Success strategies

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Success strategies

Post by kccc » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm re-booting me No-S habits, and remembering some of the things that work for me, and thought that a list of "things that work" would make a fun thread.

One thing I've learned is that I do better when I feel as if I'm nurturing myself rather than beating myself up. So, I have started looking for strategies that feel enjoyable rather than punitive.

One tough spot for me used to be Friday evenings - I wanted to start the weekends THEN. Some people manage a "slide" on Fridays, but that didn't work so well for me.

So, I've started "Festive Fridays," where I plan a special meal that is still N-compliant. For example, last Friday night we had jumbo shrimp, which are expensive enough that I usually don't get them. My family loved having such a treat meal as well.

Another strategy that works for me is "Less of Better" - smaller amounts of better-quality treats. I tend to savor them instead of eating tons, and the smaller amount is actually more satisfying!

What are your success strategies? What are you doing when No-S is really clicking for you?

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:36 am

Things that work for me when I'm having a good week are:

- not having large amounts (or any) sweets/treats in the house
- remembering that it's only 3/2/1 etc. days til I can have that piece of chocolate or dessert that I'd like - no big deal to wait that long right?? That's helped with Friday successes certainly.
- brushing my teeth after dinner
- making something really tasty for dinner - often the healthiest, freshest food tastes best too!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:05 pm

I think getting outside helps me. We've had a milder than normal winter and I haven't been taking advantage of it. Not surprisingly, I'm getting sloppy w/ No S.

I also wonder if my new gum chewing habit hasn't been detrimental. Sometimes, I feel like it reinforces the need to be chewing/eating without giving me the satiety of actually having eaten so I over eat or eat at off times because my brain has been primed. I need to give up gum chewing and see.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:11 pm

Great idea for a thread KCCC!

Let's see...

I plan meals ahead to make sure I include foods that I really enjoy and will look forward to eating.

I wear jewelry that is representative of NoS like this one from Palm Beach Jewelry:

http://www.palmbeachjewelry.com/product ... -40627.cfm

I'm in the process of making myself an inspirational bracelet to wear!

I have started a new strategy (and this one is from Judith Beck) and that is keeping a list of things in a notebook that I do each day that contribute to my success. From time to time I read over the list - which is getting lengthy!

I mark days off with a big X made by a green Sharpie (or red if need be) on the calendar which hangs on my refrigerator in the kitchen. I like having the constant visual of my success - especially in the kitchen!

If I think of others, I'll add them.
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

ginmarie

Post by ginmarie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:42 pm

My best helpers...
*brushing my teeth and turning in for the night sooner, but I haven't needed that one in a while.
*Savoring one really rich treat on an S day instead of nibbling along on less satisfying ones.
*Watching out for fast carbs on my plate (especially lunch). These are foods that for me, burn up too fast, like french fries, white bread etc and some fruits and veggies. The really "empty" fast carbs I save for S days, and the good for me but still too fast ones, I have to make sure get balanced with plenty of protein.
*Having a guilt free back up light snack plan, for me a mozzarella cheese stick, if I don't get the right balance at lunch and I get real hunger, the headache kind happening. Don't use it very often, but it helps to know it's there.
05/14/11 - 165 lbs
05/01/12 - 142 lbs
No S Lifestyle For Keeps :)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:59 pm

What helps me:

* We, too, do a "Festive Friday" meal. Usually homemade pizza or something similar. It makes going into the weekend a lot easier.

* Meal planning. I sit down each week and make a meal plan based on what's on sale, what's in season and what we having going on that week. Having a concrete game plan upfront really helps me to keep on track, especially on N days. It helps the budget too. :wink:

* I use a dietary default that I call "light lunch on N Days." As a default, I aim to have a hearty, filling, heavily veggie based meal for lunch during the week. At this time of year, I like to make a big pot of yummy homemade soup -- usually veggie/legume based -- and have a huge bowl of it for lunches with some add-ons like fruit, homemade bread, etc. This helps me to keep my calorie count and veggie count in check without actually having to count calories ... and gives me an added little flexibility/cush for my N day dinners and S days.

* Pedometer. I wear mine every single day and aim to get over 10,000 steps. This gives me a reality check on my overall activity level.

sheepish

Post by sheepish » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Something that I'm trying out at the moment is going for some positive rules for N Day meals: that lunch should start with some vegetables (usually a salad/raw vegetables) and that both lunch and dinner should end with a piece or two of fruit. I'm not making it a hard and fast scary rule - if I end up going out with my colleagues for lunch, I won't worry about it if it's not convenient to have the fruit & veg, I'll just do it if I can.

So far, it's working well - the extra fibre and tastiness (I love both fruit and veg) is helping me not to snack.

I prefer not to place restrictions on S days.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:29 am

Having starches that I love at almost every meal, and having about 1-2 ounces of something fatty at every meal, too. Looking forward to a lovely biscuit with butter, wheat tortilla with meat, veggies and tons of olives, high fiber bagel with melted cheese, cereal with walnuts of flaxseed meal, etc., have replaced gorging on sweets during the week. I eat whole cooked grains, too, but they don't have the slightly decadent (to me) element of flour products. And even though I don't think of fat as bad on its own, I still get a kick out of tasting it in my food. (Oh, I also have animal or vegetable sources of protein and lots of veggies at meals, but they don't give the thrill that the other two do. Though for me they're probably as essential.)

I was failing on Fridays at times and I came up with a plan to have fresh baked biscuits with strawberries and Trader Joe's European style yogurt, but I've never gone to the trouble and most Fridays aren't a problem.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

davidson

No S Diet General Discussion

Post by davidson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:20 am

Thanks guys for sharing it...........

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:24 pm

oolala53 wrote: I was failing on Fridays at times and I came up with a plan to have fresh baked biscuits with strawberries and Trader Joe's European style yogurt, but I've never gone to the trouble and most Fridays aren't a problem.
I had two homemade buttermilk biscuits last night. Homemade biscuits (the US kind not the UK kind) are a thing of joy and gustatory delight.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:20 pm

Yes, I still make biscuits (more like an English scone) some nights. They have kept me many times from scarfing down sweets.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Selina

Post by Selina » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:55 am

I promised my sister to send her a message immediately in case I screw up. That way I created an instant "punishment" for eating snacks/sweets/seconds, that outrules the instand ''reward" I get from eating this stuff.

Since I did this I am doing much much better. Really makes me think twice!