Struggling with my S day sweet tooth

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

GraceW

Struggling with my S day sweet tooth

Post by GraceW » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:18 am

OK, I've managed a perfect 6 weeks of No S-ing after two failed attempts and the N days seem to be under control. I've lost 3 pounds (so about 1/2 pound a week). Right now, the only mod I have is using smaller plates (8 1/2 or 9 inch plates) because I'm a pretty small person. Also, I'm good about loading the plate with veggies most of the time.

My big problem: my sweet tooth! I manage to avoid sugar (not just sweets) on N days, but I feel like my S days are a bit excessive. I'll have a mini-cupcake here, a piece of candy there, a lemon bar or two. My S days have settled down since the first two weeks (which were insane), but I still feel like I need more control on the S days. Should I continue to wait things out or is it time to add another mod, like a glass ceiling for sweets?
Last edited by GraceW on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:51 am

Personally, I'd recommend giving it more time. 6 weeks really isn't much. Keep in mind your changing habits that were built up over a much, much more longer time (I presume). You might consider an in between position of planning a thing or do for S days and keeping that thought generally in mind without making any sort of "official" rule or in any way beating yourself up or considering it a failure if you end up having more on those days.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:52 am

p.s. Great work on the weight lost and sticking with it for the 6 weeks!!

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:46 am

I'd also wait and see. I've been at NoS (successfully, like you) for 3+ years. Like you, I lost a reasonable amount of weight. BTW, I'm still losing slowly... :D

I never restricted my S-days. I never binged like some and it sounds like you don't either. Just a little relaxing of the rules all S-day long.

In those first months of NoSing, I'd have a cookie in the am with my coffee (a favorite of my husband's, so I just joined him), dessert at both lunch and dinner, seconds if I wanted. I wasn't really a snacker, but I might lick the bowls clean. That was EVERY S day.

Then, one day, seemingly out of the blue, I realized that I didn't really enjoy that cookie with coffee in the morning...so I dropped it. Another few months, and I realized that I was usually pretty full by evening and that I was ending up feeling uncomfortable/painfully overstuffed by eating dessert in the evening. I tried to give it up, felt deprived, and comprised by having only half-sized servings.

Few more months, and I quit making special (different) desserts for the two S days. One special dessert seemed to be enough. Now, we often don't have anything more than a couple of homemade cookies (compared to the brownies, cobblers, cakes, pies, trifles, etc. that I was making before). I make a "company-worthy" dessert maybe 2 times a month...any more than that and it now seems like just too much sweetness and richness. I far prefer filling up on delicious savories than sweet goodies.

So, all that to say, I do think you have a good chance of moderating your S days when you are REALLY ready and if you are, it won't feel like deprivation. If I had tried to force myself to eat the way I now do three years ago, I would have rebelled. But now, it FEELS GOOD AND RIGHT to eat this way. I have nothing to rebel against. I'm eating exactly the way that gives me the most pleasure. I love NoS!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:22 am

I agree with Vicki. Just relax and take it slow. You will thank yourself later when you are still plugging away while others have quit. Those losses will add up!

What about exercise? Are there some gradual increases to be made there?
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

GraceW

Post by GraceW » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:13 pm

Thank you for the the warm welcome and the advice, everyone! You're right, being patient and letting the habits take hold is the best course of action.

vmsurbat, I find it so fascinating how the S days settled down for you. A friend of mine has been No Sing since October and a similar thing happened to her: she found herself eating less and less on the weekends until they weren't that much different than her N days + a treat. She's lost 25 pounds so far! You're right, I need to be more patient and keep focusing on "days on habit."

On the exercise front, I'm a half marathon runner, so I think I'm good there. I do want to add some variety to my workouts, but I don't plan to increase them much more. Hm, it just dawned on me that I stopped getting get my usual huge bagel with cream cheese after my weekend long run two weeks ago because it made me feel bloated. Maybe it's another unconscious S day habit taking hold?

Thank you again for sharing your wisdom and support. I love lurking on these boards. They're so sane!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:43 pm

I agree with the others. Just wait. I would suggest not making any modifications for at least 6 months.

Another suggestion, which I don't consider a modification, is based on one of the rules from Michael Pollan's Food Rules:
Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself.

There is nothing wrong with eating sweets, fried foods, pastries, even drinking a soda every now and then, but food manufacturers have made eating these formerly expensive and hard-to-make treats so cheap and easy that we're eating them every day. The french fry did not become America's most popular vegetables until the industry took over the jobs of washing, peeling, cutting, and frying the potatoes -- and cleaning up the mess. If you made all the french fries you ate, you would eat them much less often, if only because they're so much work. The same holds true for fried chicken, chips, cakes, pies and ice cream. Enjoy these treats as often as you're willing to prepare them -- chances are good it won't be every day.

I do make an occasional exception for high quality baked goods, things that are hard to make at home OR things that no one else likes (in my family anything with coconut, for instance), usually in single servings. It's hard to overdo when you only buy one of something, unless you buy one of lots of somethings (yes, I've done that).
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

GraceW

Post by GraceW » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm a huge fan of Food Rules and this rule would definitely put the brakes on a lot of my sweets nibbling. Thanks for reminding me about this one.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Your S days don't seem that excessive to me. After almost a year on being on this "diet" I still tend to have pretty wild S days, and - bar some infrequent bouts of self-improvement fever - try not to fight them too much. Putting perfectionism and presumptions about what "normal eating" really means aside, I enjoy my safety valve, my freedom. Not always, of course, not when I'm stuffed, but when it happens, I crave N days all the more.
If you're worried, I might suggest some gentle, non-obtrusive ways to maximize your pleasure before you even think of tweaking here and there (I'm the master of premature optimization, so I know how tempting it is - the number of my posts weighing pros and cons of different mods is the proof!). YMMV, but these are the things that help me (70% of the time, at least) stay sane:
- Don't put any predetermined number/glass ceiling on your sweets, but - as Reinhard suggests - aks yourself if you REALLY want it. When I'm feeling super motivated, I use 1-3 scale (1 - I only want it 'cause it's available, 2 - sounds nice, but it's not on my S-worthy list, 3 - HALLELUJAH, food of the gods!).
- Make a S-worthy list. Seriously. When I started writing it, about 6-7 months ago, it was HUGE. It's shrunk considerably by now, and features mostly homemade baked goods, plus a handful of store-bought things I can't successfully recreate at home. On a typical weekend, I have two-three treats from that list.
- Plan proactively. I'm guilty of "eating it because it's there", but when I choose only the things from my list, it's a win-win situation.
- Be mindful. Eat slowly, put your treat on a nice plate, get utensils, take breaks, savor. And try to enjoy it in atmosphere you like most - for me it's usually on early morning, when I'm reading/surfing the net/watching movies, and nothing demands my immediate attention. My mom, on the other hand, enjoys her treat more when she's with people, preferably on a coffee date on Saturday evening. Whatever floats your boat.
I wish I had 100% success with these methods :P But, more often than not, they work. Try some and see if it's the same with you.

GraceW

Post by GraceW » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:36 pm

"S worthy" reminds me of the "sponge worthy" Seinfeld episode. :lol: I like the idea of making a list! Those tips sound like they will help me be more mindful.

My S days feel excessive because I tend to permasnack on sweets. But everyone's right: I have to give it time. Funny how 6 weeks really isn't that long in No S terms when you're talking about developing a lifetime of good eating habits. Thanks again to everyone for your wisdom. This is very helpful.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:10 pm

GraceW wrote:I'm a huge fan of Food Rules and this rule would definitely put the brakes on a lot of my sweets nibbling. Thanks for reminding me about this one.
I am, too, and I highly recommend it to those following No-S.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:26 am

Imogen Morley wrote: I wish I had 100% success with these methods :P But, more often than not, they work. Try some and see if it's the same with you.
I don't think anyone ever has 100% success with whatever method they use or habits they've developed, no matter how long they've been using them. Some people have been following something like No-S all their lives and there are still days that are far from 100% successful. The exception from the norm isn't as important as getting back to the norm.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Wow, all things are relative. I don't want to discourage you, but it took me almost two years to get to the point you are now with sweets! I was still eating 12 ounces of chocolate and other stuff on a weekend more than a year into it. However, I had still lost weight. But I turned a corner 23 months in and I'm losing more. It might drop away or you may have to try some mods out, but as you can imagine, I think it's too soon for that!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

GraceW

Post by GraceW » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Heh, like I said, I understated how much I graze on sweets over the weekends. The "no snacking" rule really highlights how sneaky grazing can be. All those little bites add up quickly. It's easy to snarf 1000+ calories worth of sweets when you graze.

Well, I made my "S worthy" list and it's surprisingly short. Planning ahead for a special sweet instead of munching on whatever's around is fun!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:05 am

Hey Grace! I just found this thread because you'd posted your testimonial, so I went to check where you'd started. It's so great that these older threads are still here - I've just read all through this one and it's so encouraging.

I have been doing No S for 4 months. My habit is pretty sound already - I like rules! But I do sometimes feel bad about how terribly I've eaten at the weekend. I do a point-of-purchase control system - I only buy about 100g of anything like chocolate, sweets, crisps, savoury snacks. Or one cookie from the baker's shop. That works MOST OF THE TIME!

It is helpful to have this reinforcement that TIME is the key to getting this right, for life!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

GraceW

Post by GraceW » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:26 pm

Hi, Rawcookie (love your username!). Thanks for the kind words!

Your strategy is my go-to strategy as well. You can't eat it if you don't keep it in the house!

Here's the weird thing: these days, I can keep candy around and not touch it. I store it on a high shelf in the cupboard so I don't see it, and as a result I don't think about it much. For example, I bought a bunch of Canadian chocolate bars a month ago. I haven't eaten any of them! I just haven't had an S day where I'm in the mood for candy. I know, bizarre, right?

Chips and crackers are still a huge weakness for me, though, so I treat them like S foods and keep them out of the house. Like you, I buy single-serving packages when I do get them.

You nailed it--TIME is the key. You have the rest of your life to practice this. Good luck!