Question about granola bars

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Tink117

Question about granola bars

Post by Tink117 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:29 am

So I'm sure you've seen the NUMEROUS different types of granola and cereal bars out there. I was wondering this morning when I saw a cereal bar I had that has chocolate over it, would this be allowed for N days? I also have Fiber one brownies that I am thinking are a no go because they are .. well.. brownies! I'm wondering if the granola bars with chocolate bottoms or drizzle would be ok or are they considered sweets? Thanks in advance! I'm a total newbie =P This is my day 2 :)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:43 am

They are sweets in my book, despite their desperate attempt to appear otherwise. Just because it has oats in it doesn't mean that it's a proper breakfast food.

If you want the health benefits of granola, eat granola. Essentially, granola is a variation on oatmeal. It's oats, nuts, fruit and some sugar (honey and/or brown sugar) and fat (oil or butter, I've seen both). Even the most organic granola is still very caloric.

veggirl1964

Post by veggirl1964 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:52 am

I agree - I count granola bars as a sweet. My husband used to get the Fiber One Bars with the chocolate chips, and they tasted as sweet as a candy bar to me. He stopped buying them when he started NoSing.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:11 am

My issue with bars is that they are just so dense and don't provide the satisfaction of a meal, which is a similar problem with sweets for me, so I can easily overeat them. I would have to be really carefully to chew them a lot to get the same bang for the buck in eating satisfaction for the amount of sugar they have in them as a fruit for sure. And personally, I know one would make me want more, whereas one apple does not make me want more. I think it's also because there is no water content. I just think all dry food is easy to overeat.

If I react to it like a sweet, it's a sweet.

Why not just have cereal in a bowl with milk and nuts? And eat it with a spoon? I find satisfaction from sitting and eating. I can't imagine sitting at the table to eat a cereal bar. I choose hi-fiber, low sugar cereals like Trader Joe's brand.

Unless you absolutely need the convenience.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:30 pm

They're faux-healthy cookies, as far as I'm concerned.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:03 pm

My 2¢: Granola or other bars are no more appropriate for N days than candy bars.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Tink117

Post by Tink117 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:33 pm

Thank you all for your opinion. I think I may switch to nuts and maybe some cereal to munch on with breakfast. I eat 2 meals on the go so convenience is important to me as well :)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:57 pm

May I ask why you eat "on the go?"

Tink117

Post by Tink117 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:24 am

Who Me? wrote:May I ask why you eat "on the go?"
Sure thing :) I'm a student/student teacher so I eat breakfast 4 days a week on my way to teaching/class and then 2 days a week I eat my lunch in my car and the other 2 days in a computer lab... crazy crazy!

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:06 pm

I eat the Nature Valley granola bars, plain regular ones not covered or dipped in chocolate etc..... for breakfast on the way to work *along with* a handful of nuts and few grapes or peice of fruit A LOT. It's very convenient and in my mind with no candy coating attached and eaten with fruit and nuts it's healthy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:46 pm

From what I can see, most bars are just rebranded cookies.

I prefer to enjoy actual cookies on S-days.

From the home page:
What about diet bars?

Any diet that sells a bar or a snack food is a total scam. I'd rather eat a snickers bar than a zone bar, because at least then I'd be psychologically budgeting for it. They should call it the self-deception bar. The diet bar is what separates the total scams from the mere fads.
Reinhard