No S Baby!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nicest of the Damned

No S Baby!

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:21 pm

I'm currently 22 weeks pregnant. My due date is August 13. It's a baby girl (we had a CVS) and so far she looks healthy.

I'm doing vanilla No S, without the mods I had been doing, while I am pregnant. The OBs have not said anything about my weight, so I think things are going well. I'm still overweight, but not as bad as I was pre-No-S. I plan to go back to some mods after the baby is born and I am done breastfeeding.

I'm hoping that No S will help me teach my baby a healthier way to approach food than the one I had.

tobiasmom

congrats

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Congratulations! I just found out last week that I am pregnant also! So I was planning to try to do No-S during pregnancy. I am so glad to see someone else doing it! So you just pretty much stuck with vanilla No-S and your weight has been ok? I am increased risk cuz I have high blood pressure and take meds. So I'm trying to keep my weight gain down!!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Wow, I am also having a baby and am due August 13! I won't say how much I've gained, but it's a bunch. I'm not doing vanilla No-S. More like, I try to eat good portions and minimal to no sweets. But it sounds like you are doing great!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:11 pm

Awwww!!

CONGRATULATIONS AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) :D :D
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:40 pm

Congratulations ladies!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Congratulations, Nicest, tobiasmom and Nichole!
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Nicest of the Damned

Re: congrats

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:15 pm

tobiasmom wrote:I am increased risk cuz I have high blood pressure and take meds. So I'm trying to keep my weight gain down!!
So do I.

I don't track my weight, or look when they weigh me. But I assume the OBs would say something if they were not satisfied with the changes in my weight. They haven't.

One of the benefits I hope I'll get is my baby growing up with a better attitude toward food than I have. My parents were (very young) children during World War II, and taught my sister and I to clean our plates. They went on all kinds of fad diets in the 80's, with forbidden foods, strict deprivation, the whole nine yards. I don't blame them for this- they couldn't have known any better, that was what almost everyone thought was the right approach to food then. But my sister and I both have weight problems (as do many people our age), and I think they are related to the attitudes we learned toward food when we were growing up. No S seems to be a saner, more moderate approach to food, and I'm hoping it will teach my little girl better ways to approach food than her mother learned.

This is also giving me extra incentive to stick to No S. I know that gaining too much weight during pregnancy could cause problems with my baby. I know that, after she is born, she will be watching me, and she will probably end up eating in ways fairly similar to how Nicest Husband and I eat. "Do as I say, not as I do" is pretty ineffective when it comes to teaching kids healthy eating habits.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Just adding my congrats. Love hearing happy news!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:33 pm

Congratulations to all of you! I was thinking of all of you when I read this article. I'm glad I had my babies before pregnancy became such a project and there were far fewer restrictions!

When I was reading Bringing Up Bébé the author mentioned that being pregnant was much more relaxed in France and there were far fewer restrictions. It was a lot more relaxed here 30+ years ago. I may have forgotten some, but I don't remember any dietary restrictions.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:30 pm

So happy for all of you. I would love to be pregnant again!!!!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:38 am

Congratulations! Good for you for not worrying about your weight gain during pregnancy... I had three kids and my body naturally sought out the same weight at the end of the pregnancy for all three of them. Only for the first two I wasn't as heavy to start out with, so my doctor scolded me everytime I came in for gaining too much. For the last one, I was alot heavier and so I didn't gain as much and my doc was happy with me - but the end result was the same. Trust your body to do what it needs to do to be ready to feed your baby when it is time! Best wishes!

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Amy3010 wrote:Congratulations! Good for you for not worrying about your weight gain during pregnancy... I had three kids and my body naturally sought out the same weight at the end of the pregnancy for all three of them.
I've heard of this happening. I think the Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy mentioned it, that the author had ended up about the same weight at delivery no matter what she did during her four pregnancies.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue May 22, 2012 7:01 pm

So, how are all of you pregnant ladies doing?
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:18 pm

I had my first baby back in July. I wish I could say that I stuck to No S. That completely went out the window at about 6 weeks when the morning sickness kicked in! I gained a whooping 70+ pounds when all was said and done! By about 6-7 months though I was back down to within 10 pounds of where I started. Now I'm ready to come back and am working on exercising and toning up!

I'm hoping to not gain so much with the next one, but I thankfully had no health problems during the pregnancy. I'm thinking my body just wanted that weight on me, but I also indulged quite a bit :oops: . It's super hard when those hormones take over, so I commend anyone who can maintain healthy eating habits during their pregnancy.

Congrats to all the pregnant ladies!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:21 am

I once read the experience of a woman who had her first baby when she weighed about 300 lbs. It was a very difficult delivery. After that, she determined to get smarter about how she ate, but also not opting for a low calorie diet. She curtailed the obvious excesses and lost weight before she got pregnant and throughout the pregnancy, losing the weight slowly off her own fat. She had an easy second delivery and recommended that other quite obese women not be afraid to eat smarter and less during pregnancy than they were used to. She was still overweight after the second baby, but in much better shape for herself and for taking care of her children.

I think your desire to adopt reasonable, moderate eating as a good model for your child is admirable!

I imagine they're more relaxed about pregnancy in France might be partly because they have around an 8% obesity rate rather than 33%. Obesity definitely increases health risks during pregnancy.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 24, 2012 9:23 am

oolala53 wrote:I imagine they're more relaxed about pregnancy in France might be partly because they have around an 8% obesity rate rather than 33%. Obesity definitely increases health risks during pregnancy.
What I was referring to is that pregnant French women aren't instructed to avoid shellfish, cold cuts, raw fish or eggs, soft, unpasteurized cheeses and so on. While they're not encouraged to consume alcohol as they would when not pregnant, it's not forbidden, either. Druckerman wrote, "The point in France isn't that anything goes. It's that women should be calm and sensible. Unlike me, the French mothers I meet distinguish between the things that are most definitely damaging and those that are dangerous only if contaminated." They don't dwell on unlikely worst-case scenarios.

In terms of weight gain, the French don't see pregnancy as a time to indulge and overeat. Cravings are viewed as an annoyance. Pregnant Frenchwomen are instructed to distract themselves from the cravings and eat an apple or carrot instead. Pregnant women are supposed to eat the same balanced meals as any healthy adult. If still hungry, they can add a simple afternoon snack much like children enjoy (some combination of bread, cheese, fruit, or yogurt with water to drink, for example).
Pamela Druckerman wrote:Tellingly, The Pregnancy Diet says that I an "cheat" with the occasional fast-food cheeseburger or glazed donut. In fact, American pregnancy can seem like one big cheat. Lists of pregnancy cravings seem like a catalog of foods that women have been denying themselves since adolescence: cheesecake, milkshakes, macaroni and cheese, and Carvel ice-cream cake. I crave lemon on everything and entire loaves of bread...

...Frenchwomen don't get a free pass to overeat, in part because they haven't been denying themselves the foods they love -- or secretly bingeing on these foods -- for most of their adult lives. "Too often, American women eat on the sly, and the result is much more guilt than pleasure," Mireille Guiliano explains in her intelligent book French Women Don't Get Fat. "Pretending such pleasures don't exist or trying to eliminate them from your diet for an extended time, will probably lead to weight gain."
The Pregnancy Diet she refers to is from What to Expect When You're Expecting.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:20 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I think a lot of what you brought up is also the reason there is less obesity. Savor delicious food on a regular basis during shared meals.

Esp. love that you report pregnancy cravings are regarded as just annoyances to divert oneself from.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 24, 2012 2:32 pm

oolala53 wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I think a lot of what you brought up is also the reason there is less obesity. Savor delicious food on a regular basis during shared meals.

Esp. love that you report pregnancy cravings are regarded as just annoyances to divert oneself from.
When I was pregnant I remember having two cravings: canteloupe and watermelon. That was before you could get them year round and by the time I could get them, I had babies who were 3-4 months old! I think they were available frozen, but they're not the same!

I also remember drinking a little alcohol when I was pregnant. It was the only time I've ever craved beer and I allowed myself to have one when we tailgated before football games. I also remember going to a wedding and an anniversary celebration and having champagne or wine.

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri May 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Congratulations from me, too! (I don't post much, but I visit frequently).

I never noticed cravings, but I had some pretty serious aversions to foods. I couldn't even smell beef without getting sick during my first pregnancy.

I didn't limit much of what I ate when I was pregnant. But the morning sickness and aversions and intense heartburn kept me from indulging too much. (I remember picking foods I wanted to eat based on how they would taste coming up again. Lol.) I had more trouble with weight after the baby was born - adjusting to the new schedule, relearning old habits, and forming new habits. I did not know about No S back then.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed May 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Hey, All! I'm still here. Just finishing up my first trimester this week! The nausea is definitely getting better. I would say that has been my biggest reason for snacking. BUT I am committed to No-S.

I am up quite a few pounds more than I wanted to be (like 8). So I'm just going to take it one day at a time and follow Vanilla No-S, especially now that the nausea has eased up!

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm at 32 weeks now. I don't track my weight, but my OBs have not said anything about it, so I assume I'm doing OK there.

I had an aversion to beef, too, earlier in my pregnancy. At least that seems to be gone now.

I'm working cravings into my normal framework of meals. If I'm craving something, I ask myself, can I have this as part of a normal meal? If the answer is yes, then that's what I do. I had a craving for pecorino cheese earlier today, so now tonight's dinner plan is pasta with pecorino.

I haven't had a lot of cravings for sweets, fortunately, so No S hasn't been a problem there. I learned how to deal with the occasional craving for snack foods or sweets before I got pregnant- wait until an S day to have them. It works for me, because I know it's not that I can never have whatever it is, I just have to wait a few days.

I've been reading Bringing Up Bebe and French Kids Eat Everything, and noticing some elements of No S there. Certainly the French idea that you should eat at meal times and kids can have one snack at gouter time is a very No-S-like element. One of the books (don't remember which one) also talked about French people not worrying about eating healthy on special occasions, such as at birthday parties.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Wow, you're getting close!

I'm assuming that the books on French parenting also include some of the attitudes about being pregnant as well. I doubt French women see it as a time to throw all eating rules to the wind as if overeating junk is good for a growing fetus.

Keep up the excellent work!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:08 pm

Nicest of the Damned wrote: I've been reading Bringing Up Bebe and French Kids Eat Everything, and noticing some elements of No S there. Certainly the French idea that you should eat at meal times and kids can have one snack at gouter time is a very No-S-like element. One of the books (don't remember which one) also talked about French people not worrying about eating healthy on special occasions, such as at birthday parties.
I don't think the French worry about eating healthy at any time, they just do it. They're also very concerned with getting pleasure from the foods they eat; that is something that is almost frowned upon here. It's as if "pleasure" equals "sin."

In Bringing up Bébé Druckerman mentions an acquaintance who is losing post-baby weight by "paying attention." She just paid attention to what she ate and omitted bread during the week, unless she was going out to dinner or dining at someone else's home. In France, it's considered extremely bad manners not to eat what you're served -- and you're always served bread.

The other thing I found interesting about the eating habits in France is that even if you indulge, it's always at mealtimes (or gouter, if you're a child). Adults snacking is unusual enough to call attention to the snacker.

Wynteranne

Post by Wynteranne » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Congratulations!!!
Anne