Do you exercise morning or evening?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

butterfly1000

Do you exercise morning or evening?

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:10 pm

I've been struggling to incorporate exercise into my daily routine for a long time. I know that in the morning it's easier to stick to a routine because nothing else gets in the way. However I have a hard time getting out of bed and straight to the treadmill. I don't go to bed before 11 (I've tried, but it doesn't work for me -- I end up waking up too early and having trouble getting through my work day). In order to exercise before work I need to be on the treadmill by 6 (which means get up and go straight on the the treadmill). To workout in the evening means after supper and after dishes, etc are put away -- and by that time I'm ready to crash on couch.

I'd like to have some input on how you incorporate exercise into your day -- is it before work or after work? I presume it gets easier with time?

Thank you!

Pinkcupcakes

Post by Pinkcupcakes » Thu May 03, 2012 12:20 pm

You need to find an exercise that you enjoy - so that you are enjoying it and not 'fitting it in'
I highly recommend Zumba, and if you can get a friend to go too, you could make it a social thing.
Also can you walk to work? I find walking much more enjoyable if it has a purpose - ie im exercising and getting to work at the same time. Or at weekends ill walk to the supermarket ( about 1.5 miles ) do the shopping and then get my husband to pick me up.
If you dont want to be where you've always been, change what you've always done!

determined

Post by determined » Thu May 03, 2012 1:16 pm

I can identify! I've always loved to swim, but since last July I've committed myself to swimming at the "Y" consistently & it has made such a difference. The problem for me is that our "Y" is so busy that the only times to get a lane is either at 1:00pm (impossible for me most days) and after 8:00pm. I live 20 minutes away & once I swim my mile, get dressed & then drive home it's close to 10pm. BUT, I love swimming. There are certainly days when I'd rather stay home on my sofa, but I know I'll be better off getting that swimming in. All that to say, if you find something you love to do, it WILL get easier, but the bottom line is that you have to choose. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 52 and I'm at the age when I just have to do it. I have to make a decision to be healthy. I have an older sister who has had 2 knee replacements, and various other health issues. She's just 9 years older, but it's been sad to see her choices led to problems.

So if the treadmill is your only choice, it sounds as if you need to make a schedule and stick to it....and make it a habit....period. I would bet that once you consistently exercise, even for a short time, you'll feel such a difference that you'll find yourself looking forward to it. Add some loud music, if that helps you...or a book on CD....or anything that gets you walking. You can do this....you really can...

Success to you...janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 03, 2012 1:22 pm

I don't "exercise" per se. I walk the dog. Morning AND night.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Sixty

Re: Do you exercise morning or evening?

Post by Sixty » Thu May 03, 2012 2:35 pm

butterfly1000 wrote:...I'd like to have some input on how you incorporate exercise into your day -- is it before work or after work? I presume it gets easier with time?
I do 14 minutes of shovelglove immediately after waking up on N days. I do feel pretty sluggish at first, but exercising helps me to wake up. I feel very good afterwards. I also do a 14-minute interval training session on a stationary bike Mondays and Fridays after work/before dinner. It doesn't really get any easier for me (many times I'd prefer to stay in bed or just crash on the couch), but my sense of resolve seems to be improving. I personally like starting the day with strength training - a cardio workout in the morning is too exhausting for me. I would suggest you focus on the exercise time and not the activity - try different things in your chosen time slot and see what you like best. Good luck!

rungirl96

Post by rungirl96 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:56 pm

I try to run first thing in the morning, because as you said, the chances of blowing it off increase as the day goes on. Sometimes I can get out and run at lunch, but now the weather is getting hot and humid here so that's not an appealing option. Sometimes I take a 15-20 min walk indoors (if too hot) with coworkers and it helps. You could split up your 30 min into two 15 min sessions and get the same benefit.

I dread the tread, boring! I'd have a harder time motivating myself to get up in the morning if that's what I had to do. As others have suggested find something enjoyable and convenient or someone to work out with. I used to meet up with a running group and that did help get me out of bed on mornings I otherwise wouldn't have. Another thing that really helped me is planning to run/walk a race, of any distance. It gave me a goal to work toward and I had a training plan to follow which gave me structure.

I didn't used to like to exercise and never thought I'd be one of those people that did, but somehow I got into the habit of it and now I can't do without. Glad I have one good habit!

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu May 03, 2012 4:49 pm

I have way too much trouble getting out of bed in the mornings to get up even earlier for exercise!

I tend to work out when I get home from work, or early evening before dinner (I eat dinner quite late, 7-8pm). What helps is that I match my workout schedule with my OHs, so I work out whenever he goes to the gym. I figure if he can get the motivation to actually go out and exercise, I can get the motivation to do it right in my own living room!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:07 pm

Early afternoon usually. I have periodic limb movement disorder, and I hate Requip, so I have noticed that doing the yoga in the early afternoon seems to alleviate the leg and arm issues as I fall asleep.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Thank you all for your feedback. I guess the key for long term success is to try and find something I enjoy. With summer coming up I'd probably enjoy more walking outside than the treadmill, so I could take advantage of that. Also, like it was mentioned, finding something I really enjoy doing. Zumba sounds really interesting, I'm going to see if they have it around my house.

Thanks again!

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Thu May 03, 2012 9:10 pm

I tend to be a morning work-out bunny. At the moment I'm into Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD. It's hard work, but what I really like about it is I know it's only 20 mins. I figure if I could happily spend that 20mins reading, browsing the web etc I can use it doing some exercise. I set my alarm to go off just before hubby's so I get up and do the DVD, then go in the shower after him. I'm not so great at working out in the evening, the only way I can is if I plan to in advance and spend all day 'reminding' myself, so I've really talked myself into a corner of 'I'm GOING to do it', by the time I get home from work.
Also I don't have kids, can imagine it's much harder if you do.
When nothing goes right...go left.

garros12

Exercise

Post by garros12 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:04 pm

No matter what time you go to your bed but what matters is at what time you wake up. Since early morning exercise can be very healthy as well as keeps you fresh for whole day. I wake up at 6 am and start doing exercise and also yoga.
I think morning is the perfect time for doing exercise. So start waking early in morning in order to have a good health.

motorin

Post by motorin » Tue May 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Morning for sure. Everyday before work, to set a habit. I try to get it done before everyone else gets up.

If I don't get it done in the AM, the chances of me doing gets lower and lower as the day wears on. I have two kids under five and my wife and I both work full time+. Other commitments just creep in and I'll find myself too busy to exercise, otherwise.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:02 pm

motorin wrote:Morning for sure. Everyday before work, to set a habit. I try to get it done before everyone else gets up.

If I don't get it done in the AM, the chances of me doing gets lower and lower as the day wears on.
It's true that as the day goes, the chances of exercising decreases (in my case also). I have to try and do it consistently enough for it to become a habit. I feel so good on the days that I actually do some exercise before going to work -- I need to try and keep that in mind when I'm glued to my pillow in the morning.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu May 10, 2012 2:40 am

Some days it's mornings, some it's evenings.

Today, it was after dinner. Tomorrow, it will be in the AM. I'm pretty consistent with my workout. If I skip too often, I just don't feel good.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu May 10, 2012 3:27 am

Morning for sure ....no matter what. Then I try to work in more exercise whenever I can such as a walk on my lunch hour or walking the dogs.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:33 am

The best time to exercise is when you'll do it consistently. I say five minutes of really vigorous exercise every morning is better than sporadic longer bouts later in the day, though you can do both. You can start with five every day. I'm willing to bet that doing that every day will actually make it more likely you'll walk or do something else later on some days, too. And getting up five minutes earlier sounds a lot more doable.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)