A vaguely amusing difficulty.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ThomsonsPier

A vaguely amusing difficulty.

Post by ThomsonsPier » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:21 pm

I've come across a new obstruction to No-S in the form of my theatrical hobbies and thought I'd share.

I'm currently in rehearsal for an amateur production of a comedy show in the local theatre, during which I'm required to take a few bites of a sandwich. It's not a huge amount, but it's definitely not part of a meal and it struck me that it's an obstacle I don't recall seeing mentioned here before and thought it might be worthy of discussion.

Just to clarify, it doesn't worry me with regard to eating habits or calorie content and I'm not looking for workarounds. There's so much running about during the show that I'll probably burn it off before the end of the act anyway.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:31 pm

You're right. I haven't seen that before. FWIW, I generally don't count small nibbles that are purposeful; i.e. tasting a soup to see if it needs more salt. These aren't fails because you aren't setting yourself up to go off habit.

What show are you doing? I do enjoy local theater. I go several times a year even though we live in a rather small town and it's more "Waiting for Guffman" than Broadway.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:49 pm

That's a good general rule, I think; if it's planned and deliberate, there's little danger of mindless consumption.

We're doing The 39 Steps at Progress Theatre in Reading (starting next week, if anyone's in the area and interested).
ThomsonsPier

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:32 pm

The Thespian Exception:

No Snacks, No Sweets, No Seconds
Except on
[stage and] days that start with S

Reinhard

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:33 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:You're right. I haven't seen that before. FWIW, I generally don't count small nibbles that are purposeful; i.e. tasting a soup to see if it needs more salt. These aren't fails because you aren't setting yourself up to go off habit.
I also include store food samples in this, but only if I'm actually thinking of buying whatever it is, and if I haven't tried it before. If those conditions aren't met, then it's a snack, and is not allowed.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:15 pm

I think it would count as a problem if you start writing yourself into scenes where you're forced to eat entire pies in the name of comedy. :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:45 pm

If I'm going to do it, I'll write in eating chocolate mousse cake.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:39 am

ThomsonsPier wrote:That's a good general rule, I think; if it's planned and deliberate, there's little danger of mindless consumption.

We're doing The 39 Steps at Progress Theatre in Reading (starting next week, if anyone's in the area and interested).
Oh, that looks like fun!

Break a leg!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:39 am

DaveMc wrote:I think it would count as a problem if you start writing yourself into scenes where you're forced to eat entire pies in the name of comedy. :)
:lol:

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:33 am

Blithe Morning wrote:Break a leg!
Thank you kindly.

Perhaps I should suggest that the next play be Moira Buffini's Dinner.
ThomsonsPier