Struggling (Binge Eating)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoSnacker

Struggling (Binge Eating)

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:33 am

I'm truly struggling for sometime now, not because No S isn't the most sensible lifestyle around, but because I 'm a emotional/binge eater.

What scares me is that I usually quit when times are tough and what scares me even more is I see a lot of people on fire for a month or two and drop off because they are living in the red zone..I don't want to give up or quit. I think it is time to find a professional to help with this issue that has burdened me for many, many years.

I'm sure the long-timers have seen this go on for many years.

Thanks for listening..just wanted to vent and ask the question....as I know there are a few of us on here with this issue and might like to know...

Has anyone on here beat binge eating?
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Ani33

Post by Ani33 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:43 am

Sorry to hear you are struggling. I think professional help sounds like a great idea. Best of luck.

I had bulemia for ten years and I still have binge/purge emotional eating issues sometimes. Im new to no S and so far my S days are tough but Ill persevere and see how they go for now.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:51 pm

If it helps, there are lots of people on this forum who are cheering for you.

Hang in there.

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:18 pm

When not following a NO S lifestyle type of eating I AM A HORRIBLE BINGE EATER :shock: :shock: :shock:

Something about being able to have whatever I want 3 times a day does it for me. Last night for example 2 hours after dinner I dedicded I really wanted a package of Nature Valley Granola bars, wanted them really BAD :twisted: SO, I told myself, breakfast is coming. I keep those in my car so I can eat a portable breakfast so they were safe out in the driveway :idea: It wasn't easy but I made it :D This is what I do when I start wanting to binge or even snack I get an idea of what I want so badly and decide I can have it in a few hours when I eat that next meal.

With the stomach hunger programs I'd say "oh heck I'll just start with a growl tomorrow" and eat and eat and eat whatever I wanted at the time. Just never got any where with that.

I went for individual therapy, had group therapy, went to OA, took online classes, went to a summer camp four times, listened to CD's and radio programs did workbooks, and read books trying to get help with my binge eating. The result was nil from all of it. :? Food plans were a failure because they completely eliminated so many things I love to eat and I coiuldn't deal with never eating those foods again. Weighing and measuring drove me nuts. Eat when your hungry, well you know how that went for me.

Eating 3 meals a day of anything I want, no seconds, day in and day out is all that's ever worked.
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Yeah, I know someone who did. YOU did!!!! You had great success with this and you will again. here are some facts I know. I am certain the more I resist the easier it gets, and the more I give in the harder it gets. I believe there is no cure but there is recovery from this.
I think it is important to remember what helped us.....when we are in the dark place it seems like it will last forever but it won't. You really need to distract yourself. either get something done you have been putting off, do something fun you have been wanting to do, or sit and think of someone you can reach out and be helpful to and GET OUT OF YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!
One foot in front of the other.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Ruff

Post by Ruff » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:16 pm

You can do this. my daughter is bulimic, and is doing sooooooo well. I know you can do this. The hardest part is telling people in the first place.

So, you have told us. What you need now are displacement activities. My daughter has then written down. She picks one appropriate to the time. The first one is get amongst other people, fast. You are not going to binge in the middle of your workmates. Her second one is ring me. Do you have a safe, non judgmental person to ring? And so on...whatever works for you to stop a crisis in its tracks.

Last week she brought food to binge on, stood in the supermarket doorway on the phone to me, and managed to put the lot in the foodbank before leaving! I was so proud of her.

Professional help is a great idea, but make sure you and the person are in harmony. One person who tried to help my daughter made her write down everything she ever ate, and how she felt about it. This was too much focus on food, and she got worse. She is actually doing better with just me and her on the case. We also use things like bach flower remedies. They may be placebos but as my daughter says, better a placebo that works than chemicals that also work and are addictive too!

You are brave, bold and resolute, and you can do this! Go for it!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:44 pm

snapdragon wrote:here are some facts I know. I am certain the more I resist the easier it gets, and the more I give in the harder it gets. I believe there is no cure but there is recovery from this.
I think it is important to remember what helped us.....when we are in the dark place it seems like it will last forever but it won't. You really need to distract yourself. either get something done you have been putting off, do something fun you have been wanting to do, or sit and think of someone you can reach out and be helpful to and GET OUT OF YOURSELF!!!!!!!!! One foot in front of the other.
Wow this was great...and truly what I needed to read....you are so right when you are in that place the darkness can be overwhelming..but I can feel a small light starting up!

Get out of yourself,,,is good..I think I'll tell my husband I'm ready to binge behind his back...sometimes I can hide with him just sitting there...

Thanks....

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks to each and everyone of you..I have read this post over a few times and I'm finding the strength to press onwards...for today anyway I can try.

deb

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:39 pm

When you are ready, you might want to read The End of Overeating by Dr David Kessler. He explains the brain chemistry behind bingeing. It might help to know that what you are experiencing is part physiological rather than purely psychological. There are very real, very compelling reasons why you feel what you feel.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi Debs (((((((((hugs))))))))))

Just read your post and popping in with my two cents !

I was a binge eater for many years and even now on the No S Diet I find that weekends were and still are a license to scarf everything in sight. HOWever, I believe that if I were not following No S, my bingeing would be out of control during the week and at weekends. So I am very grateful to No S for helping me get some kind of organization (its an ongoing thing so I'm not 'cured' ) It has also freed me of the horrible roundabout of diet binge diet (look for the holy grail and give up after a few days) which, in fact, was far more taxing and worrying for me, personally, than the bingeing/over eating ever was. My weekends were a binge battlefield at the start and now after almost 10 months on the plan, I still have trouble with weekends but.... gradually....they are getting a little more organized and I even get fuller quicker than I used to. So if you can keep hanging in there like you have been doing I think you will start to see a difference. I know it sounds a drag, and I never believed I would ever get to the stage I am now (starting to feel indifferent to most sweet foods/desserts which are my 'downfall/addiction'). I still have the S Day license to binge stamped on my forehead but I can see light at the end of the tunnel now. I also get disheartened that 2 S Days can instantly put 2 - 3 lbs back on me and it takes almost the 5 N Days to get back down again. Perhaps I should think of this when I have that 2nd large slice of cheesecake on my S Days (1 large slice is perhaps more than enough???) lol. It is difficult though and if it were that simple, then we wouldn't have weight/food issues in the first place!

Have a great week, hon and look forward to your next post(s)!

xxx
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

lavie

Post by lavie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:32 pm

Hey :)
I have a bit of a binge eating problem, when I'm stressed or tired. And I'm working on it, and it's getting better. I think the key to beating it is to keep trying, to know yourself, and to figure out what works for you personally. I know, for me, that keeping busy helps, keeping a rough food log helps, allowing myself regular treats helps, and really savoring my food helps. Loosening up a little, eating enough fat and protein, and limiting fruit and sweets helps. Anything that reduces my stress helps. Pay attention to your moods and triggers. Reach out for support. And be kind to yourself. You can beat it.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:46 am

Limiting fruit helps fight off binge eating?! Wow.

This is why the one-size-fits-all diet just doesn't work. Fruit is my friend, not something I have to guard against. We're all do different, which is a good thing, but complicated.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:31 am

Blithe Morning wrote:When you are ready, you might want to read The End of Overeating by Dr David Kessler. He explains the brain chemistry behind bingeing. It might help to know that what you are experiencing is part physiological rather than purely psychological. There are very real, very compelling reasons why you feel what you feel.
I will definitely check out the book..I have read a few on binging over the years that did not help, but perhaps I might find some insight from this one. Thanks for the suggestion....

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:33 am

Who Me? wrote:Fruit is my friend, not something I have to guard against. We're all do different, which is a good thing, but complicated.
Fruit is my friend toooo...I think it has helped me to do so well in the beginning of No S, without it I might have felt really really deprived.

But on the other hand, I guess if sugar can be a trigger, then I can understand limiting it up some.

But for me, I'm not willing or ready to give it up :)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:37 am

NoSRocks wrote:Hi Debs (((((((((hugs))))))))))

Just read your post and popping in with my two cents !
You young lady always make me smile....especially our past conversations about the scale..

It sounds like your weekdays are going great...I'll be joining you soon I hope on that one..

Cheesecake might be an issue for me to have around...love the stuff...

Thanks for the encouragement..
deb

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:40 am

lavie wrote:Reach out for support. And be kind to yourself. You can beat it.
I sure did and found a lot of support here..thanksss for sharing your story. Not so kind to myself yet, but will need to work on that.

How much fruit do you allow yourself? I have it a couple times a day but would feel so totally deprived it I didn't have it..

determined

Post by determined » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:38 pm

Ruff wrote:You can do this. my daughter is bulimic, and is doing sooooooo well. I know you can do this. The hardest part is telling people in the first place.

So, you have told us. What you need now are displacement activities. My daughter has then written down. She picks one appropriate to the time. The first one is get amongst other people, fast. You are not going to binge in the middle of your workmates. Her second one is ring me. Do you have a safe, non judgmental person to ring? And so on...whatever works for you to stop a crisis in its tracks.

Last week she brought food to binge on, stood in the supermarket doorway on the phone to me, and managed to put the lot in the foodbank before leaving! I was so proud of her.

Professional help is a great idea, but make sure you and the person are in harmony. One person who tried to help my daughter made her write down everything she ever ate, and how she felt about it. This was too much focus on food, and she got worse. She is actually doing better with just me and her on the case. We also use things like bach flower remedies. They may be placebos but as my daughter says, better a placebo that works than chemicals that also work and are addictive too!

Ruff...WOW! You must be so proud of your daughter's progress. I can't imagine watching her struggle through bulimia. If this isn't a testimony to how powerful this plan is, I don't know what would be!

Deb...I've been a binge eater literally all my life (I'm 51). I've been doing NoS on & off for about 3 years. I haven't figured out all the reasons I've given up in the past, but as soon as I throw in the NoS towel, I revert back to unhealthy eating & binging. This plan is NOT easy...but I'm convinced this plan takes the emphasis off of food, and slowly heals us from the urges to binge. I'm not there yet, but I know I'm on the road to being healthy.

There's a ton of great advice in this thread so all I'll add is this - be kind to yourself & just take one day at a time. You're not just working on a diet, you're trying to change your whole way of looking at food...and that's just not easy for anyone. We're so conditioned to think of "success" in dieting as being quick...but that's not necessarily the true indicator of any life change. You're doing really hard work...but the rewards are so worth it. So hang in there...hold on to the basic principles...and know that we're here to cheer you on....

Hugs to you Deb....janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Ani33

Post by Ani33 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Ruff wrote:You can do this. my daughter is bulimic, and is doing sooooooo well. I know you can do this. The hardest part is telling people in the first place.

Your daughter is very lucky to have such an amazing mum!!!!!!!!!!!!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:04 pm

AWW! :oops: nice of you to say so, Debs! Thanks also for your encouraging posts, too. Always nice to hear from you :)

Not been so good this week however - my work schedule is a little different for the next week or two - less time for exercise unfortunately. When I say exercise, I mean the walking regime. I've still been trying to keep up the exercise bike but I am definitely getting to the stage - never thought I'd see the day - LOL! of feeling guilty for not exercising or keeping up the level of exercise I normally do. I feel a bit sluggish with the lack of exercise even though its only been a few days. Still hanging on to 165 lbs this week.... usually 2 N Days get me back to 163 lbs but not so at the moment. I'm hoping it will get back down once I return to regular working hours. I'm not knocking it btw, but when you've been used to seeing the lower weight for a while and all of a sudden, it goes up a bit, even by a .5 lb - I start to get a little concerned. That again is the 'worst' part of weighing daily!! But I do feel pretty good NoS-ers so I apologize if i sound negative in any way. I don't mean to come across like that. Have a great week, everyone. Here's to us ALL!!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:26 pm

PS: Meant to add: dr has put me back on thyroid med (low dosage) so it will be interesting to see if it affects my weight. I have only been on it for approx. 10 days - I figured it takes a week or two to kick in. I've got Hashi's (which is the thyroid goes through periods of under (hypo) to over (hyper) activity, and I believe, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - that eventually the thyroid becomes under active permanently. Again, I'm not 100% sure but I think that there are different degrees of hashi's in that not everyone affected needs medication to the other end of the spectrum... their thyroid can completely give out. BUT I STRESS ! I am in no way a dr or an authority on this, and the last thing I want to do is freak out anyone else who may have this condition (if you get my meaning !); just going by what I've heard/read online about it; everyone is different and it may affect them in different ways.

PPS: Have a good (forthcoming) weekend, all!!

tacodiscos

Post by tacodiscos » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:00 pm

3-0-7 girl wrote:When not following a NO S lifestyle type of eating I AM A HORRIBLE BINGE EATER :shock: :shock: :shock:

Something about being able to have whatever I want 3 times a day does it for me. Last night for example 2 hours after dinner I dedicded I really wanted a package of Nature Valley Granola bars, wanted them really BAD :twisted: SO, I told myself, breakfast is coming. I keep those in my car so I can eat a portable breakfast so they were safe out in the driveway :idea: It wasn't easy but I made it :D This is what I do when I start wanting to binge or even snack I get an idea of what I want so badly and decide I can have it in a few hours when I eat that next meal.

With the stomach hunger programs I'd say "oh heck I'll just start with a growl tomorrow" and eat and eat and eat whatever I wanted at the time. Just never got any where with that.

I went for individual therapy, had group therapy, went to OA, took online classes, went to a summer camp four times, listened to CD's and radio programs did workbooks, and read books trying to get help with my binge eating. The result was nil from all of it. :? Food plans were a failure because they completely eliminated so many things I love to eat and I coiuldn't deal with never eating those foods again. Weighing and measuring drove me nuts. Eat when your hungry, well you know how that went for me.

Eating 3 meals a day of anything I want, no seconds, day in and day out is all that's ever worked.
I love this! I am also a binge eater... did OA, etc... there's hope for me!!
Start date: 7/21/15, apx 180lbs
2/5/16, -16lbs, 164

kwerp

Post by kwerp » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:55 am

Just to chime in, I also deal with over eating. It's been about a week on No S, and I haven't binged. Normally I would diet strictly, then get sick of the rules, break them, then lick my wounds by over eating ALL weekend. I could gain 10 lbs in water weight/ food bloat over 2 days. Showing up at work on Monday was always a horrible experience when I had THAT much bloat on me. I'd then restrict like mad all week, maybe lose 2-5 of bloat, then repeat. Sometimes I'd reign it in for a month - lose 10 lbs, then something would happen, and I'd gain it all back.

Now, with no food off-limits, I'm so much more calm around food. The need to constantly graze is gone. I look forward to every meal, and I love that no one knows I'm 'dieting.' Last Sunday I had some sour patch kids because my husband bought a pack, but I didn't eat HALF the pack. And ok, I had two *mini* ice cream sandwiches, but they have remained untouched since then. I'm looking forward to one on Saturday, but until then I'm calm.

It's early days for me, but I'm hoping to be someone who sticks to this and sticks around. :)

tacodiscos

Post by tacodiscos » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:55 am

kwerp wrote:Just to chime in, I also deal with over eating. It's been about a week on No S, and I haven't binged. Normally I would diet strictly, then get sick of the rules, break them, then lick my wounds by over eating ALL weekend. I could gain 10 lbs in water weight/ food bloat over 2 days. Showing up at work on Monday was always a horrible experience when I had THAT much bloat on me. I'd then restrict like mad all week, maybe lose 2-5 of bloat, then repeat. Sometimes I'd reign it in for a month - lose 10 lbs, then something would happen, and I'd gain it all back.

Now, with no food off-limits, I'm so much more calm around food. The need to constantly graze is gone. I look forward to every meal, and I love that no one knows I'm 'dieting.' Last Sunday I had some sour patch kids because my husband bought a pack, but I didn't eat HALF the pack. And ok, I had two *mini* ice cream sandwiches, but they have remained untouched since then. I'm looking forward to one on Saturday, but until then I'm calm.

It's early days for me, but I'm hoping to be someone who sticks to this and sticks around. :)
Wow!! This is great! I am the exact same way! I lose and regain the same 25 lbs from being restrictive then overeating. I love the ketogenic diet but that severe restriction, while it worked for a year or two and I looked and felt great, led me to gain alll of it back because of the restrictions... and yes... the bloat!! I can bloat up to 10 lbs, too! I'm in week one also! Thank you for sharing your experience!!
Start date: 7/21/15, apx 180lbs
2/5/16, -16lbs, 164

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:36 am

BTW, nosnacker has "defected" to a diet: Trim Healthy Mama. She's very happy about it. It has been only a few months, but she's finally below 190 and very glad.

It turns out that she was still trying to eat rather low fat on No S and overdoing it with refined carbs. THM advocates "healthy" fats and reining in the carbs. She's doing a fair amount of cooking. She does have a bit of dessert every day and no official days off. But she eats mostly three meals!

No S doesn't say you can't use other guidelines for your meals as well.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:21 pm

My experience may not be too helpful, but I briefly saw a counselor to talk about bingeing and don't feel like it helped very much. In my experience, bingeing is a result of stress and depression, and when I stay busy or eat in public, the bingeing decreases. Of course that doesn't keep me from wanting to binge. I've just had an awareness of when and why binges happen.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53