Glass Cieling

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jayhawk28

Glass Cieling

Post by Jayhawk28 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:17 pm

I have never had an issue with alcohol. I'll go weeks without drinking sometimes. When I do drink, however, it is usually in a social setting and exceeds two drinks. Often times, it reaches the level of 4 drinks or more. This would qualify as a "binge." Regardless of how often I do this, I know it is an issue. I feel terrible the next day and it lowers my inhibitions. I cannot reasonably committ to the habits of No S and expect long term success without the limits of glass cieling.

I'm now officially committing to this habit. Will be working hard to keep a firm fence around this habit like I have with No S for the past 3 weeks.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:12 pm

Good luck!

One additional refinement I've found helpful with glass ceiling is to resolve to record (and post to my check in thread on this bulletin board) the number of drinks I go over the limit if/when I do. This is sort of like an extra layer of protection, and "air bag" that kicks in if you crash through the ceiling and limits the damage (each extra drink to fess up is extra embarrassment and extra motivation to stop). It prevents you from thinking, "hell, I blew it. Red is red -- might as well polish off another six pack and a fifth of jack."

Glass ceiling + "air bag" has worked pretty well for me. Although I've had far more "red" glass ceiling days than red no-s or shovelglove days, only once in 10 years now have I gotten problematically drunk, which is of course one too many, but given the status quo before that time, a pretty remarkable improvement.

Reinhard

Jayhawk28

Post by Jayhawk28 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestion on "air bag." I'll resolve now to admit the level of my failure on Glass Cieling should it come to that. This past weekend was a slipperly slope. Changing life circumstances this past week encouraged me to excessively celebrate. I'm 36, though. It just didn't feel right. That was ok when i was 24, but not so much now.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:46 am

You can do it! Moderation with alcohol has a lot of benefits. I used to have a Marion Ravenwood level of tolerance, and now one drink gets me as buzzed as I care to get.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Funny you should mention Marion Ravenwood... back in my pre-glass ceiling days a hard-drinking friend of mine and I attempted to reenact that scene. Let's just say that neither of us was in much condition to fight Nazis afterwards. :-)

Reinahrd

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:25 pm

Reinhard, I don't know if anyone has ever told you this, and I hope it won't come a a shock, but you're a geek.

Yes, I know, pot... kettle...
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:17 pm

I prefer "nerd," but whatever. :-)

Jayhawk28

Epic Failure

Post by Jayhawk28 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:49 am

My birthday was this past weekend. That coupled with my girlfriend and I breaking up ended up with me smashing through my two drink glass cieling. Here's the thing: It's not about guilt as much as how bad I feel and look physically. At 36 years old, I can see it in my face the next day. Realizing that behavior will hold me back from long term success on No S and other goals I have in my life.

Re-committing to drawing a fence around this habit.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Happy Birthday! And sorry about your breakup. Even if it was for the best, those things are rarely easy.