No S and religious observances

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Blithe Morning

No S and religious observances

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Lent is upon us and I've been contemplating fasting this year. After giving the matter some thought but admittedly not much prayer, I've settled upon fasting sweets on Sundays. Part of me feels like I am cheating - I should just fast sweets. Period.

But there is something deep within me that resists that. This makes me think that I should. Don't get me wrong; I'm not an ascetic. I don't believe harsh self denial really does anything for you physically, emotionally or spiritually. But I also believe that the baser instincts should be kept well in hand since they quickly can get out of control and become destructive.

I still don't feel the grace to give up sweets entirely. I'm balking as it is with just Sundays. (sigh)

Do you have a religious or spiritual observance that leverages No S?

ou812

Post by ou812 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:27 pm

The Sundays of Lent are traditionally not part of the forty days of lent and are like "little Easters" in themselves. Just something to consider in your decision.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:56 am

Interesting. I will probably change my practice based on a realization I had today. This is an excerpt from my today's journal where in I was musing on the Lenten fast:
So it's after 3PM on a Thursday and I know what I should fast. My daily gumball. Most days I'm in the office I buy a 25¢ gumball for a little sweet treat, the tiniest bit of sugar and distraction in the form of chewing to get me through the afternoon.

I bought one yesterday on Ash Wednesday. But I think I shall otherwise remain gumball-less until Easter. A gumball fast is more of a daily practice, something to remind me that woman does not survive the long afternoon on gumballs alone. When I am weak, He is strong.

Be it so and so be it.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:34 pm

ou812 wrote:The Sundays of Lent are traditionally not part of the forty days of lent and are like "little Easters" in themselves. Just something to consider in your decision.

This 8)
I gave up chocolate for Lent. Still allowed sweets on WE just not chocolate, but yes Sunday is never a day of abstinence we celebrate Easter everysunday.
The reason Catholics used to give up meat on Fridays is becuase the crucifixion was on a Friday therefore a day of abstinence or sacrifice. BTW Fridays are still a day of abstinence but not necessarily meat :wink: