Feeling hungry and LIKING it?!?!?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gk

Feeling hungry and LIKING it?!?!?

Post by gk » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:58 pm

I remember this feeling from back in November, when I had my first (and only) successful attempt at No S. I realized one day that I was hungry, but I actually liked feeling that way. It suddenly felt good to be a little hungry an hour or two before my next meal. And instead of resenting being hungry, I felt good knowing that my next meal would be that much more enjoyable, since I would have a healthy appetite for it.

Well, I'm happy to say I'm feeling that way once again - yay! Means, I've reached that next step and maybe this time will actually click for me.

A little "funny" to mention..............I was sitting at my desk when my stomach growled (rather loudly actually), and my dog who was lying down nearby suddenly shot her head up in the air and looked around with perked ears, as if to say, "What the heck was THAT??" :lol: Goes to show that it's been quite a while since she's heard THAT sound coming from my stomach! Ha!
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Threadbenders

Post by Threadbenders » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:46 am

I'm liking the little hunger feeling, too! It lets me know that I am NOT snacking all day long, like I used to.

Cathy B
Weight Jan. 2010--252 lbs.
Weight starting Nos September 6, 2011--183.4 lbs.
Current weight--178.4 lbs
Goal weight (?)--140 lbs.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:04 am

Congratulations to you both, you're well on your way to being as weird as a lot of us around here are. :) If we were the Scouts, you'd have just earned your "Enjoyed Feeling Peckish" badge.

gk

Post by gk » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:31 am

DaveMc wrote:Congratulations to you both, you're well on your way to being as weird as a lot of us around here are. :) If we were the Scouts, you'd have just earned your "Enjoyed Feeling Peckish" badge.
Thanks. And what a hard-earned badge that was! But, oh, so worth it. :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:40 am

I think this is the key to successful, permanent weight loss: enjoying the feeling of lightness. My personal opinion is that the obesity epidemic is due to the fear of hunger that we are taught. It wasn't that way when I was growing up. "Don't spoil your appetite" is something I haven't heard since I was a kid. It never occurred to us to stuff ourselves.
Kathleen

Sixty

Post by Sixty » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:23 am

Good observation. I now actually look forward to 'working up an appetite' for each meal. If I feel my appetite growing, I know I'm doing something right.

determined

Post by determined » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:28 pm

I couldn't agree more! It's amazing how successful diets & the media have been in convincing people that hunger is a bad thing. "Lose weight & never be hungry"! If I never get hungry, how in the world do I know if my body is ready for more food? If I never get hungry, I'll want to eat all the time...like I used to. When I hear my stomach growl these days, I want to say "YEE HA!" because I know I've used up the food I had earlier.

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:14 pm

I agree that being hungry for a meal can and should be cast as a positive.

I think where the concern comes in for some, and this is legit, is getting to like feeling HUNGRY most of the time as a sense of control. That's where you're tipping into anorexia.

But yeah, stomach growling before a meal, then eating a proper meal? Just makes the meal taste good. I like that feeling myself!
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:52 pm

I agree Noel. A mild hunger creates appetite and makes a meal more enjoyable. If I get overly hungry, I tend to overeat when I do eat. The same thing happens when I am too strict with my food choices and try to be too good
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:52 pm

Huh, I hadn't thought about the anoxeria angle (possibly because anoxeria wouldn't be among the top 200 ailments anyone would suspect me of!) But yeah, keeping yourself perpetually starving isn't moderation, it's being extreme in the opposite direction. Fortunately, there's quite a lot of room on the spectrum, in the moderate middle.