Tweaking Nos

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

rosie b

Tweaking Nos

Post by rosie b » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:32 am

I've been doing Nos for 2 and a half months and have been really successful regarding following the rules. Have had no failure days and only one extra S day all up. However my weekend S days are a little out of control and I tend to eat anything and everything just because I can. By Sunday night I am overcome with guilt and feel terrible. I have not lost any weight (dont have a lot to lose, about 5kg) but I am feeling healthier particularly Monday to Friday. Is it too soon to start tweaking the diet so I can lose some weight and how do I go about it? I would really appreciate some input from you long timers.

rosie b

Post by rosie b » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:36 am

Oops! Just realised that I have been doing this diet for one and a half months not two and a half. The sugar hit I've just had must have gone to my brain :oops: :oops:

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:35 pm

My opinion? Stay with "vanilla No S" - no tweaks, no mods - for a while longer. I've been doing vanilla No S since early May and am just now beginning to feel like my weekends are quieting down.

Just to put the above into context I've been doing No S on and off for a while, since shortly before my join date. I can't really explain my drifting away whether it was because I was tired of the few and reasonable restrictions or what. I think part of it was I got burned out even on No S I was so focused and intentional about it.

All this to say that it takes some people a while to find their stride.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:32 pm

I did start tweaking after about six months. I lost about eight pounds, and I'm sure that the slow loss was part of crazy S days.

Even so, I am SOOOO glad I did not tweak at all for that first six months. I did some low(er) carb for awhile, but realized that formalizing that in addition to NoS wasn't really flexible enough to work long term.

These days, I have one mod: No Solitary Snacking when snacking is permitted on S days. But before I did that, I had my N days down perfectly, and even my S-days had quieted a bit.

I'm still a powerful proponent for really strictly Vanilla No S for the first several months, especially if you've had a long-term weight problem or been a yo-yo dieter. Getting the good habit solid is more important than anything if you're in that situation -- more important than a big weight loss.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:38 pm

My perspective is slightly different... I could see pretty quickly that vanilla wouldn't work for me. One thing that is helpful is to TRY to make one mod and let that be for the month and then reevaluate. Maybe change the WHAT is on your plate, (a certain proportion of frt/veg on your 1 plate meals) OR put some limit on S days, like after a big sanck or seconds or dessert to eat a lighter meal next. But really, try not to change more than one thing and try to give it a month before changing gears again. That's my .02.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:12 pm

I would also wait longer to tweak or make modifications. It does take a while for S days to calm down for most of us.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:45 pm

being that you don't have a lot to lose you may find you have to tweek it to work for you. I know I am going against the grain here with what everyone else is saying, but this is why. I've done no s after my 2 last pregnancies with about 12-15 lbs to lose. I like to be around 128-132. In order to do this I cut back to one s day and keep usually most meals on smaller plates and ususally cereal for breakfast. If I wanted to be 135-140 sure, just regular no s would work. It sort of depends on where you want to be weight wise, because at the end of the day it is calories in vs calories out.