Any runners?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

blairloren

Any runners?

Post by blairloren » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Any runners out there? I'm not yet, but it is on my bucket list to one day run a half marathon.

The over thinker in me is already having anxiety about breaking my three meals a day. How do you properly fuel for long distance running (up to 13.1 miles) without snacking?

ou812

Post by ou812 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:53 pm

I run and am training for a half marathon in two weeks. I do it without needing more than 3 meals a day. A local college coach who is headed to London to coach Olympic runners gave advice to drink gatorade during the race every other mile and to pour the water down your back on the other miles. You need to eat sensibly during the three meals. Be sure to refuel your body with good stuff so that it has what it needs to run. I have run marathons on a basic three meal a day diet without any problems.

rungirl96

Post by rungirl96 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:51 pm

My longer runs are always done on Saturday or Sunday morning, and those are S day's so it's not an issue :D For a half marathon I don't think your weekday runs will be so long that you'd have to worry about breaking No S rules.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:07 am

I did my first half marathon in May, but they closed it down due to heat and too many heat casualties. I made it 11 miles before they shut down the course. I walked back to the start finish area after the course was shut down but it was not official and not the full race. I plan to do at least one more but mostly stick to shorter distances.

I eat a banana before I run long and then skip the banana I usually have for breakfast. Works for me!
Last edited by r.jean on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

GraceW

Post by GraceW » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Hello, runner and half marathon fanatic here! Like rungirl96, my long runs are on Saturdays or Sundays, so I don't worry about breaking No S. During the week, just keep your meals sensible and healthy and you'll be fine. Best of luck in your training!

bigshoe

Post by bigshoe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:30 am

I do a lot of hiking walking and biking but craving running lately. Maybe cause it's so popular and I see it everywhere. Maybe cause it's so natural? Think i'll start running when I get closer to ideal weight so there is less stress on joints. Just went for a swim (maybe it's olympic fever, maybe it's the heat)

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:37 pm

I used to run a bit, having the intention to participate in a running event of some sort. I later realised I didn't like running and stopped, but that's by the by. I never found I needed to eat anything extra outside mealtimes to facilitate exercise; just ensure your meals are balanced and providing adequate nutrition (which should be the case anyway).

If it does turn out to be a problem, allowing a scheduled mini-meal may help.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:52 pm

I jog occassionally. Seven years ago (?) I jogged up to 8 miles a day 3-4 days a week. Then it got tremendously boring. Western culture seems to have a romance with running that I feel I need to date, but have a hard time sticking with.

I really prefer the exercycle, more convenient, and less painful physically.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Most of your training time won't be spent running 13.1 miles. In fact, you will probably do the longer distances just on the weekends or S days. During the week, you will run 3- 6 miles, which can be done in about an hour. If you run more than an hour then a glass of chocolate milk is enough for post-workout replenishment. Technically, chocolate milk is a sweet, but if you drink it ONLY after working out - hard - for an hour then I wouldn't call it a fail.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:35 am

I'm a runner, on pause at the moment after having a baby. I was about 5 weeks away from my first marathon when I found out I was pregnant, and have run several half-marathons.

Every runner is different, but I found I needed to drink water every 20 minutes or so, and didn't need any additional sugar (drinks, banana etc) unless I was going to run for more than 90 minutes. Otherwise, a meal when I got home was fine. When marathon training, I did need to snack on the run, but that was for runs that were 10 to 20 miles. When training for a half marathon, it is unlikely your plan will call for many runs of 10 miles or more.

When I get back to running, I hope my No-S habits will be firmly in place, and I will save snacking for long runs only. I usually do long runs on the weekend anyway, so they would be on S-days. I'm hoping most of my midweek runs will fit in to the meal plan - e.g. breakfast beforehand, lunch afterwards.

I started out with the Couch 2 5k program (online) and built from there to marathon training. For anyone who finds running painful, or just starting out, I'd also recommend checking out ChiRunning.

Ruff

Post by Ruff » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:34 am

Another runner here, training for my first half marathon in September!

I run first thing and eat when i get back during the week.

For longer runs these are normally at the weekend. For doing a half you don't need gels and Gatorade and things like that. (assuming you are a back of the packer here!) I just drink water on a run. If i am out for longer then I take a healthy snack. (often nuts and dates because they are easy to carry)

After my long saturday run my hubby and I indulge in pancakes with honey, fruit and cream!