Starting S days on Friday night

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

schmiddtty

Starting S days on Friday night

Post by schmiddtty » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:46 pm

This idea has come up here, and I must admit, it seems right somehow. I am so conditioned to celebrate Fridays...have done Friday treat day at 7-11 with my kids for 9 years every Friday after school. I have been foregoing on the treat since No S, but I will need to "chew" on this concept of allowing myself to start Fri. after school. Hmmm....not sure I wouldn't just let it creep down to the rest of the day and end up with 3 full S days over time. I could compensate by ending S earlier on Sunday, but not sure that I personally want to Mess With S! Food for thought.
MJ

Kevin

Careful

Post by Kevin » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:49 pm

I observe the weekend beginning on Friday, with dinner, ending Sunday, with dinner, because it aligns with when we typically socialize (Friday and Saturday evening).

It's much easier to eat too much this way.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:13 pm

Yeah. I'm a kind of 6pm on Friday to 6pm on Sunday person for my weekend.

I am aware that technically this means I have 3 S days, but so far it hasn't caused me too many problems and it's easier for me to stick with it that way. On Friday evenings I only 'half S' anyway, in that I allow myself a small single treat, rather than the 'no holds barred' that rule on Saturday and Sunday before 6pm.

C.
CaroleJo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:19 pm

I've been thinking about this, too...s-days beginning Friday at dinner and ending Sunday at dinner, but I've had so much success with the no-s structure the way it is that I'm kind of afraid to mess with it!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:06 pm

We always start S'sing on Friday evening...
It's only one meal and it hasn't really affected our success negatively..
Usually this means some sort of dessert or I allow some snack..
It doesn't normally include seconds though..
But if it's a total party then we really go easy on the other days of the weekend to balance it out..

Have fun whatever you do!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

hja

Post by hja » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:16 am

Instead of Friday night through Sunday night, why not make Friday a full-on S day and Sunday an N day? Seems a lot more "letter of the law" that way.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:52 am

Some people do actually do that, but it wouldn't work for me. I go out running with the Hash House Harriers on Sunday afternoons and there's always snacks with our beers afterwards. I'd *never* be able to resist them!

C.
CaroleJo

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:04 pm

Be careful. Don't underestimate 1) the power of the "starts with S" clarity you're trading for this and 2) the fact that it may be good to have some prime time eating restricted.

I eat well Friday nights -- but I find that's possible (and preferable) to do within N-day limits.

Best of luck, whatever you decide here.

Reinhard

Laff

Post by Laff » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:48 pm

Yikes! I have enough trouble controlling my S days without increasing the opportunity. :wink: Perhaps one day I will be controlled enough to try that but I can't see it happening without it being the beginning of the end. It is sort of like the elastic that holds up your sweat pants---if it slowly starts unravelling, your pants will fall down!
Make it work for you and if that is what you have to do. . . you better do it!
Gotta smile. Laff

Achieving begins with believing!

schmiddtty

Post by schmiddtty » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:49 pm

You mean it's not spelled Sfriday? Personally, I will most likely lean toward strict letter of the law on this. I don't seem to be able to "just have one." It's all or nothing with me, so I will hold off till official S days. Maybe as I become more self disciplined, I can juggle Fridays a bit. MJ

YoniShomroni

Starting S Days on Friday Night

Post by YoniShomroni » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:43 pm

Absolutely! "And it was evening, and it was morning; Day [#]." 25 years of living life from evening to morning has made me a Believer. For us, it's a natural -- Saturday (Shabbat) begins Friday evening, and lasts through to Saturday evening, when Sunday begins... and it's a day of rest, too.
I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man with no tattoos. -- Jack Rudy

piratejenny

Me too

Post by piratejenny » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:01 pm

I do that, too! I don't snack all day Friday or anything, but I do pop in to the little Guatemalan bakery near my house and buy a dessert to eat with Friday dinner. There's something about digging in to that Tres Leches cake that makes all of the week's abstainance worthwhile. :)
P.J.

want2bhealthy

i aint messin with it! lol

Post by want2bhealthy » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:11 pm

i have been on this for one month and FINALLY, i can stick with something. i know if i start messing with the rules, it will not work for me. in the past, i messed with weight watchers points. saving my pts for a killer mcdonalds dinner. eventually kept going and got completely of plan. on richard simmons i would spend carb windows on potato chips and junk which left me hungry for more. counting calories? for get it. i would deprive myself all week and think i could spend all my calories excessivly on the weekends which spilled over to monday morning. oh and the carbohydrate addicts diet, i would make the one meal we were allowed to have carbs, a one hr binge carb junk fest. all cause i didnt follow the rules of these plans, i thought i could change this and that and it will work. i used to save lots of ww pts for the weekends on my drinks, then i would be starving, so of course that didnt work. sure i lost weight on these but was not happy and couldnt stick to them long term.

sorry for rambling, but this was a good discussion. for me , if i start messing with the rules, i surely will fail!!! i absolutely am tired of failing. there really is no need to go off of the rules of this plan. if i get there urge to splurge on friday night, i make my dinner, real popcorn with real butter and a couple of drinks. but i dont do that every friday. whatever i am doing it is working. so i am not messing with it. i give credit to all that can change it up a bit and still succeed. props to you.
man, i have tried EVERYTHING else, this has to be my last stop.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:21 pm

Ooooh! Tres Leches cake!!!
Yummmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin

want2bhealthy

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:24 am

You are wise to stick to your pattern: if I were sticking to the pattern strictly, I'm sure I'd be losing a little more weight.

For us, Sunday nights are a wrap down time, so it's natural to cool it after lunch on Sunday.

But I'm considering going back to a stricter interpretation. Or, making Sunday a no-S day.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:27 am

w2bh,

You're spot on. I'm aware that by having a treat on Friday I'm breaking the rules. I'm aware on so many levels that this isn't necessary! For me though, this is OK - even helpful(!) provided I'm careful only to make it one very small treat, like a small chocolate bar for dessert after dinner or a small cookie or a stroopwaffel after work on Friday evening.

I can completely understand your stance on it though. Coming from where you have and how you dealt with things in the past it sounds like you know yourself well enough by now to work out the best way for you to stick to this.

Good for you! Self knowledge is a wonderful and powerful thing. We can't even BEGIN to do anything to help ourselves if we don't first work out the things that will cause us problems.

C.
CaroleJo

vorpal

Post by vorpal » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:23 pm

It works (almost!) perfectly in Portuguese:
Monday: Segunda-Feira
Tuesday: Terça-Feira
Wednesday: Quarta-Feira
Thursday: Quinta-Feira
Friday: Sexta-Feira
Saturday: Sábado

Sunday: Domingo