Public challenge

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mrsj

Public challenge

Post by mrsj » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:56 am

A little background... I've tried for 3 years to reduce my weight. I've gained 4 kilos. After doing a lot of research on the net about nutrition and weight reduction, I stumbled across a site that stated "What if..." What will the consequences be if I don't reach my goal within a year? What will be the consequence if I do?

SO, I HEREBY STATE PUBLICLY TO ANYONE WHO CARES TO READ, LAUGH, ROLL THEIR EYES, FALL OUT OF THEIR CHAIR LAUGHING THE FOLLOWING:

I WILL REDUCE MY WEIGHT BY 36 KILOS BY 13 DECEMBER 2012.

If I do, I will buy myself a state of the art filter for my Girlie garden pond and a set of garden furniture for my Girlie patio.

If I fail, I will fill in my Girlie garden pond and plant an apple tree there. The goldfish and plants will be moved to Hubby's huge garden pond.
(yes, we have his and her ponds). My Girlie patio will be eliminated and Hubby will be allowed to put a garden shed there.

Anyone and everyone is invited to comment or join me.

It's time that I get my head and a** wired together.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:30 pm

I don't like the dynamic where your husband benefits and you are punished if you fail to lose a certain amount if weight. This makes me deeply uncomfortable.

However, I don't know you or your family.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Good luck. Sometimes it takes the risk of losing something very dear to us to get us motivated.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Good luck, mrsj. You can do it.

Personally, I find that the carrot works better than the stick. Could you bribe yourself with the rewards, without threatening yourself with the loss of things you value?
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:43 pm

Who, Me? I'm not going to kill off my fish or just throw out over 1,000 DKR worth of plants. As for the Girlie patio, I wouldn't want to sit there if the pond is gone.

Too solid flesh, I've tried the reward system for years. Promising myself a big reward if I do something by an alloted date. Doesn't work for me. I love my Girlie (ladies only) pond and patio. Hubby laughs at it because my pond is only 3500 liters where his is 20,000 liters with huge Koi fish.

Not only will I have to face my loss, but Hubby's disappointment. He dug out my pond and bought all the supplies as a birthday gift last year.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:58 pm

I don't like the dynamic where your husband benefits and you are punished if you fail to lose a certain amount
As a general rule, you have a very good point. But I think mrsj's obvious sense of humor about the whole business obviates it. "Comic pragmatism," after all, is one of the founding principles of everyday systems.

Good luck, mrsj! And beware lest we send impartial observers to your girlie pond in denmark to ensure that you comply with the terms of the agreement.

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:09 pm

I guess you must really trust your husband not to want to sabotage your efforts.

Actually, I remember reading a book years ago that said that the author had seen a fair amount of success with the "stick" method. He recommended actually writing up a contract and even enlisting an attorney, if need be. One guy didn't lose weight until he signed a contract stating that if he did not lose a certain amount of weight and keep it off (to be determined in 6 month-increments), he would have to make a sizeable donation to the John Birch Society, no disrespect intended. I guess you could have a similar effect from getting some people to be beholding to Hillary Clinton. Okay, I'm just throwing around names. You get the idea.

I'm a little worried about the amount of weight you're committing to. I don't know what you weigh, but what if you take off 30 kilos? That would seem reason to celebrate and not be "punished." Wouldn't it?

I sure hope this works for you not only for the weight loss but for the incredible feeling that comes from being even mostly -not 100%- compliant. For all the time you've put in, you deserve that! I wish there was a concrete way to get across how good you will feel a lot of the time. But that is harder to imagine than a covered-over pond.

Okay, I thought of a goal I'd be willing to commit to. I've had a lot of clothes up in the closet that I've said many times I would give away if I didn't fit into them by a certain date, yet several deadlines have come and gone and I don't fit them and they are still there. However, for this crowd, I'd keep my word. If I don't make it to a BMI of 24.9 by the vernal equinox of 2012, I'll give away all the too-small clothes in the top of my closet. In fact, I think I'll ask a friend if she'll let me store them at her house until then. I guess that's a possible reward system!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

loop

Post by loop » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:37 am

I'm a little worried about the amount of weight you're committing to. I don't know what you weigh, but what if you take off 30 kilos? That would seem reason to celebrate and not be "punished." Wouldn't it?
I hadn't bothered to convert the weight (36kg) into pounds until oolala53 just said that, and I see it's almost 80lbs, which is just over 1.5 pounds a week. That's quite a fast rate of loss. You're sounding all fired up, so I don't want to rain on your parade, but you could be very NoS compliant and not come anywhere near that fast a rate of weight loss.

For the record, I've maintained fairly well (at a weight that is higher than I'd like) while NoSing, but have not lost at all (and have gained while not following NoS). I'm currently doing WeightWatchers in an attempt to lose some weight, and I'm losing about 0.5-1 lbs a week. That's with measuring and tracking everything I eat. With a less rigorous program, I personally would lose much less (or not at all).

Anyway, that said, I know sometimes it just takes something clicking in your head to suddenly get motivated to *do something* and make changes. I wish you the best of luck!

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:07 am

Loop, 36 kilos over 12 months is 3 kilos a month. About 700-800 grams a week which is realistic, at least here in Denmark. I currently weigh 96 kilos and am 167 cm tall. I am obese. I am too obese to start serious excersizing now. I have to shrink 5 more kilos before I can start walking 1 hour a day. Doctor's orders. My goal weight is 60 kilos, which is realistic. Not model skinny.

oolala, I haven't told Hubby anything. This is my private war. However, I'm going to have to learn how to eat in real life. This is why I like NoS.

Reinhard, you are welcome to send whomever you chose to check up on my Girlie patio and pond. As long as they like tea.

Erada

Post by Erada » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:54 am

Put your mind to it and just do it! You're going to do great!

laura corin

It might be possible

Post by laura corin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:09 pm

mrsj wrote:36 kilos over 12 months is 3 kilos a month. .
Just for comparison, however, in my first six weeks of NoS (completely compliant, moderate exercise - walking dog, digging garden) I've lost two kilos. Over 12 months that is about 17 kilos.

NoS, for me, is about a long-term change in eating habits. That's more valuable than crashing through the kilos then putting them back on.

Best wishes

Laura
1st November, 2011: 66 kilos (145 pounds)
9th December, 2011: 64 kilos (141 pounds)
3rd February, 2012: 63.5 kilos (140 pounds)
Goal: 57 kilos (125 pounds) BMI 21.5

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:07 am

mrsj, sorry if I seemed like I might be sabotaging your goal. If aiming at 36 kilos galvanizes your resolve, go for it, and we will gladly eat our words next December. They're not so delicious, but filling and calorie-free.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:58 pm

mrsj wrote: I am too obese to start serious excersizing now. I have to shrink 5 more kilos before I can start walking 1 hour a day. Doctor's orders.
Can you start walking 15 or 20 minutes a day before losing the 5 kilos? Or are you doing that now? Every little bit helps.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:57 pm

mrsj wrote:I currently weigh 96 kilos and am 167 cm tall. I am obese. I am too obese to start serious excersizing now. I have to shrink 5 more kilos before I can start walking 1 hour a day. Doctor's orders.
mrsj, do you have a health issue which when combined with the weight makes exercise dangerous for you OR could this be your doctor's personal bias? It's very different from advice given here.

Walking is the one exercise that everyone here is encouraged to do no matter what their weight. Even those with some serious health issues will be encouraged to walk as much as they can tolerate.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Wosnes, I am too heavy for my joints and tendons. My doctor is tired of treating me for shinsplints and my knees aren't what they use to be. I also have lower back problems. What my doctor is concerned about is the risk of heart attack and stroke. Now, my doctor isn't saying to sit in the sofa all day. She wants me to walk 15 minutes at a time starting with twice daily. For upper body work out, she recommends washing 1 door+frame daily. She knows I hate gymns. More or less, start slow. Wait until I've shrunk at least 5 kilos before I think about aerobic excersize. My doctor has also recommended that I put the things I use often further away from myself. That way I have to get up and get these things. After use, put away. I've gotten a lot of good tips on how to burn some exstra calories every day.

laura corin, yes I can do it. It is unneccesary for me to put 3 tbs melted butter on my veggies every day! It isn't necessary for me to eat a whole pizza in one sitting. And on and on and on... I don't ever want to eat like this again. I believe that 1 year is plenty of time for me to learn a new and healthier life style. It's either that or die. Literally. Now, I'm just too ornery to croak at a young age.

Thanks all for your encouragement. I know that it seems like a lot of weight, but if I look at it in smaller increments, it's not so bad. Such as 9 kilos a quarter.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:35 pm

If your joints are unhappy, perhaps you could swim, or do water-based exercises.

My partner is paralyzed from a spinal cord injury, but he swims for an hour at least twice a week.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:24 am

Who, Me? If you think I'm going to show this body in public in a bathing suit, you're crazy! No way! Also, the public sports center with a swimming pool costs a fortune in entrance fees. It's also far away and I have no0 car. Maybe when I reach my goal I'll use it for maintenance. I do move. Just in small increments throughout the day. Just got back from a 20 minute walk with doggie. I let him set the pace.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:56 pm

mrsj wrote:Who, Me? If you think I'm going to show this body in public in a bathing suit, you're crazy! No way!
mrsj, you clearly have other good reasons for not going swimming. For years I was too self conscious to swim, although I love swimming, but I have found that no matter what my size there are always other swimmers who are fatter/older/less conventional looking/more unfit than I am, so perhaps if the other obstacles disappear in the future you might reconsider this one.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:34 pm

mrsj wrote:Wosnes, I am too heavy for my joints and tendons. My doctor is tired of treating me for shinsplints and my knees aren't what they use to be. I also have lower back problems. What my doctor is concerned about is the risk of heart attack and stroke. Now, my doctor isn't saying to sit in the sofa all day. She wants me to walk 15 minutes at a time starting with twice daily. For upper body work out, she recommends washing 1 door+frame daily. She knows I hate gymns. More or less, start slow. Wait until I've shrunk at least 5 kilos before I think about aerobic excersize. My doctor has also recommended that I put the things I use often further away from myself. That way I have to get up and get these things. After use, put away. I've gotten a lot of good tips on how to burn some exstra calories every day.
I don't do "aerobic" exericse at all. That is, I don't exercise to get my heart rate up. I can't. I do walk my dog for 20-45 minutes 2 or 3 times daily (weather permitting) and I that adds up to well over an hour of exercise.

To be honest, I've never, ever done "aerobic" exercise.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

laura corin

I didn't mean to discourage you

Post by laura corin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:52 pm

mrsj wrote:
laura corin, yes I can do it. It is unneccesary for me to put 3 tbs melted butter on my veggies every day! It isn't necessary for me to eat a whole pizza in one sitting. And on and on and on... I don't ever want to eat like this again. I believe that 1 year is plenty of time for me to learn a new and healthier life style.
It sounds as if you are really resolved to change your life; that's great. My only concern was that you might make targets that were too difficult for your body to achieve and might get discouraged.

Best wishes with your endeavours

Laura
1st November, 2011: 66 kilos (145 pounds)
9th December, 2011: 64 kilos (141 pounds)
3rd February, 2012: 63.5 kilos (140 pounds)
Goal: 57 kilos (125 pounds) BMI 21.5

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:51 am

The holidays are over, thank goodness! I haven't dared to step on the scales as I did enjoy all that Xmas food. But, I'm back on track and more determined than ever!

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:52 pm

mrsj wrote:I am obese. I am too obese to start serious excersizing now. I have to shrink 5 more kilos before I can start walking 1 hour a day. Doctor's orders. My goal weight is 60 kilos, which is realistic. Not model skinny.
I really hope this doesn't mean you'll be doing no exercise. Walking for 15 minutes when you are carrying an extra 36 Kg is serious exercise and is a great place to start. What else do you like doing that gets you breathing and your heart beating?

One thing people ignore is that when you lose weight you breathe it out (fat is almost all carbon and is lost in the carbon dioxide you exhale), so you gotta do something that makes you breath hard.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:21 pm

Swimming would be a great way to start getting some exercise that would not stress your joints.
Last edited by r.jean on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:48 am

I do take short walks. I'm moving in 15 minute spurts. I'm NOT just sitting in my sofa waiting for some miracle to happen. I'm not at rock bottom fitness wise-I'm in the basement below it! But, I have to start somewhere and I console myself that I can only get better. I also do the belly breathing excersizes. It gives energy when I'm feeling "flat". I read somewhere that 70% of the body's waste products is excreted by exhaling. Only 30% is excreted on the toilet (is that delicate enough?) and the skin.

An update: I've maintained my weight during the holidays. Something happened over Xmas. I'm getting full on less than usual. I'm tired of rich fatty foods and even tired of sweet things. I hope this keeps up.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:06 am

A little update. I've been taking protein supplements in the form of protein shakes. I do this because all sources of protein are very expensive here in Denmark. I just can't afford to get enough protein every day. I'm getting 40 grams of extra protein every day from these shakes.

Results: I'm less hungry. I'm not stuffing my face with any old thing. I'm becoming very picky about what I put in my mouth. Picky as in "what will this do for me". I'm eating a lot more veggies, some fruits and lean meats. I also have much more energy. My thighs don't feel like cement blocks after only 15 mins of walking. My arms dont feel like they weigh a ton after 15 mins of use. My nails are growing like weeds and are much stronger. I'm hoping that my hair will get stronger, but it's too soon to tell.

Apparantly my mega appetite was in search of protein. Now that I'm getting enough, I feel much better and more motivated to finally shrink!

After doing some basic math, I've found that these protein shakes are much cheaper than eggs or lean meats and poultry. Plus, because they need to be shaken in skim milk, I'm getting my daily calcium which is very important for a menopausal woman!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:11 pm

A win all around.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23