Need Advice

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruamgirl

Need Advice

Post by Ruamgirl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:37 pm

Okay, so this morning I had a bowl of Kashi GoLean (the original) with almond milk. It was a good breakfast, I thought. This cereal doesn't have a lot of sugar, while containing plenty of fiber and protein. But for some reason, I was still very hungry afterwards. After about an hour, I was famished. This same thing happened to me the other day after I ate two eggs, toast, and an apricot. I've been making an effort to eat solid, balanced meals, but they won't stick to my ribs. I have no problems with the other aspects of No S, i.e. no seconds, no sweets. But I'm really struggling with the three meals a day thing. I could really use some advice. Thank you!
So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable. -- Christopher Reeve

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:12 pm

If you are legitimately hungry that fast, I'd say your body is telling you it's not enough food, whether you think it is or not. I fyou've dieted a lot, it can throw off what a meal should be.

Some people feel little or no hunger on a lot less, but it's not you. Do not fear a bigger breakfast for now. It may change later, but go with it for now. Remember, you're eating only three times a day so you can afford to EAT, esp. if you aren't having a plate of lasagna or a double cheese burger and fries at lunch.

Personally, I would not call a meal without 20 grams of protein "plenty" of protein. Neither of your meals came close.

I also try to get 10 grams of fiber at breakfast, though that can be a stretch.

The cereal meal had no fat to speak of. I always add nuts to cereal, even though I use full fat milk. If I don't, I feel it. And I will often eat egg whites when I have cereal.

However, an alternative would be to have a glass of milk a couple of hours after breakfast, if you drink dairy. Milk has the same satiety factor as solid food. Nut milks and fruit juices do not. That would probably get you to lunch.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:20 pm

I agree with oolala53. You need more food in that breakfast. Two eggs, toast, bacon, and hash browns is a good plateful of food. Or, Kashi cereal with almond milk AND some ham or sausage or eggs, plus fruit.

You get to eat real meals on this program. Don't make the mistake of skimping on meals--you'll get too hungry.

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Thank you both for your advice! I have yet to have a successful day on No S due to hunger and headaches. But I feel like I eat enough. Last night after walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes, I ate some chicken and angel hair with Ragu. It seemed like enough food, but it barely made a dent in my hunger. Lately it seems like no matter what I eat, I'm starving soon afterwards. Not sure what's going on.
So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable. -- Christopher Reeve

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:03 pm

I don't quite understand why you think your meal "should" be enough. If it doesn't make a dent in your hunger, it's not enough food. Your true hunger is the measure, unless you have a health problem.

Have you been dieting a lot?

Even in slim European cultures, lunch and dinner consist of several courses. This means something like antipasto or soup and bread, pasta, meat and veggies with even perhaps another starch,and a light dessert. If one meal is lighter, it's more likely to be dinner, unless it is an event. You can imagine this would be quite a full plate, even though the portions are much smaller than in the U.S. They also take their time eating, which increases satiety.

When I first started No S, I had been eating three balanced meals and two protein and carb snacks a day. My problem was that I binged, too. I combined the snacks into the meals and still overeat some on weekends. As time has gone on, I've needed less at the meals. But at first, I needed all the food. I would get legitimately hungry about 4-5 hours after the meal. That is still true with less food, but it's been two years. But I still have protein, two fists of carb, about half a plate of freggies, including 2 veggies, cheese /nut butter or olives/avocado, and a little bowl (on the plate) of soup or yogurt for dinner. Lunches are similar, with a little less volume and no soup or yogurt. (I don't drink many caloric beverages.) I also take 20-30 minutes to eat, even if it means actually stopping mid-meal to wait a bit, though I'm so used to chewing a lot that I rarely have to.

EAt up, girl! and then pare down later.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:33 pm

oolala53 wrote:I don't quite understand why you think your meal "should" be enough. If it doesn't make a dent in your hunger, it's not enough food. Your true hunger is the measure, unless you have a health problem.

Have you been dieting a lot?

Even in slim European cultures, lunch and dinner consist of several courses. This means something like antipasto or soup and bread, pasta, meat and veggies with even perhaps another starch,and a light dessert. If one meal is lighter, it's more likely to be dinner, unless it is an event. You can imagine this would be quite a full plate, even though the portions are much smaller than in the U.S. They also take their time eating, which increases satiety.

When I first started No S, I had been eating three balanced meals and two protein and carb snacks a day. My problem was that I binged, too. I combined the snacks into the meals and still overeat some on weekends. As time has gone on, I've needed less at the meals. But at first, I needed all the food. I would get legitimately hungry about 4-5 hours after the meal. That is still true with less food, but it's been two years. But I still have protein, two fists of carb, about half a plate of freggies, including 2 veggies, cheese /nut butter or olives/avocado, and a little bowl (on the plate) of soup or yogurt for dinner. Lunches are similar, with a little less volume and no soup or yogurt. (I don't drink many caloric beverages.) I also take 20-30 minutes to eat, even if it means actually stopping mid-meal to wait a bit, though I'm so used to chewing a lot that I rarely have to.

EAt up, girl! and then pare down later.
I dieted briefly in high school, but that was several years ago. Now I'm more likely to just eat what I want rather than diet. For lunch today I had a pretty motley combination of food: two frozen waffles with butter, a Lean Cuisine, some chicken salad, and then a Skinny Cow fudge bar. It seemed like a lot of food to me. But it wasn't long before I was hungry again.

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:45 am

I think the Skinny Cow bar is a sweet, technically. Just for what it's worth.

You could have added a salad to that lunch instead of the ice cream bar. Or some other vegetables. Or a small pile of nuts, like raw almonds. Or even more chicken salad.

But take heart! I think you're heading in the right direction. Just keep trying to make it a full, balanced plate of food. :) Too much carbohydrate food, like the waffles and ice cream bar, can make some people hungry sooner.

Can you buy some deli meats, like sliced roast beef etc. for sandwiches? That can be helpful when you're not sure how to get enough protein. Canned tuna is also a good source. And 2% cottage cheese, full-fat cheddar cheese, and so on.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:23 pm

JayEll wrote:

Can you buy some deli meats, like sliced roast beef etc. for sandwiches? That can be helpful when you're not sure how to get enough protein. Canned tuna is also a good source. And 2% cottage cheese, full-fat cheddar cheese, and so on.
I would add hard boiled eggs to the list.

I'd also get rid of the processed foods and reduced fat products. But that's just what I'd do.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:08 pm

@ JayEll: You're right. It's definitely a sweet. I have a tendency to throw in the towel when I get really hungry. Still working on that all or nothing thinking. :oops:

@ Wosnes: I agree with you completely. My dad and I are currently taking care of my mom, who is in the final stages of her battle with pancreatic cancer. We try to cook and eat unprocessed food as much as possible, but sometimes it's hard to find the time to cook and grocery shop. Often, we just have to settle for what's in the freezer. Regarding low fat products, I agree with you on that too. I'm actually considering switching back to whole milk.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:32 pm

My brother is a fitness fanatic...the gym six days a week, running, weights etc. It takes half a box of Kashi to satiate his morning hunger. And he eats it...

Personally I imagine cinammon sprinkled lunch bags would be just as tasty. :lol:

I think JayEll hit it on the melon (head), breakfast for me is eggs, sausage/bacon, toast, sometimes hash brown. If I eat, for me, a proper breakfast, I seem to have much better days. A bowl of cereal and glass of juice is usually, never, a good thing for hunger control.
Last edited by Over43 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:08 pm

What kind of overeating did you do before you started No S? Do you note a difference between being hungry and having an urge to eat when you aren't really hungry?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:18 pm

@ Over43: Yeah, I wish I hadn't bought it. Too cardboard-y. But I didn't want to waste money so I made myself eat it, and because of the protein and fiber content, I thought it would keep me satisfied. No such luck. Lesson learned. Does your brother do No S as well?

That actually reminds me of something I've been wondering. Is No S compatible with lots of high intensity exercise? I only walk at the moment, but I used to run regularly and do strength training, and I'd like to get back into that eventually. One of the reasons I'm asking is because a lot of people I know who work out intensely frequently snack. And since No S usually involves no snacking...

@ Oolala53: I gained most of my current weight by basically sitting around and eating lots of fast food, while being depressed. I put on about 30-40 pounds in a couple of months from doing that. What's strange is that the breakfast I ate today was much lighter than the one I ate the other day, but for some reason I'm not as hungry. It may be because, since today is an S day, I'm not worried that I can't snack between meals. So maybe it's all psychological?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:46 pm

I gently suggest that what you often feel is an urge to eat that is not actually real hunger. My urges to binge used to come from the time I finished a meal until about three hours later. I just wanted to eat and I did but 15 minutes later I wanted to eat again. I think it's possible you are just having leftover feelings from having sat around eating too much and being used to being too full. If you can white-knuckle it through that time (or whenever the fake hunger comes), I bet you'll find you can then get legitimately hungry and it will get easier to tolerate that, too. Personally, I find it easier to tolerate real hunger than fake hunger!

I think you can find a balance of eating whole unprocessed foods and imperfect ones now and later. Taking care of your mom, you might now have the time or energy to cook a lot, but you might. In any case, you have to shop for groceries at some point. Buy some fresh veggies and frozen ones. Start adding them to your plate and cutting down on the amount of room the denser foods take up. (When I started No S, I had many plates of half pizza, half freggies. Or half a fast food burrito- I live in SoCal. Or other food not considered unprocessed. But I did have freggies and not just a cup of lettuce, either. I still do.) Eat slowly. Divide your plate into quarters and take at least 5 minutes to eat each quarter. Then sip a cup of tea and move on to some other activity. You just had a good meal. Realize the urges are likely fake hunger and are not a sign you need to eat more, and do something pleasurable or productive. Even curling up in a ball might be productive!

You might go online or even look to see in real life for support groups for those taking care of a terminally ill relative or friend. I don't know if that's related but it is a factor in your life.

Was the depression you mentioned a first-time thing? And over with now? I certainly have battled depression and anxiety, though No S has helped. But I couldn't have done No S without a lot of what I had learned. It's been synergistic for me.

And Reinhard himself says if emotional eating is a big issue, he is not qualified to help. Which doesn't mean No S is wrong; it's just that it's not enough on its own.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:02 pm

oolala53 wrote:I gently suggest that what you often feel is an urge to eat that is not actually real hunger. My urges to binge used to come from the time I finished a meal until about three hours later. I just wanted to eat and I did but 15 minutes later I wanted to eat again. I think it's possible you are just having leftover feelings from having sat around eating too much and being used to being too full. If you can white-knuckle it through that time (or whenever the fake hunger comes), I bet you'll find you can then get legitimately hungry and it will get easier to tolerate that, too. Personally, I find it easier to tolerate real hunger than fake hunger!

I think you can find a balance of eating whole unprocessed foods and imperfect ones now and later. Taking care of your mom, you might now have the time or energy to cook a lot, but you might. In any case, you have to shop for groceries at some point. Buy some fresh veggies and frozen ones. Start adding them to your plate and cutting down on the amount of room the denser foods take up. (When I started No S, I had many plates of half pizza, half freggies. Or half a fast food burrito- I live in SoCal. Or other food not considered unprocessed. But I did have freggies and not just a cup of lettuce, either. I still do.) Eat slowly. Divide your plate into quarters and take at least 5 minutes to eat each quarter. Then sip a cup of tea and move on to some other activity. You just had a good meal. Realize the urges are likely fake hunger and are not a sign you need to eat more, and do something pleasurable or productive. Even curling up in a ball might be productive!

You might go online or even look to see in real life for support groups for those taking care of a terminally ill relative or friend. I don't know if that's related but it is a factor in your life.

Was the depression you mentioned a first-time thing? And over with now? I certainly have battled depression and anxiety, though No S has helped. But I couldn't have done No S without a lot of what I had learned. It's been synergistic for me.

And Reinhard himself says if emotional eating is a big issue, he is not qualified to help. Which doesn't mean No S is wrong; it's just that it's not enough on its own.
I'm in complete agreement. I really do think those feelings are fake hunger. I will overcome them for sure. Thank you also for your advice on how to set up meals. I will definitely be incorporating your suggestions.

I'm currently on an antidepressant, which is fortunate given my current situation. I do have problems with emotional eating. Do you know of any books and/or resources that can help with this? Maybe a Sparkpeople group?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:33 pm

OMgosh, there are tons of books on emotional eating but as I said, nothing came together until I found No S. Too many of them recommended intuitive eating, or eating when hungry and stopping when full of the foods you feel drawn to. Or they recommend snacking. Too much focus on the food and eating too often.

For just examining emotional issues, I liked Shrink Yourself a lot. Geneen Roth is the queen of this topic but she too is of the intuitive eating persuasion. Some obese people have attended her expensive workshops multiple times and are still very fat. I think she believes too much that the desire to overeat will go away and stay away if you just find the right emotional release. I don't agree. But she helped me in process of decriminalizing food.

For dealing with negative thinking, I've liked a lot of the cognitive behavioral books, such as Feeling Good. I've used techniques I learned from it many times over the years. I've gotten a book from the library I like but I have to keep giving it back and yet I'm not convinced to buy it yet, but it's called Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook and it had a lot of good stuff. I'm reading The Anxious Brain now and wishing I had taken a regular practice of progressive relaxation seriously. I'm going to incorporate it this summer.

Anyway, I do recommend using books and even getting professional help but you can lost in it all. Three moderate meals a day is the best support for sanity I've ever found, though I had already incorporated a lot of whole, unprocessed food into my life. I don't like to put too much emphasis on that side of things here, but I've come to believe that eating good quality foods does help heal the attraction to junky food and actually supports healing the brain.

If you have a spiritual life, develop that, too. Though I'm not a traditionalist on that at all, I believe that truly spiritual musings, not ones focused on divisiveness or outer trappings, help foster healthy peace.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:13 pm

ruamgirl wrote:@ Over43: Yeah, I wish I hadn't bought it. Too cardboard-y. But I didn't want to waste money so I made myself eat it, and because of the protein and fiber content, I thought it would keep me satisfied. No such luck. Lesson learned. Does your brother do No S as well?

That actually reminds me of something I've been wondering. Is No S compatible with lots of high intensity exercise? I only walk at the moment, but I used to run regularly and do strength training, and I'd like to get back into that eventually. One of the reasons I'm asking is because a lot of people I know who work out intensely frequently snack. And since No S usually involves no snacking...

@ Oolala53: I gained most of my current weight by basically sitting around and eating lots of fast food, while being depressed. I put on about 30-40 pounds in a couple of months from doing that. What's strange is that the breakfast I ate today was much lighter than the one I ate the other day, but for some reason I'm not as hungry. It may be because, since today is an S day, I'm not worried that I can't snack between meals. So maybe it's all psychological?
My brother doesn't do No S, he runs 15-30 miles a week, and lifts weights in between. I think he eats 5-6 "small" meals a day, supplemented with Sierra Pale Ale.
Last edited by Over43 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Sierra Pale Ale supplements. Good one.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:28 pm

And to supplement what I said about spiritual musings, note that our illustrious founder Reinhard attends a book club that reads great literature and philosophy. I think they also partake of other spirits, too. The glass ceiling kind.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:02 am

[quote="ruamgirlThat actually reminds me of something I've been wondering. Is No S compatible with lots of high intensity exercise? I only walk at the moment, but I used to run regularly and do strength training, and I'd like to get back into that eventually. One of the reasons I'm asking is because a lot of people I know who work out intensely frequently snack. And since No S usually involves no snacking...[/quote]

Oh yea, No S is very compatible with hight intensity training. I have been a bit unfocused lately, but two years ago, as some people here have read (sorry to repeat) I started No S-ing in March 2010 and in May 2010 headed to the Grand Cayman. I had lost 15 pounds, for my fitness I rode a Schwinn Airdyne 3-4 days a week at a pretty intense rate. (I use Cooper Points, [see Start Strong Finish Strong by Ken Cooper]) and worked up to 40-45 Cooper Points a week.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:20 am

I think it's a myth that intense exercise necessitates snacking. Besides, No S and Everyday Systems is about choosing habit-friendly activities. I think you have to be a serious athlete to need frequent eating and serious athleticism is habit friendly for only a small percentage of the population.

If you haven't tried just using 14 minutes of very vigorous activity plus moderate cardio activity like walking consistently on N days, consider doing that for a couple of months before you decided you really need more frequent intense activity, unless you are seriously drawn to a sport and not just looking for a way to lose weight.

The proponent of intermittent fasting pooh pooh the idea that you need a lot fo calories before or after to work out with heavy weight. They don't believe in cardio, though and would rather fast than run to burn calories. Not the way I want to live, but routs the idea of eating just to work out.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:46 am

Good to know high intensity exercise and No S do go together. I'm not really interested in serious athletics, but like I said, I would like to take up running again. Hopefully, I'll be able to combine that with No S. Thank you, Oolala53 and Over43, for answering my questions so graciously and patiently.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:34 am

If you take up more intense exercise and genuinely need the calories (a lot of people overestimate the amount of calories exercise burns) then you could switch to four meals a day on an exercise day rather than three for example. NoS isn't strict about that, it's whatever works for you - within reason. My OH does intense weight training 3x per week and finds that he is more energetic and has better results in the gym if he eats something a short while before (usually mid-afternoon, prior to our evening meal). Then again, he doesn't actually need to lose weight and that's just one person's experience. You don't have to eat extra to work out a lot.

Personally I think that as long as you designate food to a 'meal' and think carefully about why you are doing it, and what food you need on your plate then it can work for NoS. Also it's fine to experiment - maybe if you take up more intense exercise again, try it without extra food. You may well be totally fine!

Oolala - intense exercise isn't always for losing weight and certainly isn't 'needed', but some people just like it :) Personally I like weight training as I want to actually have muscles and strength underneath this fat so when I eventually lose some of it, I'll have a bit of shape to me not just bone! :)[/i]

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:38 am

Just wanted to add--don't worry about intense exercise at this point. Your task right now is just to get the food part working. :)

Over43

Intense Exercise

Post by Over43 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi ruamgirl (is that supposed to be rumgirl?),

walking is a fantastic exercise method, in fact, most of us would be better off if we just walked. I have an acquantance that lost buku weight eating three meals a day (and she had not read No S) and walking. She still does it.

If you want to up the ante then "intense exercise" is fine. Of course what is intense to some people is much more, or much less intense than to others. I ride my exercycle three times a week at a pretty good clip. My daughter who likes to run (yuk) can't keep up with me pace wise, however, she would whip my fanny on a mile track.

If you find an exercise you like you can increase the instensity of your workouts within the parameters of your exercise, i.e. walking can become power walking or race walking, jogging can become running, etc.

I am trying not to oncrease my exercise time (truthfully there are other things I would rather do), but instead, within the alloted time that I do exercise I try to make that 35 minutes more intense.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm so sorry to read about your mother, ruamgirl, and will be thinking of you and your family. Look after yourself.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:35 pm

@ Milliem: I think you're right. People really do overestimate how many calories exercise burns. I think as long as I make solid, healthy choices for my three meals, I'll be fine.

@ JayEll: For sure. One thing at a time. Moderate exercise, while I get my head straight.

@ Over43: Lol, no it actually is ruamgirl. It stands for Russian American girl. My mom helped me come up with that long ago. Sometimes when I type too quickly though, I accidentally type rumgirl. :) I love walking; nothing clears my head like a good walk. I'm sticking with that for now.

@ Too solid flesh: Thank you for your kind words. It's the hardest thing I've ever endured. The pain comes in waves. I try really hard to hang in there.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:09 am

Didn't mean to imply high intensity exercise is just for weight loss. I love West African dancing- very intense exercise-- (did it 3x this weekend) and not for weight loss, though doing it consistently would likely whittle a few pounds off. I'll be working out hard this summer to get ready for dance camp in July. It's just more fun if I'm more fit and can keep up!

However, maybe it's because I still have plenty of reserves right under my skin, but I never get any hungrier when I'm working out or dancing a lot. I was No S compliant the last two summers dancing 2-3 hours a day at camp. What a fun life!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23