Plate size?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jmjprayforus

Plate size?

Post by jmjprayforus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:36 am

Okay, day 2 down.....
question- do you a salad size plate or a dinner size plate? I have Corelle dishes....

Hardest is no snacking at night...I just might have been fooling myself that I didn't eat much .....

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:21 am

My normal dinner plates are 9" across (not including the rim - but I don't pile food on the rim :))

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:54 am

I use a dinner plate. My plates are 10 1/2" in diameter, with a 2" raised border. I keep food in the center of the plate.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:55 am

I use a 9" plate for all meals, but I allow a side salad plate as I don't like my hot and cold foods mixing!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:03 pm

I use a dinner plate with a rim for dinner. The food doesn't go on the rim. I use a bowl for breakfast. Most days, I use a storage container for lunch as I brown bag it.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:54 pm

I have never measured my plates and do not intend to. I use different size plates depending on what I am fixing. You can pile a smaller plate high with unhealthy foods or you can fill a large dinner plate with healthy foods. If you eat a salad and fill half of your large plate with that then it is probably healthier than some of the small plates that are stacked high with unhealthy foods.

That said...do not worry so much. Just stick to the basic rules, and the other stuff will happen.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:05 pm

How is it going, jmj?

Your plate size might change over the year. Use a dinner plate to start. Leave yourself room to modify as time goes on. Don't try to get all the details right from the beginning, except the obvious details: the 14 words on the cover of the book.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:47 pm

If you're on day 2, use whatever size plate you've been using for meals. Doesn't matter if that's a saucer or a disk sled.

I was doing a mod where I used nine-inch plates (the Nine Inch Mod), but I gave up that mod when I got pregnant (I'm at 22 weeks now). It was working pretty well, and I plan to go back on it after I give birth and finish breastfeeding. I'm doing vanilla now, and the OB seems to be happy with how I'm doing.

You really shouldn't be adding mods in your first few months of No S, unless No S really is too difficult for you and you need to loosen the rules, not make them stricter. Then if you start adding mods later, you need to add only a few at a time. If you pile on the mods, you stretch your willpower too thin, and you're likely to fail. If you add mods a few at a time, your older mods can become habit, and you don't have to think as hard about following them, so you've got more mental energy to keep up with new ones.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:23 pm

Nicest! I missed the good news of the little bundle that will be arriving! Congrats!!

Wishing you and your family a happy and kosher Pesach!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:10 pm

I missed the good news, too, Nicest. Congratulations!

I don't think plate size matters nearly as much as the size of the portions on the plate. We don't need to fill our plates and we need to remember that it's okay to feel hungry before meals.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 pm

congratulations Nicest. my OB actually suggested eating only three good sizes meals a day to keep from gaining too much. He is an older man, and is pretty well known in the area with a good reputation.

I use big plates, I am not going to worry about it for now, I am just trying to establish a habit. It also fits all the produce I want to eat too. If I had little plates I might not get that serving of fruit I wanted!!!
Last night for dinner I had three tacos, I also had cut up jicama and cucumbers and a slab of mango( I took the mango off the plate while I ate the rest though) it all fit nicely on my plate. I need to get new plates though and the ones I am looking at are smaller, not becuase of no s I just want plain white ones now. But I am not ready to switch yet!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi, Snap! Have you looked at the dishes recommended on the Mindless Eating site? They are a fortune and they do try to claim that the borders make a difference, but you might get some ideas. Here is one example: http://www.thisnext.com/item/634D9387/M ... s-Thinware

In a related article, it said that if the food you're eating matches the color of your plate too closely, it will be more likely for you to eat more.

But for you, jmprayforus, forget all this discussion and just eat from any plates for now.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MamieTamar

Post by MamieTamar » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:41 pm

This thread is old, but am I glad I found it ! I kept wondering how anybody could eat only 3 platefuls a day and not be starving, and I had a hunch that American plates must be bigger than our French ones. You bet they are ! I've just measured my dinner plates, they are 15 cm diameter (not including the rim, on which we do not usually put food), that's 5,90 inches. I am used to multi-courses meals, and could not understand how it was all supposed to get on one single plate, and me not even being a big eater at all. Now I see that I'm doing quite well, even with salad on a different plate and fruit on a different plate. Thank you all for raising the subject!
age 77
SBMI:29
CBMI: 27,7

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:43 pm

I know there are a few people who don't like salad on the dinner plate, and they've made it work to separate it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23