Looking for inspiration

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sydneycat

Looking for inspiration

Post by Sydneycat » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Well, I am sitting here trying for the first time an alcoholic ginger beer (and very nice too!).

I am not depressed in the slightest but feeling rather pessimistic on the diet front. I cannot stick to anything and I worry that I will never lose weight having been static for the last seven years.

I find not categorically being told quite distressing as I fear that I will get it wrong. I cannot seem to get my mass onto the stationary bike in my bedroom despite knowing that I must if things to start moving in a downward direction.

Anybody in the mood to reassure me that if I follow No S I will be OK?

Does anyone do No S but modify with lower fat products like semi-skimmed milk?

Thanks

Guys
Anne ---x---

vmsurbat

Re: Looking for inspiration

Post by vmsurbat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:00 am

Sydneycat wrote:Well, I am sitting here trying for the first time an alcoholic ginger beer (and very nice too!).

I am not depressed in the slightest but feeling rather pessimistic on the diet front. I cannot stick to anything and I worry that I will never lose weight having been static for the last seven years.

I find not categorically being told quite distressing as I fear that I will get it wrong. I cannot seem to get my mass onto the stationary bike in my bedroom despite knowing that I must if things to start moving in a downward direction.

Anybody in the mood to reassure me that if I follow No S I will be OK?

Does anyone do No S but modify with lower fat products like semi-skimmed milk?
I'm in the mood! :)

Choosing to follow NoS priniciples and joining this board CAN get you where you want to go: a healthy weight in a (reasonably) enjoyable manner.

I'm 5'2", 50+ years, and have thyroid issues.... I've followed NoS for three years and am down more than 45 lbs (and still losing even though I'm now in normal BMI range). I've enjoyed every bit of my journey, too! You can read my testimonial(s) here:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7858

But, I want to address your concerns about being told exactly what to eat/do (assuming I understood your post correctly!). Instead of a long list of good foods/bad foods/rules, NoS gives you structure (the 3 rules + S Day exception) and freedom (choose the foods you like). The NoS diet treats you like an adult (ie. responsible) and while it IS a little scary to be in the driver's seat, you can do it!

Let's look at the three very simple rules:

No Snacks, No Sweets, No Seconds on N Days. Don't overthink these rules! Another way of phrasing this is:

Enjoy three meals a day. Eat what you like as long as it is not a dessert and fits on your plate. So, do you LIKE semi-skimmed milk? If so, then drink it! (I do, to drink, but not for cooking--I have low-fat milk, whole milk, half 'n' half, and full cream in my frig right now--ALL fit into my NoS lifestyle).

I saw your other post where you wondered if you would lose weight on your Grandma's diet. A better question is: Would you enjoy it? Does it fit YOU in terms of time (to shop, prepare, cook), finances (affordable), and enjoyment (you'd look forward to those meals).

Whatever you do to lose weight is what you are going to have to do the rest of your life to keep it off. This truth has been extremely motivating to me. It has kept me from following the paths of the NoSugar/LoCarbs diet. It means I can read "health/nutrition" advice and use my own noggin in evaluating it. For example, we regularly enjoy homemade muffins and pancakes for breakfast, I like a bit of butter with my bread, and every so often I find a small glass of orange juice to be so refreshing. I can find lots of opinions on why I ought not eat those things , even right here on the NoS boards, but so what? I enjoy them, they've historically been a part of my cultural food heritage, and in my mind, fit in with NoS principles (after all, pancake and muffin recipes are found in the BREAD section of my cookbook, not the dessert section).

All this to say: GO FOR IT. Work on your N day habits and enjoy all your meals. Post and ask questions if you are concerned--we are a very supportive bunch.
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:35 pm

I totally agree with Vicki. You have to settle into an eating pattern that you can sustain. It has to be satisfying to you. I find that I have given up the unhealthy stuff that I can avoid without missing it, and I have hung onto the things that I occasionally crave.

I am a vanilla No S person. I stick strictly to the basic rules with no modifications. However, I also try to eat healthy foods as much as I can within my 3 plates. Healthy does not mean unappetizing, but it is sometimes more work to prepare.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Sydneycat

Thanks for your input guys :-)

Post by Sydneycat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:10 am

Well, we have a solution.

Hubby is 5ft 9 and weighs 147 lbs (10 st 7 lbs). He is not skinny but not fat - just right. He doesn't exercise but eats what he wants when he wants. I have grilled him.

He genuinely doesn't want or feel he needs the quantity of foods that I consume on not dieting days, nor does he feel that he is missing out or being deprived in any way shape or form by not cramming as much into his mouth as he can of any food. He eats everything in moderation. If he wants a fried bacon and egg sandwich he has one, is satisfied with one, and doesn't feel the need for more. If he fancies a biscuit he will take two out of the tin with a cup of coffee eat two and that's it. Some days he has biscuits, others he fancies an apple depends on what he is in the mood for. He never gains weight. He says we are not in a war, there are no rations and the food is not going to run away or become unavailable any time in the near future, so there is no need to cram as much as he can in his mouth for fear that he doesn't know where the next meal is coming from.

So, having spoken at length, he will be deciding and giving me his meals based on what he eats. Other rules are basic No S principle, which he said is common sense - so, three meals a day, eating enough to stop hunger until next meal time with no junk, no snacking, and exercise must be done every day for half an hour. He has challenged me to do this for a week, from Tuesday Nov 1st, see the results and test it for a week. I am up for the challenge. For anyone interested in following, I will start a new diary thread in the right place and keep it up to date and log what I am eating and doing exercise wise with start weight and my weight in a weeks time.

Thanks for all the advice and guidance.

Love these boards.

Thanks

Anne x
Anne ---x---

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:19 am

Let us know how it goes. Personally, I couldn't let my DH dictate what I eat as I would quickly grow resentful. But every couple is different and this might be just the ticket for you.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:07 am

I echo what Blithe said.

Sydneycat

Here goes ...

Post by Sydneycat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:57 am

Hubby is a bit like a house husband, well he's a plumber working from home self employed. He does the groceries and the cooking and I go out to work full time on a shift pattern. Quitting interfering will make things easier for me and I won't have to think or stress about it! This morning he bought me up a huge bowl of porridge made with semi-skimmed milk and a cup of tea. I choose myself to quit drinking alcohol completely as glass ceilings don't work for me on that or chocolate, or biscuits, or cake, as I am very much an all or nothing person who consumes because stuff is there! So porridge for breakfast, and the bowl was huge but one bowl, sandwiches with a few crisps for lunch and whatever he has cooked when I get home. Thirty minutes on either the stationary bike or the Wii Fit after dinner and I should be green. I hope it's as easy as it sounds when typing!!!!!

I am sure that if I up in a few advance requests for things I fancy hubby will accommodate as he is very good like that ;-) at the same time he is reading the No S book and won't let me slip up seeing as I can't control myself!

Have a great day guys.

Anne x
Anne ---x---