When do you eat fruit?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

When do you eat fruit?

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:11 pm

If you have occasion to discuss the No-S Diet, a lot of people will jump up with all kinds of suggestions and comments about this scary STRANGE way of eating.

I was wondering what the weirdest objection, caution or question you get would be. Mine is: When do you eat fruit?

I was asked this by a personal trainer, which made it especially odd. My response of, "I put it on my plate with a meal or two every single day" was met with a weird look as if I'd sprouted tentacles. Like most here, I have fruits and/or veggies with every single meal.

So, what are your weird questions?
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:55 pm

I think the idea of No Snacks is so against conventional wisdom that people literally cannot understand it.

I have never had a question like that although I haven't told too many people about No S. A common response among the people I have told is "That is what I do" meaning the 3 No S. "I have a handful of almonds or cheese or fruit."

Uh... no. That's NOT what I do. Didn't you hear me? Obviously not. (I don't say this, but I've been tempted.)

Somewhere along the way, they interpret No Snacks as meaning No Unhealthy Snacks. I have to give it to your trainer in that he actually heard what you said. No Snacks means No Snacks.
Last edited by Blithe Morning on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:02 pm

This wasn't MY trainer. I work part time at a gym, and it was noticed that I'd been dropping some weight and was asked how.

She thinks it's too hard to do, and she couldn't LIVE without her afternoon bananna. I pointed out that since she's a size four and works out for a living, I didn't think what she was doing was exactly hurting HER.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

sheepish

Post by sheepish » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:34 am

Fruit was a big concern of mine when starting No S. I love fruit, I can eat vast amounts of fruit, it's lovely, my favourite food group by far.

Actually, what I realised through doing No S is that, even though it's not unhealthy intrinsically, I was eating FAR too much fruit. I now eat some at the end of almost every meal while at the table (I don't put it on my plate at the same time as my meal, that would feel weird to me) but I don't eat anything like as much as I did - I could previously easily eat 3 mangoes at a sitting or a punnet of strawberries or a pound of cherries.. I still indulge on S days but that's it.

I used to be puzzled as to how I could gain weight when I mostly ate healthy foods but the thing is that you can get fat eating anything if you eat too much of it.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:52 am

I eat fruit with just about every meal. I don't put on my plate as not sure I could handle my gravy brushing up against my peach :).

Perhaps this person immediately thought of the food collision..now put applesauce on my plate I'm golden..go figures.

I do feel most people have now been brainwashed into believing we have to have that snack..and for a size 4 maybe she does need that snack :).

But fruit has been my lifesaver for sure during the process. Without it ending a meal I think I might not be as happy on No S.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Breakfast is my big fruit meal. I almost always have fruit then.

I'll often have it with other meals as well. With lunch, I often have dried fruit (with my oatmeal), which isn't quite the same as fresh, of course.

Apart from its taste, nutritional value, and visual appeal, fruit works great with no-s meals because has high "displacement value" on a plate, and is also surprisingly filling in conjunction with other stuff. Maybe that's the reason the French like to finish their meals with fresh fruit -- it refreshingly cleanses the palate, and gives the appetite a full stop.

Reinhard

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:42 pm

What an odd question. It's like asking when folks eat vegetables.

BuckeyePink

Post by BuckeyePink » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Reminds me of the Chinese (Asian in general?) practice of having fruit for "dessert" after a main meal. They get quite excited about melon season (think hobbits polishing the pumpkins). :-)
Finally giving up on Dieting!

getoka

Post by getoka » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:48 pm

I don't think it is an odd question. I've often wondered where fruit fits in on the No S diet.

In the UK we never put fruit on our plates as part of our main meal- that just seems bizzare. We may have it at breakfast otherwise it is seen as a dessert or a snack. I decided to continue eating fresh fruit as a dessert since it doesn't include added sugar.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:40 am

Still, how about the question of what are rather strange questions we get. I get mostly obvious ones. How can you go the whole week without eating sweets? Not strange, but what's interesting is it is often the slim people who are asking. Heavy people usually say "You'll just go overboard on the weekend." Unfortunately, that's still true for me, but life is better eating sweets fewer times per week.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:49 am

I usually eat it after I eat most meals. Right now it doesn't always fit on my plate but it helps me stop eating. Sometimes I have a hard time stopping once I start and a piece of fruit often signals "I'm done". I am hoping in a few weeks I can have it fit on my plate virtually at least.
I really enjoyed my dinner tonight and the several grapes I had really helped me not take seconds.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

fatburners

Post by fatburners » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:44 am

[ SPAM OBLITERATED -- Reinhard ]

windomearle

Post by windomearle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:11 pm

fatburners wrote:If you have mastered the correct way of eating fruits, you have the secret of beauty, longevity, health, energy, happiness and normal weight.
This is a spam account.
SW: 290 lbs
CW: 230 lbs
GW: 185 lbs

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:25 pm

Spam *plus* bogus information about food. The spambots know *nothing* about eating sensibly.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:32 pm

Food propagandists, beware! We eat three times a day, whatever we want, whatever you say.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)