PMS: How do you ladies keep from eating the whole planet?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mrslenna

PMS: How do you ladies keep from eating the whole planet?

Post by mrslenna » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:08 am

I just went through a couple of days where I was ready to eat pretty much any snack and sweet, including (but not limited to) stale oreo cookies. My cousin, who is my NoS buddy, is always lacking hope when PMS comes around too.

My only strategies are to:
a) try to distract myself, which is tough because my hormones tend to follow me around,
b) let whatever vision of fooderific loveliness float through my brain and out the other side as I gnash my teeth in restraint, and
c) put myself in the bathtub and hope the craving dissipates before the water turns cold.

Reinhard, though infinitely wise and funny, is lacking the chromosome to lead me through this.

I love NoS, even though my goofy scale (which btw, I chose by putting 5 scales onto the floor at the store and picking the one that gave me the lowest number :wink: ) continues to laugh at me.

I know that every PMS day is a chance to learn how to deal with them, but I'd love to hear how you do it!

...6 weeks in, 6 weeks happier, 6 weeks more relaxed (present state not included)...
Life rewards action, not intention.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:09 am

I bow to the inevitable: no way am I going to fight my biology.

So, my monthly routine is:
Get hit hard by the chocolate cravings - usually around midnight or some unsociable time.
Get into car; drive to nearest filling station shop.
Try not to murder people smiling at me (or not smiling at me, as the case may be). Try not to take prisoners.
Buy the 3 chocolate bars that satisfy silly cravings.
If the shop is out of stock of any of the blessed 3, accept no substitutes: drive to the next shop. Repeat as necessary.
Stuff face.
Feel like a normal human being the next day.

I don't even mark this on my habitcal as a fail: I very rarely eat sweets, so I see this as a switched S-day (or a dire medical emergency that warrant a S(ick) day
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare

veggirl1964

Post by veggirl1964 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Peppermint tea! If I'm dying for something, I drink peppermint tea (I think I had about 10 cups yesterday, but it got me through the bad cravings). And I ate myself silly at meal times.

Lily x

Post by Lily x » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:44 pm

I feel your pain. Now that I'm in my early 40s, my PMS symptoms seem to have reached an all time peak, grrrr.

However... it is perfectly possible not to give into the urge to eat sweets and snacks. It's uncomfortable but it doesn't kill you (though of course, your OH and significant others might just kill you instead... ;)).

But seriously - make sure this isn't just a habit of thinking you've gotten into. 'I've got PMS therefore I deserve sweets and snacks' is surely a habit, just like any other habit. And the best thing about No S is that it teaches us that new habits can be acquired.

So, first thing to say - make sure that on PMS days you're eating sufficient food to keep you going at mealtimes. It might be that you need an extra meal on those days. To my mind, it's got to be better to have 4 planned meals, rather than allow yourself to go on a sweets and snacks rampage.

Secondly - don't forget that drinks don't necessarily constitute a cheat. How about trying to keep your PMS urges at bay by having some hot chocolate?

NERunner

Post by NERunner » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:00 pm

I'm so glad someone asked this question!!! I'm on my 4th week of no S, and so far only one red day. I had a terrible cold, so I guess it could've been counted as an S day, but it wasn't chicken noodle soup I was eating, it was seconds on pizza, and 3 oreos before I went to bed :? . Anyway, after an okay weekend, PMS is here with a vengeance, and so far I'm resisting the cravings. Eating a much later dinner has helped somewhat, I've eaten only a couple of hours before I go to bed so I don't have as much time to think about it. I'm also drinking more water and so far so good....we'll see how today and tomorrow are.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:00 am

I go hungry. It's rough. And sometimes, I rebound on the weekends. I dare not fiddle with the rules, though, as that would be the first step on the slippery slope for me.

mrslenna

Thanks for the reply, ladies

Post by mrslenna » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:05 am

I loved the first reply, though I already have more than enough S days on my calendar - my husband is a pastor, so there's quite a few evening/social functions each month. I'm already averaging 4 N-days a week, so I need another coping mechanism for PMS.

I did "cave" today, but nothing like before...a bowl of popcorn (and then lunch) and 2 cups of hot chocolate through the day. I'm trying really hard to keep the spirit of No-S alive, which to me has a lot to do with relaxing about food and keeping the long, long term in mind. So I am colouring the day red on the habitcal, but I'm not that upset about it...if I could, I'd give the day a red corner instead.

I'm loving a product by Natural Factors called Mental Calmness. It's a green tea extract called L-Theanine, and it works to cut that "mind on a treadmill" stuff that happens with PMS. When I can't stop thinking about Toblerone, a couple of Mental Calmness help me move on to another subject.

I agree that I need to keep checking my thinking...is it a habit or an uncontrollable urge??? I like Reinhard's quote, "If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer." I'm so grateful for a more thoughtful approach to food in general.

If I'm feeling weird again tomorrow, I'm going to try the suggestion of adding a mini-meal. It would be preferable to waiting for my brain to land on something.

:)

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Thanks for posting this subject. I have been having one of those PMS craving weeks. I want to keep eating after I just ate! It does not help to give in, I would just end up permasnacking and not really feel better. And I've been wanting chocolate. This is only my 2nd week of no chocolate on N days. The first week was really no problem. I was allowing myself extra dark chocolate because most people would not call it sweet, and it definitely does not get most of its calories from sugar. 86 % cocoa. But here in Mexico, it costs 3 times as much and the brand I can get doesn't taste as good. So I have been making myself lots of tea. And yes the mint tea helps the most. I put stevia in it. Tomorrow I can have Chocolate!! Yay!! I did bring some good dark chocolate with me. I don't have any cocoa right now, but what I used to do is make a cup of homemade cocoa with hot water, about a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa, and about 3 T of half and half, sweetened with stevia. It really helps. Wish I had some, but couldn't find it at the store last week.
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:01 am

I allow myself big plates and as much hot chocolate I need.. but it usually helps just to cuddle up in a blanket, with a hot water bottle and A LOT of tea.

And I think Lily x is right, it is just another habit we have to replace (:
Expectation exists when there is fear.
- Swami

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:31 pm

I agree with lily X about this one. Yes, it's uncomfortable it's not going to hurt me. I too wonder how much of it is habit and an excuse to eat whatever I want.
I know if I have some time under my belt it doesn't hit so bad and if I am exercising and drinking water it's even better.
This is possible it's not inevitable that I will eat at this time.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:38 am

I found some Hersheys cocoa in the store. Having hot chocolate right now, it helps so much! 8) I don't have half & half, but whole milk works too.
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

Sydneycat

How I did it ...

Post by Sydneycat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:40 am

Pre No S I would have had really bad hungry days with PMS. Someone then recommended Evening Primrose Oil Supplements so I have a high strength one, a good multiple vitamin and mineral together with a normal strength Starflower oil capsule. I can honestly say I don't have PMS anymore, no monthly facial zits, no cramps, no cravings, no bloating, no constipation. Honestly. Just not sure where healthy oil supplements fit into no s living.

Anne
Anne ---x---

mrslenna

Re: How I did it ...

Post by mrslenna » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:22 am

Sydneycat wrote:Pre No S I would have had really bad hungry days with PMS. Someone then recommended Evening Primrose Oil Supplements so I have a high strength one, a good multiple vitamin and mineral together with a normal strength Starflower oil capsule. I can honestly say I don't have PMS anymore, no monthly facial zits, no cramps, no cravings, no bloating, no constipation. Honestly. Just not sure where healthy oil supplements fit into no s living.

Anne
I came on here to post that this past month I've been taking Primrose Oil pretty much every day, and it's taken care of the PMS symptoms almost all together!! I wanted to repaint the kitchen and eat chinese food for a couple of days, but seriously, that's nothing!
I take 1000mg a day, and it's a lifesaver! And I agree with Sydneycat about the skin...my skin looks terrific!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:I go hungry. It's rough. And sometimes, I rebound on the weekends. I dare not fiddle with the rules, though, as that would be the first step on the slippery slope for me.
This.

I have an agreement with my body. I WILL eat my three meals a day, and I will make sure that food is tasty and nourishing. But after that, I am taking no shit from my hormones or my appetite. 3 billion years of women got by without chocolate when they had their periods. (Even 500 years ago, chocolate was a drink for the warrior ruler as an aphrodisiac, anyway). A lot of the planet doesn't have enough to eat AT ALL. I can tolerate three meals a day and am delighted to be so rich that overabundance of food is actually a PROBLEM.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:34 am

NoelFigart wrote:
Blithe Morning wrote:I go hungry. It's rough. And sometimes, I rebound on the weekends. I dare not fiddle with the rules, though, as that would be the first step on the slippery slope for me.
This.

I have an agreement with my body. I WILL eat my three meals a day, and I will make sure that food is tasty and nourishing. But after that, I am taking no shit from my hormones or my appetite. 3 billion years of women got by without chocolate when they had their periods. (Even 500 years ago, chocolate was a drink for the warrior ruler as an aphrodisiac, anyway). A lot of the planet doesn't have enough to eat AT ALL. I can tolerate three meals a day and am delighted to be so rich that overabundance of food is actually a PROBLEM.
Thanks for this pep talk, very true and I needed it! 8)
Patty

krawford13

Post by krawford13 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:48 am

NoelFigart wrote:
This.

Love it!!!
kat