Beverages between meals

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

surfersuz

Beverages between meals

Post by surfersuz » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:41 pm

Hey all, I'm new to No S (about 3 weeks now), I absolutely love it but am still very much getting used to developing these habits. It's coming slowly but surely as I definitely notice changes in my behaviors and recognize how many times a day I try to reach for food.
Just wondering what some of your stances are on drinking either coffee (with cream) or diet soda between meals. Do you find that it helps or hinders the habit building process? I've been drinking diet coke or coffee in the afternoons to ward off the hunger (at the very worst for me around 4-5 pm no matter how big of a lunch I've had) but I'm almost thinking that not having to depend on any kind of substance at all between meals would be ideal. Meaning to get used to not having anything but water between meals.
Any thoughts? What do some of you do? I come here because I have received so much great advice and wisdom from these boards and I thank all of you for paving the way!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:02 pm

I do not routinely drink caloric beverages between meals, but I will use them occasionally if I feel excessively hungry. A small glass of milk satisfies me the best, but on occasion I fill my water bottle with watered down orange juice.

I regularly drink unsweetened coffee or tea. I also drink diet soda, about one a day. However, I am working on giving up the diet soda in favor of the watery orange juice (about 3/4 water and 1/4 juice).

You will get many answers, but the basic answer is that beverages are allowed between meals unless they are a sweet.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:44 am

As I have been "rehearsing" my return to No-S, I have been using a little vanilla soymilk in my decaf coffee to tide me over from one meal to the next.

I like the idea of watered down juice, too, and will try that. It would be an easy thing to manage at work.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Beverages between meals are acceptable on No-S, including full-fat milk and regular juices. It's also okay to add sugar to coffee and tea. Just beware of sugary drinks -- sodas, some coffee beverages and so on.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:36 pm

I drink diet coke, water, coffee. I also drink OJ between meals if I have low blood sugar because I am juvenile diabetic. That doesn't happen very often.

I also don't try to ward hunger off. I embrace it. Even if I get all the way to a stomach growl it feels great!!!

8)
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

surfersuz

Post by surfersuz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:06 am

Thanks everyone for replying. I am getting better at embracing hunger and can deal with it a little more easily now. There have been a few mess ups on N days though and it's been because of my habit of snacking or rather of comforting myself emotionally with food. So I was thinking maybe it'd be best to train myself to not rely on ANYTHING between meals. But now that I've written that I realize it's a little harsh. More harsh than I need to be on myself right now. A lot of people comfort themselves with something, right?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Three weeks in is a little soon to be pushing for perfection. Get used to the meal structure for a few months! We're going for moderation here. If find you really aren't hungry and want to let the drinks go before then, fine.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)