What's worse: sweets or snacks?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Imogen Morley

What's worse: sweets or snacks?

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:55 am

I'd like to know your opinion on this matter.

I've been experimenting quite a bit lately, keeping my three-a-day routine, but allowing myself a few desserts here and there (read: at some point I had 8 in 10 days). I just made sure my indulgences were mindful and eaten with meals, and I walked as much as always, about 10 000 steps per day. Once a week, as usual, I stepped on a scale, and I was REALLY surprised that it didn't budge at all.

I think it was Kevin who said here that it's snacking that will kill you, and I think he might be right. What are your experiences?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:17 pm

It's unnecessary eating that will kill you. It's the eating that becomes automatic and forgotten, melding into the day so that over time you have no idea any more what you've eaten. And I think it also depends on what your problems have been. Personally as a former binger, I'd say RANDOMNESS is the problem because then I'd start to dicker. Is now a good time to have something? And how much? Can I have a dessert tonight? and again the next night? Etc. Maybe in 3 or 4 years. But not for me now.

But if I had to choose one, for me it would be SWEETS because they are extremely dense foods and it's easy to take in more than I'd actually need in just a few bites. A few bites of an apple or veggies-and-cheese snack aren't likely to end up being too much.

The only danger I can see from what you're doing is that your old "eating mind" might start saying, "Let's just see what we can get away with," and life starts revolving around the scale again.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:01 pm

I seem to recall that research has shown that most of our extra calorie intake over the last 30 years has come through snacks (I'm talking about the population as a whole.)

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:53 pm

Prior to finding NO S and these message boards and the book I had done NO S for about five years in the 90's and had awesome success with it. I lost weight, kept it off, and my blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure was all good. I ate a few bites of desserts once or twice a day during that whole time after lunch and or dinner.

There was no effort to eat low fat, low carb, low calorie, paleo, vegan, or otherwise :roll: during those years. Regular every day grocery store foods were eaten.

Also during those years the only exercise I got was yoga 3-5 times a week. :shock:

NO S works, it worked for me before it had a name, a book, and forums and will continue to work.
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:11 pm

Imogen, I assumed you were asking us for our opinion about our experience.

To qualify what I said, I think if I started to eat sweets for snacks/desserts more often than weekends, I would have a problem. I still like to be able to eat quite a hunk at a time. Maybe that's because I still do eat quite a hunk at a time! But it's working and a mod to eat just a few bites I know would be counterproductive at this point for me. That seems to work beautifully for many No S-ers and the world at large! Maybe I'll get there, but it's not a priority now. And my preference for the savory end of the spectrum continues to grow.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:28 pm

In general I think snacks are more problematic. Sweets can be if huge portions of really rich things are consumed.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:22 am

Snacks and sweets are equally problematic! As Reinhard says in his book...you need to build a fence around the rules and just decide to follow them.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

dirkandwhit

Post by dirkandwhit » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:46 am

I LOVE oolala53"s response!! I can honestly say that they random eating has killed me. I have gained almost 30 pounds over the last three years and it is the "little nibbles" here and there that has done it because I haven't stuck to a set eating plan or schedule. AND...in an effort to try to take off the pounds, not only have I tried every diet known to man (all of them that I can only stick with for a few days, miserably) BUT I constantly battle myself with the kinds of questions she described: can I have some desert? If I skip the side dishes, can I have two helpings of the main course? Would it be better if I eat two big meals? Should I drink two glasses of water before eating? Is it OK to eat after 7 pm?...I drive myself crazy!
I don't just want a thin body. I want a thin person's thoughts.
As for the original question - which I am sorry I got away from - I have found that my snacks are almost always sweets. I don's have much desire to snack on anything else!
A desire fulfilled is sweet to the soul Prov. 13:19a

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:48 pm

dirkandwhit wrote:I don't just want a thin body.
I want a thin person's thoughts.
:lol: Love it !
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com