Consider Me Officially Challenged

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RacingSlug

Consider Me Officially Challenged

Post by RacingSlug » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:53 pm

I seriously thought this was going to be easy. Like I normally do when I start a new eating plan, I spent the first day obsessing over the details, except with No S there really aren't many details to obsess over, so I really just wasted a lot of time worrying about it. Because I am a calorie-tracking refugee, No S is so contrary to what I'm used to. Weight loss has been like a hobby for me for the past two years - what am I supposed to do with all this free time?

My willpower lasted until... Day 2. I ate comically large plates of food out of paranoia that I would starve, and then when I was laying in bed I was like, ''Shoot, this isn't going to work,'' and proceeded to embark on the lamest binge ever. I had four chocolates and a nutrition shake and a piece of cheese. :roll: I basically ate whatever I could find. I have an eating problem. This program is forcing me to face that in very stark terms.

Weirdly enough, I'm not totally discouraged. I figure with a 50% failure rate I can only improve from here. I seriously underestimated how challenging this would be. My new goal is to get through the month with more Success days than Fail days. If I really am set to do this for life, I guess I have some time to get it right.

In short, this is pretty monumentally different than anything I've done before, and also quite difficult. Any tips for getting through this first month would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,

Christy
''He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.'' - Friedrich Nietzsche-

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:19 pm

It does get easier.

My advice? Find a new hobby, something else you can obsess over. Other than food, what sounds interesting to you?

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:29 pm

I have to say a new hobby, something else to be obssessed with is a darn good idea :idea:

Another idea is to make NO S your new hobby :idea: Start a blog, take pictures of your meals, post what your eating, post comments on how it's going and when it's working and when it's not. Shop for your favorite foods for those 3 meals. Read this forum, post on other people's check-in's, threads and blogs. 8)

Whadda ya think? :idea:
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Stay busy, both physically and mentally. It keeps your mind off of food.

determined

Post by determined » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:33 pm

I agree with all of these suggestions....this journey is definitely worth it.

Also...have you read the book? It's a great resource...

Success to you....janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

RacingSlug

Post by RacingSlug » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:58 pm

I like the idea of keeping busy! I guess I will have to think of some other activity to occupy my mind.

Day 3 was a success! And tomorrow is my first S-day. I know I can do this.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:52 am

No S is simple, but it is not easy. There's a difference.

It was amazing how much free time I had when I quit grazing all evening. I had time to take up a new hobby (knitting). Of course, since eating was also a mechanism for procrastinating on evening chores, I had to face up to doing them earlier in the evening... which also freed up time.

One good piece of news: since this program is habit-based, it gets easier over time. Really. Unlike diets, which often are started in total enthusiasm and then get harder until they are unbearable. This just becomes "how you eat."

And on the way, you will probably learn a lot about yourself. :)

At the risk of blowing my own horn, I suggest reading the sticky on "Phases of No-S" above. The first "stage" has all the advice I would give you.

Best wishes.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:22 pm

A therapist said he was in a liquor store one time when a woman who obviously had a problem with alcohol approached him and said, "Why do you drink?" He told her about the fine elements of wine, the social aspect, etc. Then he said to her, "But you're not asking the right question. The question is what would you do if you didn't drink?

What do you do when you're not thinking, planning, worrying, etc.? For some people, it's not necessarily an easy thing to figure out. That's why I think some need to have more life experience before they can implement moderate eating. But it's going to get fun!
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

RacingSlug

Post by RacingSlug » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:38 pm

determined wrote: Also...have you read the book? It's a great resource...

Success to you....janie
I plowed through the entire book yesterday and this morning and I agree it's wonderful. The rationale behind each rule really makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the support guys!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:59 pm

Welcome!

In time of need, I once read the book repeatedly on a loop.

Going for a walk can help with cravings. There is a lot of excellent advice on the bulletin boards, and Reinhard's podcasts are great:

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.