Giving this a go

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

EatWell

Giving this a go

Post by EatWell » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:24 pm

Hello,
I've been swimming in a sea of diets off and on for a few years and I am drowning!!!! In the interest of not totally losing my mind I've decided to take some time off and just focus on maintaining my weight for a while even though I am overweight. If this plan can help me avoid getting fatter and help me let go of this obsession with dieting I will consider it successful.

Have any of you been able to get off the diet roller coaster with this plan?

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:29 pm

You have found the right plan! Good luck.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Ani33

Post by Ani33 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Very best of luck!! I'm the same I've been tormenting myself the last few years with diet after diet and battering my self esteem feeling like a failure. I'm focusing on improving my habits and making peace with food.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Completely off the diet roller coaster. Left diet land. Got rid of diet head. Whatever metaphor you want to use for losing the obsession with weight loss and hyper focus on food, No S is it.

veggirl1964

Post by veggirl1964 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:27 pm

As long as you have realistic expectations, and it appears that you do, No S is totally the way to go. I think where people (this includes me in the past) have trouble with it, is when they secretly (or not so secretly) want to lose 10 pounds per week and become super-model skinny. No S will not accomplish that. It will help you learn to maintain your weight and eventually get to a comfortable weight at a snail's pace. It will help you do that without causing you to obsess about every little bite, calorie, point, or gram that you put in your mouth. It will give you tools to habitually eat like a normal person so you can focus your energy on living. Welcome!

Ruff

Post by Ruff » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi there, i am new here too. Great to have another new starter to start with.

EatWell

Post by EatWell » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:25 am

It's good to know I'm not alone. I really need this to work. I just want to let go of obsessing. I feel like I am going insane sometimes thinking about trying this plan or that plan and getting nowhere.

Well, tomorrow is Monday and I'm taking a new approach. I'm not even getting on a scale. I'm going to try and just go with the flow and get the concept of dieting out of my head.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:46 pm

Why not take a look at the testimonial thread?

I think you'll see if you browse the boards that most of us here have given up on traditional diets and have greatly decreased the obsession.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

threewhales

Post by threewhales » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:23 pm

veggirl1964 wrote:As long as you have realistic expectations, and it appears that you do, No S is totally the way to go. I think where people (this includes me in the past) have trouble with it, is when they secretly (or not so secretly) want to lose 10 pounds per week and become super-model skinny. No S will not accomplish that. It will help you learn to maintain your weight and eventually get to a comfortable weight at a snail's pace. It will help you do that without causing you to obsess about every little bite, calorie, point, or gram that you put in your mouth. It will give you tools to habitually eat like a normal person so you can focus your energy on living. Welcome!
Well said:) I needed to read that today.
Vanilla No S ReStart 12/26/16

Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler.
~Albert Einstein

determined

Post by determined » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Welcome to the most sane program you'll ever find. Is it the fastest way to loose weight? Nope. Is it the way to get off the diet roller coaster? Absolutely. I've been on & off diets all my life...and I'm 51. I've been doing NoS on & off for about three years & in my opinion, there is no other option for someone like me who has had a dysfunctional relationship with food forever. There are easy days doing this plan, and there are difficult days...but if you just trust the plan and keep going you'll be off the roller coaster...and that's incredibly freeing.

I ask everyone who is new if they've read the NoS book. I've read it at least 5 times & get something new out of it every time. It's a great book to have on your nightstand.

Welcome & much success to you...

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

used2bskinny

Re: Giving this a go

Post by used2bskinny » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:19 pm

EatWell wrote:Hello,
I've been swimming in a sea of diets off and on for a few years and I am drowning!!!! In the interest of not totally losing my mind I've decided to take some time off and just focus on maintaining my weight for a while even though I am overweight. If this plan can help me avoid getting fatter and help me let go of this obsession with dieting I will consider it successful.

Have any of you been able to get off the diet roller coaster with this plan?
I've been a fewllow swimmer in that sea! Some mornings I have woken up and not known which diet I was currently on!
When the music changes, so does the dance!