Amazon shoppers

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoSnacker

Amazon shoppers

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:01 am

Hi there..I wanted to share the recent experience I had via Amazon.

First, log off of the site when done shopping, not just close your browser, cause guess what when you come back weeks, months later you are still remembered and logged in.

A hacker was able to get into my account, ordered like 15 items all over $50 to be shipped to Turkey!! And one item they accidentally shipped to my friend as guess what the last thing I ordered was the No S book for her..so they re-shipped to their address, yup Turkey.

Amazon was able to stop the digital media stuff, but not the other 2 items..imagine that, I found the e-mail confirmations, called the vendor and they informed me it was too late to stop the Turkey order, it was packed and waiting for pick up.

Anyhow, I did read somewhere to ALWAYS log off of sites, not just close browser, especially if you do on line banking.

Oh ya, and I deleted all the credit card information that very morning, and have no cards ending in the number I found..so who knows what happened..Amazon did close down my account.

Buyer beware :)
Last edited by NoSnacker on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:37 pm

My son was telling me that a couple of months ago, he checked his email one morning and had an order confirmation from Amazon for stuff he didn't order. Fortunately none of it had shipped and Amazon cancelled the order and refunded his money.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks for the heads up!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:22 pm

I had the same type of thing happen only with iTunes...someone hacked into my account and charged $40 to it. I noticed it while checking my credit card statement online. I contacted iTunes cusotmer support and they could find no record of me making that purchase, and suggested that I contact my credit card company immediately to stop the credit card I was using and have a new one issued. Of course this was all over the Christmas/New Year's holidays so it took forever to get it settled. My credit card company conducted an investigation and several months later concluded that I, indeed, did not make the purchase and removed it.
Interestingly enough, the IT at my school said that it most likely happened while I downloaded a free app to my iPad. I haven't really added anything to it since, nor have I purchased from iTunes...BUT I buy from Amazon all the time, so thank you so much for posting this. I don't think I ever log out from that site when I'm finished...but I most certainly will from now on!
Thanks again!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:26 am

Thanks for the heads up - I do a fair bit of online orders so this is good to know!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:37 pm

What rotten luck! And good advice.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Paula Wylma

Always log off

Post by Paula Wylma » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:41 pm

This isn't just for Amazon, it is for all sites. As a security measure, you should always log out of any site that requires a password to get in. Closing the web browser is extra security after you log out not in place of logging out. If not logging out is a common practice, then thanks for posting and please post elsewhere as well--just make sure you include all password protected sites in your advice.

BTW, I had my iTunes account hacked and the only way I can figure out it was done was from an open wifi spot in a coffee shop. So the extra advice is never use an open wifi hotspot for any site that requires you to enter a password. If the wifi spot is password protected and the shop or hotel gives you a password, then it is probably safe. If the hotspot is not password protected, then hackers can monitor it for passwords. Hackers also sometimes set up fake wifi hotspots near coffee shops and hotels called honeypots to trick people into using their hotspot instead of the real one. It is a dangerous virtual world out there--don't leave your virtual door unlocked.

Thanks for the reminder.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:28 am

Hi there, come to think of it, just before all this happened I signed up for ITunes, after reading mimi's response on ITunes, I cancelled and removed application from my computer.

Paula, thanks for the insight on the web stuff. I have been very faithful in logging out and then closing my browser on all things.

Still can't find what credit card they used, as the one ending in the numbers I could find is not a card I own, which is strange, very strange.

Good new about Amazon, they gave me credit for my kindle books because I use cloud reader..oh ya, I'll have to log off of that as well...I used to leave open, but that is connected to Amazon..

Boy oh boy...