Today is Jiff Lemon Day (it makes sense if you're a Brit)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

carolejo

Today is Jiff Lemon Day (it makes sense if you're a Brit)

Post by carolejo » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:15 pm

It's Shrove Tuesday. Also known as Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, Faschingsdienstag, Carnival Tuesday, pancake day, jiff lemon day, etc etc.

I almost missed it and didn't really plan it. BUT now I know it's Pancake day I *REALLY* want a couple of crepe-style pancakes with lemon and sugar on them for my evening meal.

Is this allowed to be an Special S day, or am I kidding myself? I only plan to 'S' by putting a little sugar on my pancakes this evening, and I don't plan to have more than 3 (they're very thin and light and would easily fit on a plate without it being overloaded).

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:29 pm

Pishaw!
Paul Prudhomme would scoff at your dainty indulgences on Mardi Gras!!!
Where's your gallon container of hurricaines and your foot long fried shrimp po boy, gumbo, redbeans, and some pralines and bread pudding as dessert!

Lassaiz les bon temps roulle (I don't know how to spell this! LOL)

Here's a link to my ex husbands album which celebrates New Orleans music.. It won best traditional album Grammy in 1993..
He's on drums... The title cut is really good!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... nce&n=5174

The last time I was at Mardi Gras, I was 8 months pregnant!
LOL..
The parades were fun though..
Thanks for the reminder CJ.. That kind of cheers me up!
Peace and Love
8) Deb
(ps. I still don't get the lemon thing!)

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:40 pm

OK. There was this TV advertising campaign in the late 80s when I was growing up for a company that makes lemon juice that comes in squeezy lemon-shaped containers.

In the UK, the traditional thing to eat on Shrove Tuesday is thin crepe-style pancakes (made from a thin batter of egg, plain flour and milk, beaten well then left to stand for a few hours to get rid of the air bubbles) topped with lemon juice and sugar, rolled up into a cigar shape and then eaten. with a knife and fork. The Jiff Lemon company had a very successful advertising campaign with someone squirting lemon juice onto an empty dinner plate. The caption and voice over was "don't forget the pancakes on Jiff Lemon Day" and then the date of Shrove Tuesday would appear below it.

Geddit?
C.
CaroleJo

Lilzui

Post by Lilzui » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:51 pm

NOOOOOO..............

Cannot resist pancakes! But will only have a couple today, I promise! Had one with lunch (pb&j sandwich) but it wasn't that nice (college canteen!) So can't wait until dinner, hehe!

Btw, what is everyone giving up for Lent? (remember 40 days & 40 nights with the lush Josh Hartnett!) I might give up chocolate and sweets...hmmmm...we'll see!
'Please God, if you can't make me thin, make my friends fat'!!!

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:10 pm

I'm taking today as an S-Day too. In Sweden they make Shrove Tuesday buns called semlor. They're sweet yeast buns filled with sweetened almond paste and whipped cream. I make them every year "for my husband" (yeah right.) He took most of them to work and left me with four (two for me and two for the cleaning ladies- anyone know how to say almonds in Polish?) They'll need them because it's been a month since they're last visit and I didn't do much in the way of cleaning!

Anyway, I've already had one for breakfast and plan to have another with my afternoon coffee.

Those pancakes sound really good. They sound like something I made a while back. They were called Bismarcks or something.

Maria

schmiddtty

Lent

Post by schmiddtty » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:23 pm

I figure that with No S, I just got into the spirit of Lent a couple months early...2 months tomorrow to be exact. Not snacking between meals is something I have tried a million times for Lent, and never been successful! I feel like I have a head start and do not plan to give up any more, at least in the way of food. MJ

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:38 pm

I'm actually thinking of giving up sweets on the weekends for Lent. I've never actually given anything up for Lent so it should be interesting. I was brought up Greek Orthodox and for Lent there's a pretty strict and long fast. It's basically no meat or dairy products except for a few days. Some days you're not even supposed to have any oil. I think this is the real reason that all those Cretans have such long lives- not because of all the olive oil that they eat but because of all the fasting days throughout the year. Too bad I can't stick to it!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:51 pm

Instead of giving something up, I'm going to do something extra. I'm going to do 25 crunchies every morning for the next 40 days.

25 ab crunchies does sound like almost nothing. But I think it's a sustainable thing and it will take so little time that I almost won't notice it, whilst still build me some stronger ab muscles. I'm gonna do that every single day right after I wake up. AND on weekends. If I manage that I'll be happy.

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:23 pm

I'm giving up sex...

LOL..
Wait a minute I'm more Buddhist..
Forget what I said before.. :wink:

Peace and Love,
8) Deb