First week thoughts

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

samhandwich

First week thoughts

Post by samhandwich » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:01 pm

Well, first of all, this has been a lot easier than I expected so far. The (nighttime) sugar cravings I thought would be my immediate downfall faded quickly. By day three it was pretty much a non-issue.

The thing that has been most surprising is that eating this way is almost a relief. I don't have to decide if I should have a snack or not, have dessert or not...the decision is already made and there's no need to argue with myself. When it's time to eat, it's time to eat. I eat my one plate of food, whatever it may be, don't feel guilty about it, and then I know I'm done.

The last thing I tired was counting calories. I definitely lost weight that way, but it was unsustainable for me. I got sick of entering everything I ate into the computer...and I gained the weight back. Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm eating no more calories on No S -- maybe less even because with calorie counting, if I had a couple hundred calories leftover in the budget at the end of the day, I'd generally have a little more ice cream or whatever. Now, I just eat as much as my hunger demands at mealtimes and that's it. Some days it's probably a bit over my calorie budget, some days a bit under. In the end, I suspect it evens out.

I've lost one pound so far, which is great by me.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:17 am

Sounds like you're doing really well. Good for you!

vmsurbat

Re: First week thoughts

Post by vmsurbat » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:40 am

samhandwich wrote: Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm eating no more calories on No S -- maybe less even because with calorie counting, if I had a couple hundred calories leftover in the budget at the end of the day, I'd generally have a little more ice cream or whatever.
I've lost all my weight (45lbs and still losing! :D ) with NoS. Even so, about every six months I spend two or three days entering what I eat on a food log....mainly because I can't believe how much good satisfying food I get to eat and still lose weight. Whenever I do, I've found that overall, I eat a good amount of calories but not too much. However, like you, on those few days that I note calorie counts, and I see that my total is on the lower side of normal, I'll feel entitled to a bit more at the next meal. :? Crazy, really.

I think this year I'll just skip the calorie-count-reality-check-in.... Thanks!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

krawford13

Re: First week thoughts

Post by krawford13 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:44 am

samhandwich wrote:
The thing that has been most surprising is that eating this way is almost a relief. I don't have to decide if I should have a snack or not, have dessert or not...the decision is already made and there's no need to argue with myself. When it's time to eat, it's time to eat. I eat my one plate of food, whatever it may be, don't feel guilty about it, and then I know I'm done.
Well said, exactly how I feel.
kat

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:55 am

You're doing great!
Congratulations!
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

SunCat

Post by SunCat » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Nicely said. Hope you continue to do so well.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:17 am

Yes, cutting down on the decision-making is a central strength of No S.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)