Christmas challenge and beyond.....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Pangelsue2

Christmas challenge and beyond.....

Post by Pangelsue2 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:56 pm

Come on, guys, we know we shouldn't be doing Christmas baking. We know who we are really doing it for. I had a whole list of things I was going to make "for our friends and family" and after what Sweetness wrote to Tobiasmom recently, I am going to toss the list out. My family and friends are trying as hard as I am to keep their weight down. They will hate me for giving them that stuff. The real reason I was going to do the Christmas baking was to give myself an excuse to eat it and then hate myself for it. With all the talk about childhood obesity, we shouldn't be stuffing our kids and grandkids with the cookies etc. either. ( If we MUST treat them, buy one gorgeous cookie from a bakery for a treat for them. Notice I said buy one.) Take them for a Christmas walk to see the lights. Spend the same money you would have spent on cookie stuff and buy a ticket to a Christmas movie or Nativity play at your church. These are Christmas traditions that keep parents and kids healthy. Draw Christmas pictures with them. Wrap presents together. Who cares if they can't wrap well yet? Have them help you make a beautiful red and green salad for Christmas. Red and green sliced apples. Christmas tree shaped pancakes (not as hard as it sounds. Laugh if they come out crooked.). You get the idea.

We have to start putting our efforts where our mouths are. We are going to do this or we aren't. We should start doing this right now (not tomorrow or after the holidays) or admit we really don't want to and get fatter. We all overuse the "one step at a time", "I failed today but tomorrow will be better" and my personal favorite "I am going to start over and this time it will be for real" ploys way too often on these boards. Failure should be a sometime thing or we are not trying very hard.

A successful day is a challenge and not easy to do. Let's acknowledge that, pull up our bootstraps and do whatever we have to day after day to make it start to happen. That means finding alternatives to eating and obsessing about eating or not eating. We all confuse discussing the problem with actually doing something about it.

If we are really serious about losing weight, how about if we start with a no baking challenge for Christmas? Let's agree that none of us will bake this year. We will find other wonderful Christmas-y things to do. How about really getting in the Christmas spirit and taking the cookie baking money and giving it to the Salvation Army or toys for tots or an abuse shelter for presents for the kids or a food pantry or adopt a family for Christmas. Take the kids along and show them the real spirit of Christmas. All of these people need food way more than we do.

In fact, if we are going to support each other for real on this forum, how about, starting now (not tomorrow), we begin being more honest with each other. If someone falls off the wagon, let's begin by agreeing with them that this is not a good thing especially when it happens over and over again. I've noticed that when someone is hurting, we all leap in and alternately commiserate and encourage. If they have a good week, we say "Good job. Keep up the good work." We ought to be begging for their secrets and asking for their help.

I also think it is counterproductive to list what we eat here and list what we ate to slip up. It is only more obsessing about food and eating. That is what we spend most of our days thinking about. Be honest.

A lot of what is holding us back is lack of imagination. Most of us have planned our lives around very little exercise, lots of food based celebrating and eating foods that we love way too often. If we are serious about this, we need to change that way of life to more exercise, fun based celebrating and using favorite foods as a RARE, SOMETIMES ON WEEKENDS treat. We need to start each day obsessing about what we can do instead of eating. We could plan 3 simple meals (the simpler the better) and then make a long list of things to do that are active, fun, family oriented, productive and useful. Then every time we feel like eating, we commit to doing something on the list instead.

The excuses and obsessing have got to stop, guys. We all know it. We are using our fight with food addiction to continue it. "I want this so bad. I try so hard. I don't know what is the matter with me. I am hopeless." is getting old. Let's work on changing it.

I don't know how to set up a challenge but if someone does, please let me know what has to be done or do it for me and tell me how to access it.

The challenge is for the Christmas holidays and possibly beyond if it works.

No Christmas baking. Time to start new traditions.

Simple elegant Christmas dinners with healthy food. Weight Watchers, Diet sites and the Food channel have lots of healthy menus and plans. (Try the most recent episode of 10 dollar dinners. She fed 8 people a great healthy meal for $20.00 including a healthy fruit dessert with a little chocolate sauce.. What's not to love?)

Lots of non eating activities planned with family, friends and especially kids. (They need the right traditions). Look on line for non eating ideas like sing a longs, games, caroling etc. Ask the kids for ideas. They might surprise you.

When visiting friends and family, N days are N days regardless of the season. S days are N days with ONE treat. (We all know this is the only way to survive the holidays and weekends).

Have the goal be to survive the holidays with weight loss or at least no gain.

Finally, if this works, a New Year's resolution to continue a no-nonsense attitude to weight loss in 2012.

It is time to be really committed to this or admit food is our life and stop feeling bad about being fat.

Who is with me?
I'm baaaack.

dirkandwhit

i agree

Post by dirkandwhit » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:02 pm

It is tough medicine to swallow but you are right. I have had to get into the habit of buying one single treat from the store if I choose - not a box or package. The only person I sabotage is myself when i choose to make excuses. When I keep slipping up, I have to remind myself that that in itself is speaking volumes...it is saying that I don't really want to meet my goal. I need to be honest with myself. Even people with addictions meet rock bottom and have to choose to wallow in it and make excuses for themselves, or change. The bottom line is, if I am not really trying everything in my power to be successful, I am not really wanting it. And I am wasting my life on excuses...one day at a time.
A desire fulfilled is sweet to the soul Prov. 13:19a

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:04 pm

I have been toying with this idea myself and I have had a few years where I did not bake cookies and we did crafts instead. I make a desert almost every weekend to enjoy. Decided I won't do any extra baking. For this weekend I will make one batch of cookies so I have a single desert like I normally do instead of twenty different kinds of cookies all at once heaped on platters calling to me to eat them. this way we will only have our faveorite things that are worth indulging in moderation.
Whatever is not finished Sunday night will either be frozen or thrown out.
I might have a problem with that though as my DH gorges on cookies and junk every night. He of course is not over weight.
Last edited by snapdragon on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:05 pm

I couldn't disagree more. I can't imagine and don't want the holidays without the treats associated with them. But I can be careful about when I eat them and how much of them I eat.

I won't be joining this challenge.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:34 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys. Wosnes, I have always admired your control and ability to eat healthy and avoid the unhealthy. You have been here a long time and done well. I too eat healthy about 50% of the time but if the nasty stuff is there, I eat it. I wish I were a more controlled person but 66 years of living have taught me I am not. Many times I thought I had my eating under control and I didn't. Intellectually I get it. Not so much in practice. So for me, it is better to live it out of sight, out of mind.
I'm baaaack.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:56 pm

I am trying to incorporate all the goodies into no s. So that would mean making only the things I really like and leaving them for the weekend.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

carolz

Post by carolz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Pangelsue, I'm with you (it rhymes!). I just can't be trusted around stuff like cookies. Last year I baked some for a Cookie Swap and I totally regretted it, both baking and attending. I'm a total cookie monster so being around a huge variety of awesome cookies really did me in. I felt ill afterwards and had a sugar headache, which unfortunately is something I am quite familiar with.

I know there are people who can have one or two cookies and then stop but unfortunately I'm not one of them (I often wonder "who ARE these people?"). There was a message thread on a NY Times blog about people who can/can't stop at three Oreos - it got pretty funny. Time and time again I've tried to convince myself that this time will be different, that I can buy a normal size package of cookies and make it last. HA HA. Has never happened. So now I just buy a single serving or better yet, go to a bakery and just get one really tasty cookie.

I restarted No S on December 1 and while a lot of people think December is the worst time to start any diet, I'm glad I did, because I feel much more in control than I did in November. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are S days and I plan to have some of my sister's great cookies but not enough to get the dreaded sugar headache.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:53 pm

I think you possibly should have said you aimed only at the people who have been failing consistently at green N days. Christmas is exactly what No S was made for. If you have been consistently implementing vanilla No S for months, I'd say you are entitled to baking and licking the spoon, as long as its on an S day or one of your two declared S days per month.

Now, for those who have been sliding, yes, you might as well pull up your boot straps now rather than wait until after the season. You will get more bang for your discipline/habit buck by doing it NOW.

I know you've been struggling, Pangelsue, so if you want us to tell you to knock it off, here it is: knock it off! You can go this year without baking. You can plan to buy something special for specific occasions, but only enough for each occasion separately. And do try to make the focus more on the delights of the season that have nothing to do with food: lights, decorations, skating, reading stories aloud, etc. It's true that we may not need to be stuffing children with treats, but if we weren't doing it all year long, it really would be a treat to do it now.

I am joining the no-baking challenge, though it won't be too hard because I rarely bake. The dough hardly ever makes it to the oven! I decided years ago that if I were going to get good at something it would be cooking whole grains and vegetables. However, I convinced myself one year that I would become the spritz cookie queen and bought the special tube with attachments. I ate my way through several recipes and never got one cookie that matched the sinful crumbliness that even the cheapest cookies from K-Mart had. So the spritz cookie maker goes. I'll buy good ones from the Italian bakery and take them to a gathering on an S day.

I'm also committed to Vanilla No S through the month. I haven't determined when I will be with family or friends so I am reserving the right to choose two NWS days as well, though having the holidays fall right on weekends this year may negate that. However, I'm more determined for my S days to be tame because of being reminded that in early November, Reinhard shared the testimonial of a 5'5" woman who lost more weight in 6 months than this 5'6" woman has lost in nearly 2 years. She weighs less than I do! I know it's from my wild S days and little exercise. My sleep patterns continue to hinder the exercise, but I need to tough it out on the eating.

So, to review: no baking and Vanilla No S.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:54 am

Here's what I wrote.
I vote for no baking. I gave it up years ago when my poor little boys were small. They're 23 and 25 now, and they still love their Mom, even though I didn't bake for them. If I had I would be well over 300 pounds now I'm sure. I could never bake cookies without eating at least 6 of them hot out of the oven. I always ate more of them than my kids did.

Instead I started my own tradition. I buy the tins of danish butter cookies, and tubes of frosting and decorate cookies. I can resist cold cookies with frosting! And my boys love them!!
So I can join your challenge of no baking, except tomorrow we're going to help my hubby's mom who just lost her husband last night. She makes some special Italian cookies for the family every year. They are wonderful. Last year Dad helped her, so she just can't do it by herself. Tomorrow is a no S day, I'll have to save some cookies for an S day! Hope I can do it. :?

For those who do have the self control to bake and not eat a lot of it, I say go ahead, but to do it on an N day is kind of like torture for most of us. I was able to just have one treat on Sunday after church, when they had a bunch of treats on the table. But baking the treats? that would be so hard for me. So it will be a struggle tomorrow.

I plan to do vanilla no S for this month. If I really have an extra special day, I will declare an extra S day. I may also declare an S event or two, which means I won't take the whole day for essing, but just during the event, and the rest of the day is normal.
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:37 am

I am glad I am not the only one who can't have the yummy stuff in the house. I am so jealous of those of you who can.
Thanks too to Oolala for the honesty telling me to knock it off. At first I was taken back and then I laughed and knew that is exactly what I needed to hear.
My daughter stopped by for a visit tonight and we hadn't seen her for a while so I asked her to stay for supper. I made coconut pudding for dessert because that is one of her favorites. She told me it was good but that she shouldn't have had it. She has been doing so good on her diet lately. I felt bad because I knew I had made it as much for me as for her. :oops: I don't just want to do better, I will do better. Break old habits, start new ones. Thanks Oolala.
I'm baaaack.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:11 am

I admire you for starting this challenge. This takes commitment.

I probably will make Christmas cookies, because I really like making them for our neighbors. Baking at this time of year brings me a lot of joy, and remarkably, I really enjoy sharing more than eating.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:37 pm

I'm half on board. :)

Yes, I commit to Vanilla No-S, and intend to "reboot" a few habits that have gotten sloppy. And I really agree that doing this DURING the holidays rather than after the holidays is the way to go. I have learned that I enjoy my food more on No-S, and I don't want to let that slip.

But I absolutely intend to bake. It's a major pleasure for me, and I don't feel I take it to excessive lengths. Each person in the family gets to choose one type of cookie, and I make one batch of each. Many of those go to neighbors, teachers, etc. I bake on a weekend, and have an array of small helpers, one related to me and a couple who are not but are thrilled to be included. It's a festive occasion, and very much a part of my Christmas. (Most of my cookie recipes are ONLY made at this time of year - giving them up entirely would make everyone in the house feel deprived!)

At the same time, I hear the "get serious" tone, and agree. For me, it seems like every time I have a major life change, I have to re-calibrate No-S. And that's where I am now - some excess has crept in, and I need to adjust. Fortunately, the basic structure of No-S helps SO much, both to limit the initial damage and to figure out recovery strategies. But... ya still gotta do it. And yes, "simple" and "easy" are not the same thing..

Andie

Post by Andie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:02 pm

I appreciate your opinion, but I as well have to disagree with some of what you said. To me, the point of no S is to moderate eating in a healthy/minimally restrictive way to control weight. In my opinion no one is obese because of christmas dinner and a few christmas cookies. If we are in the habit of snacking all day long and eating sweets everyday, and we keep a lot of christmas baking in the house, we will obviously gain a lot of weight over the holidays if we eat it every day. It comes down to knowing yourself. I agree that some people go way overboard with the christmas baking thing.
I myself am not going to make six different varieties of christmas cookies and keep them in my pantry for a month and a half, my will power is not that strong, and it's not good for my family. I WILL make ONE batch of our favorites and enjoy them moderately on S days. If others offer them to me and it's an S day, I may eat one or two.

I am sure as H E double hockey sticks NOT going to make a "Diet" recipe for Christmas dinner. To suggest this is pratically No S blasphemy!

Vanilla no S should be enough to contrtol our weight over this holiday season, especially since both Christmas and New Years fall on the weekend, so there aren't even any non weekend S days this month.

I love your ideas about starting new non-food related traditions though! Ice skating, long walks to look at christmas lights, snow ball fights and sledding, these are much more important than christmas cookies or any food!
Back after a long hiatus.

seymour

Christmas Challenge

Post by seymour » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:05 pm

I am going to sign up for this challenge. I can not bake Christmas cookies without eating at least 12 and then I'll come back for more. Beautifully written!

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:21 am

Well, today I decided to declare an S event, helping my mother-in-law make the italian cookies (pizzelles or shalda in Italian). My father-in-law just died on Monday night, and we had planned to help Mom with the cookies on Tuesday, we did it today instead. I had to eat at least one cookie to let her know how good they are. I had one and a half, plus I licked the beater. But the rest of the day was No S. I think this is a better way of dealing with holiday events, rather than declaring the whole day an "S" day which leads to excess snacking, sweets and seconds. We are going to help her two more times, she only has stamina for a couple hours, and this is her Christmas present to all her kids.

Actually I feel like I was quite in control, the cookies are very delicious, and I would have liked to eat several!!! :roll:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:24 pm

So sorry about the death of your father-in-law, Sweetness. It is so nice of all of you to help mom out with the cookies. At a time like that, family is everything. I think it would be rude not to at least enjoy a cookie or two. It is a ritual of sorts and those are so important when there has been a loss in the family. Hugs to you and your family.
I'm baaaack.

carolz

S Events

Post by carolz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:53 pm

I agree re S events - this month I have two weekday holiday parties and instead of vowing not to eat any sweets at these things (a vow I'd probably break) I'm just going to declare them s-events. If I made those days S Days, I'd be too afraid of pigging out all day long. Confining any excess to just a couple of hours makes much more sense. It's so simple, but I didn't think of it until people on this thread mentioned it.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:19 pm

And the Xena spirit descends on Sue! You go, girl! Sometimes having an "enough is enough" moment is exactly the ticket.

Enough with the bargaining. Enough with the manipulation. Enough with the excuses. Enough with the lame commitments. ENOUGH.

It's time for something new.

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:13 pm

I keep Christmas cookies, bars, cakes, in serving size baggies and in the trunk of my car if they start to get too tempting during Holidays. When I get home at night I pick out whatever goodie I want after dinner and take it in with me. I am not about to go back out to the car in this frigid northern hemisphere weather to get anything else LOL, so I"m safe.

At work I just don't seem to have any problem with truck loads of treats being in the kitchen at Holidays so that's safe for me too.

This is just how I handle the Holiday goodies. Most years at some point in January I have treats I didn't eat and throw them out.

Can't imagine Christmas and Hanukkah without treats.

8)
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:27 am

Pangelsue2 wrote:So sorry about the death of your father-in-law, Sweetness. It is so nice of all of you to help mom out with the cookies. At a time like that, family is everything. I think it would be rude not to at least enjoy a cookie or two. It is a ritual of sorts and those are so important when there has been a loss in the family. Hugs to you and your family.
Thank you, hugs back to you!
Patty

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:28 am

I didn't do the baking, but my school's PTA is having their yearly spread of sweets tomorrow. Actually, there are usually sweets or bagels or something every day for a week at this time of year, but this was the only thing we got notice of this year, which is fine with me. I'm trying to decide whether to declare a NWS day because I don't have any other invitations to events not on S days already. It's probably better to make a decision to make it a NWS day and change my mind than the other way around. But bottom line, I didn't eat any dough or batter in preparation for this!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Kathi

Post by Kathi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:23 pm

I will be baking--it's a special activity for the kids and me, plus I need to do a lot for school (DS2 has food allergies, so I'm the designated cookie baker). I think this may work best for people who do not have children at home. My kids are skinny as rails and, thankfully, very skilledl at regulating their own appetites, unlike Mom. I hope to raise them in a less-food-disordered home than I experienced as a child.

However, I like your suggestions of other traditions; with DS2's allergies, we also skip a lot of the cookie swaps and such and seek out non-food events.

I also love the idea of S events, especially this time of year. Sometimes knowing that I have a party at night will cause overeating all day long...the "what the hell" effect, I guess.
Start Date: 11/26/11
CW: 137
GW: 127
Vanilla No S; walking 30 min & bodyweight exercises 5x/wk

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Kathi wrote:I will be baking--it's a special activity for the kids and me, plus I need to do a lot for school (DS2 has food allergies, so I'm the designated cookie baker). I think this may work best for people who do not have children at home. My kids are skinny as rails and, thankfully, very skilledl at regulating their own appetites, unlike Mom. I hope to raise them in a less-food-disordered home than I experienced as a child.
I agree I have a nine year old at home and he has to have gluten free cookies and cupcakes etc.... for school, Christmas and Hanukkah events.
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:22 am

This is very easy for me as I don't bake. Something goes wring every time. However, in the spirit of things, I will commit to not buying Chritsmasy stuff at the bakery until 23 December which we call Little Chrismas Eve. Is this ok?
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:49 am

I think this is a great idea (with tweaks for different people of course).

It seems so easy just to say 'oh it's Christmas why not?!' and give in to tasty treats.... but when you're saying that weeks before Christmas, something is wrong! Most of my celebrations are food based and frankly I'm ok with that. I am a foodie at heart and I LOVE going out to eat good food. These celebrations happen on probably a monthly basis rather than daily or even weekly, and one rich meal or cake a month isn't the main problem - it's all the other eating! However there is no excuse for constant snacking or indulging in rich, sweet foods for ages before a celebration.

Personally I don't bake, but I am always tempted to get in 'Christmas treats', knowing full well that I'll likely eat them within a few days!! In fact that's exactly what happened a week or two ago - I bought some fudge and fruit jellies thinking they'd be nice for festive treats, and ate them the same night :oops:

So I am committing to no buying in Christmas treats before 23rd December (which will be a NWS day for me due to birthday celebrations).

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:35 pm

got my first treats as gifts at work. I almost gave one of them away. I'm debating on the other little bag. They are my favorites! I think I'll put them in the freezer in the workroom until Friday.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:50 pm

Pangelsue, I agree! I had to make something for a Christmas party at my job, so I baked pumpkin bread. But now, I'm done. No more. I work at a library and well-meaning people are constantly bring us goodies. It's very sweet of them, but those goodies are calling my name all day. It's just too tempting to wander in there whenever I get bored. We're all (at my job) watching our weight and this doesn't make it easier.

I know that I'll get plenty of goodies around the holidays without me baking any more. So, count me in!

Kathy