Prevention Magazine misses the obvious...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mrslenna

Prevention Magazine misses the obvious...

Post by mrslenna » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:16 am

I was reading the January issue of Prevention, and there was a huge article called "Snack Food Nation" that lamented the high-calorie snack foods that have taken over our lives. It spoke of all of the evils of snacks, their accessibility, bad nutrition, caloric density, etc, etc.
And then for the grand finale...the solution to the snacking problem...healthier snacks.
They didn't even mention the idea that you could just cut snacks out all together, even though they did mention that snacking was not always the way of the world. They even used the story about mom sending a hungry kid back out to play before dinner with the phrase, "You'll spoil you appetite."
Sheesh.
But it made me feel great to be here, and doing No S, even if it's not always 100%, and not always easy. Don't you all feel like you know this cool secret? I keep trying to tell everyone about it, and I'm always surprised by how skeptical people are. Who wouldn't want to do NoS?!
Life rewards action, not intention.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:14 am

Weird, isn't it. I'm currently reading yet another book on the secrets of healthy aging. The author says that big meals are bad for you, and you should "become a grazer". I know where that gets me. There was no mention of the possibility of just eating smaller meals.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:30 pm

I agree, and also because what is "healthy" is really in question these days. Snack wells used to be considered a healthy snack because they were low in fat. We no now that it is full of just crappy stuff. Granola bars are not really healthy and a vegan would say that some cheese is very un healthy. People love snacks though because when I go over the no s with anyone who is curious, the moment I say no snacks it is like a glaze falls over there eyes. "But we aren't we supposed to have snacks". Is always the answer. "Or isn't it healthier to eat six small meals?"
Honestly the moment the whole we need to be eating 5 or 6 times a day I think the obesity epidemic got worse.