5.00). Price is a consideration!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

tireddad5

Post by tireddad5 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:11 pm

I love eggs for breakfast, quick and filling. That is one food I've never believed was "evil".

chentegt

Post by chentegt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:29 pm

Just after reading this thread I had eggs & ham omelette for breakfast this morning! :lol:

SunCat

Post by SunCat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:23 pm

I have been making my eggs this way: http://sunandsalt.blogspot.com/2011/08/ ... -eggs.html

They are so good I eat them several times a week, and on days when I do, it's a *very* long time until I need to eat again.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:20 pm

LadyJ wrote:I have been making my eggs this way: http://sunandsalt.blogspot.com/2011/08/ ... -eggs.html

They are so good I eat them several times a week, and on days when I do, it's a *very* long time until I need to eat again.
Those eggs look very good. I'll have to try them in the morning. Thanks for the heads-up!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:37 am

The last two mornings I have popped cans of a liquid diet for breakfast as I have been in a bit of a hurry. I can tell a difference between sitting and eating eggs for breakfast, which keeps me going until lunch, or swilling a can of liquid meal and being ready to eat the Formica off my desk by 9:30 or 10:00.

Plus the other morning I spilled chocolate diet drink down my shirt. I looked like I was lactating Nesquik. What p!ssed me off is it was a $70 Polo from Macy's.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

gk

Post by gk » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:45 am

Over43 wrote:The last two mornings I have popped cans of a liquid diet for breakfast as I have been in a bit of a hurry. I can tell a difference between sitting and eating eggs for breakfast, which keeps me going until lunch, or swilling a can of liquid meal and being ready to eat the Formica off my desk by 9:30 or 10:00.

Plus the other morning I spilled chocolate diet drink down my shirt. I looked like I was lactating Nesquik. What p!ssed me off is it was a $70 Polo from Macy's.
LOL! :lol: See?....nothing good ever comes from something labeled "diet".
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:44 am

gk wrote:LOL! :lol: See?....nothing good ever comes from something labeled "diet".
Like No-S Diet?

(Okay, I know, I'm evil).
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:01 pm

LadyJ wrote:I have been making my eggs this way: http://sunandsalt.blogspot.com/2011/08/ ... -eggs.html

I made the eggs this morning. They're very good. It's similar to the way I usually make scrambled eggs (with butter and cream) except for the addition of more at the end. I do think I've had my fat quota for the day!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:45 am

For you egg lovers here is a scrambled egg recipe from Ian Fleming via The James Bond Dossier website. Enjoy.

The recipe for Scrambled Eggs James Bond appears in 007 in New York, a short story that was published in the US edition of Thrilling Cities and now found in the recent Penguin reissue of of Octopussy and The Living Daylights.

For four individualists:
12 fresh eggs
Salt and pepper
5-6 oz. of fresh butter.
Break the eggs into a bowl. Beat thoroughly with a fork and season well. In a small copper (or heavy bottomed saucepan) melt four oz. of the butter. When melted, pour in the eggs and cook over a very low heat, whisking continuously with a small egg whisk.
While the eggs are slightly more moist than you would wish for eating, remove the pan from heat, add rest of butter and continue whisking for half a minute, adding the while finely chopped chives or fines herbes.

Serve on hot buttered toast in individual copper dishes (for appearance only) with pink champagne (Taittinger) and low music.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79