Newbie in North Dakota.....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NDMom

Newbie in North Dakota.....

Post by NDMom » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi! Just started today! :D Good day to start, huh?, since tomorrow is an "s" day. Seriously, I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know I am beginning this lifestyle.

My hubby came home for lunch and brought me a yummy sandwich....of which I ate the whole thing with no guilt or shame. I did put the chocolate cookie he also brought home in the freezer for tomorrow!

I told him all about the "diet" and he has agreed it sounds very reasonable, sustainable, and affordable. You see, we did WW together and both lost a lot of weight. We also lost a lot of money on fees and the food/snacks they sell. But you know the rest of the story....we both gained it all back and more.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Blessings, Paula Burckhard, wife to Kevin and Mom to 5 including three with Down syndrome (two of whom are adopted....one from Ukraine and one from Serbia)

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Welcome!!"
I have a special place in my heart fo people with Downsyndrome. My sister has Downs and she is in the severe and profound range. Before kids I used to work where she lives and loved every mi ute of it.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Welcome! Glad your husband is on board. It really is just about the smartest, most sensible way to moderate your food intake. That's all any plan to lose weight is.

On a whim the other day, I bought a meal bar. In a moment of weakness, I actually ate it. Won't happen again. Real food at meals is so much better! I so rarely buy any chips, crackers or such ever anymore, never mind diet versions of them. (Though sweets are still my Sirens.)

I have had some red days but No S is still king and still the goal.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi Paula,

It's nice to have you here! I've also done WW a few times. I always gain back whatever I lose with that diet....or any diet. I LOVE the freedom NoS gives. I don't think about points or fat grams & never miss them.

Have you read the book yet? I think I've read it at least 5 times & I get something new out of it every time I pick it up.

I hope we'll see you here often...it's a wonderful forum to find info and to get some encouragement.

Again, welcome!
janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:57 pm

welcome to the forum. I just want you to know that I admire so much people I know that have adopted special needs kids from other countries. My first was born with DS, she is four and seems to be more severe which is one of the reasons I needed this diet, I tend to stress eat over the situation.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:16 am

Willkommen! 8)
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Nicest of the Damned

Re: Newbie in North Dakota.....

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Welcome!
NDMom wrote:My hubby came home for lunch and brought me a yummy sandwich....of which I ate the whole thing with no guilt or shame. I did put the chocolate cookie he also brought home in the freezer for tomorrow!
Good for you!

NDMom

Post by NDMom » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Snapdragon & Jellybeans.... Once we were over the initial shock of having a child with Down syndrome, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. So, we went ahead and adopted two more. :) I love connecting with others who have someone they love with Down syndrome in their lives. However, it does stress me out too, Jellybeans. Hoping the structure of NoS will help me develop good habits and not rely on food for comfort.

Determined.... Yes, I bought the book the first day....on my Kindle. Love it! Thanks for the recommendation!

OoLa a.... I kept trying those bars too. I even did one weight loss program, who shall remain nameless, that forced you to buy these horrible bars. I am so excited to eat real food without counting and getting so obessive over every little thing I put in my mouth.

SunCat

Post by SunCat » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Hello and welcome to the group! You sound like you're off to a good start :)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Welcome. I look forward to getting to know you.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Welcome, Paula!

Hope your first week and change has been going well.

Best to you and your family,

Reinhard

NDMom

Post by NDMom » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks, Reinhard! Two solid weeks down....so far, so good! I have stayed the course the whole time! I will weigh tomorrow morning and see if I am down. Besides that, I love that I feel in control and that I am not obsessing about food or how I can work my way around "points" to have treats. Looking forward to tomorrow for an S day. The one thing is that I do get really hungry in the evening.....last night I couldn't fall asleep because of my growling tummy. I am sure I will get used to it, and, well, my Granny always used to tell me that when I felt those hunger pains then that was when I was losing weight. She lived to be 99 and was thin her whole life. You should have seen the layer of butter on her bread at meal times!!!! :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:13 pm

Hey, it's been a few weeks. Hope you are still hanging in there.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)