* * * July challenge * * *

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:14 am

I challenge you to publicly set a goal to meet by the end of the month!
This is for anybody who needs encouragement and daily accountability. Think of this as your own little cheering section.

- *Remember* to only post once at the top with your goal and edit that first post all month. It's easier to skim-read and find each other. Accountability helps!
- Please re-read that last one, some people don't get it.
- after July 2nd we will continue posting at the bottom for encouragement and fun.
- This challenge is meant for all of us to give support, so let's try hard to do that.
- anyone can start whenever through out the month. The more ~ the merrier!
- good luck and have fun with it!
Last edited by ~reneew on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:14 am

My months have been getting increasingly more red and not suprisingly, I'm not loosing as fast either. Since I started again... March had no reds, April had 1, May had 6, and June had 8 so this July I will reverse that trend and have less reds than the 8 that I did in June. I am also going to record all of those reds instead of leaving them blank (which is ignoring it, really).

July

1 :wink: S day
2 :wink: slightly special day since we still have company for "the 4th"
3 :mrgreen:
4 :roll: Definitely abusing the holiday! God Bless America!
5 :mrgreen: Back on the straight and narrow... I hope
6 :mrgreen: I do much much better when I plan menus ahead!
7 :wink:
8 :wink: snacks all darn day
9 :mrgreen: great day!
10 :oops: classic case of overconfidence. duh. Those bars hit me like a freight train... all 6 halves... and those bugles too... and then the popcicle. Ug
11 :mrgreen:
12 :mrgreen:
13 :mrgreen:
14 :wink: not too bad!!!
15 :wink: mild. Feel good about this weekend, but frustrated that this isn't faster. Call me impatient.
16 :mrgreen:
17 :oops: cookies again! Who invented those anyway?
18 :oops: so mad at myself... flirted with other diets... but my mind is straightened out now.
19 :oops: making my sons birthday cake... frosting.
20 :oops: What should have been an S event turned into an all day S-travaganza.
21 :wink:
22 :wink: not too bad!
23 :mrgreen: yea! I'm waiting for hunger to eat...
24 :mrgreen:
25 :mrgreen:
26 :mrgreen: waiting for hunger is really helping!
27 :oops: barely an oops
28 :wink:
29 :wink:
30 :mrgreen: I'm going to do it!!! Even with last week's "whatever"... I'm gonig to do better than last month! Now I want to do even better next month!

Last edited by ~reneew on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 32 times in total.
Please pray for me

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:50 pm

Okay my goal is to stick to this a whole month.....posting I mean. I will be on vacation the last week. Also on Monday we are going to an amusement park, my plan is to pack lunch if they allow it , but it might be hard not planning on sweets but things might not work out as planned as far as three meals.

1. S :D
2. S :D declared it an s day went to six flags with the family!!!!
3 N :( Fail
4S :)
5. :D Success!!!!!
Last edited by snapdragon on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:25 pm

I will join. I was trying to get this going mid June but I seemed to mess up each and every time. Really want this time to be different. My goal, however is success if i stop WTH or a binge. I am not going to pay attention so much to getting No S completely right as I think I'm not ready for that yet. Stopping a binge should be first and foremost my goal.

It only counts as stopping a binge if I am able to have 1-2 things I hadn't really planned on and make that the last thing I have. I say 1-2 because I don't want WTH effect to happen if I have 2 things instead of 1. I think that sounds reasonable. If I have 3 things that are extra it's borderline success... maybe like a yellow day. And yes, I'm counting S days in this too because S days I tend to binge crazily. On S days I will be planning 1-2 treats and that's it. I know it's a little harsh but I feel like the only way to crush WTH effect is to deal with it on all days of my life. Once I have this under control, I will resume regular S days.

Green for stopped WTH successfully and also stuck with Vanilla No S on an N day
Yellow for not so perfect and a few mess ups, but did not binge or overeat
Red for failure (binged) and major WTH

so:

June 29: :oops: definitely binged here
30 :) - lost my dog to cancer, wasn't a great day but didn't binge
July 1 - :) did kind of badly still but not awful
2 :) didn't binge but very upset this day still
3 :) did pretty badly with eating but didn't binge still
4 :) - Wow, so it's been hard to be perfect, imagine that!
5 :mrgreen: success finally!
6 :) ok but not perfect
7 :) not a bad one. wedding at night and didn't pig out
8 :) another decent one
9 :) I am counting as success but almost not. didn't do WTH so success!
10 :) almost WTH, borderline bad but I stopped. Really getting close to a fail though. Gotta do better!
11 :)
12 :)
13 :)
14 :)
15 :)
16 :)
17 :)
18 :) honestly i can't remember the last week because i haven't been logging on here as a i should. but i do know there were no binges!
19 :)
20 :)
21 :)
22 :)
23 :)
24 :)
25 :)
26 :)
27 :)
28 :) have done great again the last week. hoping to keep it up!

I think I can, I think I can!
Last edited by MJ7910 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:53 am, edited 13 times in total.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:36 pm

I have a more liberal period coming up, with a lot of planned Non-Weekend S days. My goal is to eat moderately on these planned NWSs, with only one treat per day.

My habitcal will just show yellow for these NWS days, so I will use this thread to post with greater granularity: a NWS day with one treat would be :D / :mrgreen: , and a NWS day with more than one treat would be :D / :oops:

If anyone has better suggestions for ways of doing this, please let me know.

Sun 1.7 :D
Mon 2.7 :mrgreen:
Tues 3.7 :mrgreen:
Wed 4.7 :mrgreen:
Thurs 5.7 :D / :mrgreen:
Fri 6.7 :D / :mrgreen:
Sat 7.7 :D
Sun 8.7 :D
Mon 9.7 :D / :oops:
Tues 10.7 :D / :mrgreen:
Wed 11.7 :D / :oops:
Thurs 12.7 :D / :mrgreen:
Fri 13.7 :D / :oops:
Sat 14.7 :D
Sun 15.7 :D
Well, that didn't work as well as I hoped, although I did eat less than I would have without the one S per day attempt. Back on the straight and narrow, now.
Mon 16.7 :mrgreen:
Tues 17.7 :mrgreen:
Wed 18.7 :mrgreen:
Thurs 19.7 :D
Fri 20.7 :mrgreen:
Sat 21.7 :D
Sun 22.7 :D Too much to eat this weekend. Roll on N days.
Mon 23.7 :mrgreen:
Tues 24.7 :mrgreen:
Wed 25.7 :mrgreen:
Thurs 26.7 :mrgreen:
Fri 27.7 :mrgreen:
Sat 28.7 :D
Sun 29.7 :D
Mon 30.7 :mrgreen:
Tues 31.7 :mrgreen:
Last edited by Too solid flesh on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 am, edited 23 times in total.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:57 pm

My plan for July is straight up Vanilla No-S, since I eat pretty healthfully already. My biggest hurdle will be not giving into sweets at night, since it usually results in a binge (last night I ate FIVE Reese's cups - yikes!). I will also continue exercising daily. Here's to a new month!

Jocelyn

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:30 pm

Five Reese's cups used to be the start of a binge for me... but last night I had a fail with about a cup of fresh cherries (eaten out of the bag, not in a bowl) and about 2 cups of cereal-- same thing. This was after dinner. I felt so full!

Okay, let's try this again. Though I don't have 21 days of Vanilla in June, my real project is to have 21 days straight of 10 minutes of resistance work on N days. I don't want to let myself off the hook because I've been going to Jazzercize classes often (in prep for dance camp) because I know I won't keep that up as often after camp, so they are icing on the cake. I want to make that 10-minute of weight work a minimum! I can't believe how I let myself not do it when I do have the time. Such resistance to resistance work! Esp. when I can feel the benefits very quickly. I commit myself only to that, though I will likely do other exercise as I often to to dance classes on weekends. I will also give myself the time off when I am at dance camp July 8-11 because I will be going to 2-3 dance classes a day. And weekends will off for the 10 minutes of resistance.

I have a hard time remembering to check in to update this each day. maybe that's because I don't use the habitcal, either. I resist that, too. Even when it's good news.
July 1 success
July 2 success at all three
July 3 success at No S and cardio
July 4 NWS day 4 cookies and 2 bread rolls after finishing dinner and dessert

July 24. Well I sure have dropped the ball on this. I had green days while I was at dance camp July 8-11, but have failed a lot since then. Yesterday was just with fruit. I will go to have dinner soon and really want to be able to report a success.
Last edited by oolala53 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jenp

Going for 31 Days!

Post by jenp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:35 pm

I am building off just starting NO S-ing in June and made 21 days on the 30th of June. So far, so good. I think I'm doing well because I've tried and failed on so many other plans and I've really gotten good about dealing with my feelings and looking at what's going on around me emotionally, so I feel like I can handle feelings that come up. Also, I just made the decision: This is what I'm doing, period. No, I will not have a snack. I'm going for the whole month of July!

1 :) this is an S day
2 Will be at the beach the 2nd through 6th, but I already told my husband I'm No-Sing my way through it, so I plan to stick with it. ***I was traveling this day and did it! :)
3 :) So far, so good!
4 :)
5 :)
6 :) This turned into an "S" day, as we celebrated my husband's birthday a day early. I ate my three meals and then had ice cream later.
7 :) I overdid it, as seems to be my tendency for at least one S day. Tomorrow I'm going back to three meals since it makes me feel better physically! Also, I think next weekend I'm going to try sticking with three meals plus ONE dessert or snack extra, and that's it. Being out of control feels awful!
8 :) Ugh, it's an S day, so I'll count as okay, but i overate again. Next weekend I'm just going to eat my normal three meals and buy ONE dark chocolate bar and add it in as I choose for my sweets. I'm so sick of feeling crappy on the weekend after feeling good all week, and I'm not losing any weight!
9 :)
10 :)
11 :)
12 :)
13 :( and (':oops:') Ate a few chips at the Mexican joint before my lunch, forgetting to not have "seconds," but oh well. Also ate a bigger lunch than needed, but will have a small dinner to make up for it. Implementing three meals and one chocolate bar for weekend this weekend. Let's see how it goes. Still NO weight loss. ******Today was my first real red day since starting this back in June. I hoped it would never happen, but that's not really realistic. I think I went wrong two ways: I started getting really, really focused on weight loss as opposed to just staying on plan and keeping sane around food, and because of that I was starting to get too crazy about eating health food all the time, thus restricting myself. This is a common pattern for me, which I think can be resolved with NoS, but because I focused on weight loss, not so much. I'm going to stop weighing myself and set non-weight goals and see if that keeps me on track.
16 :( and :oops: Nope. I have just lost my focus. I really have gotten too obsessed with weight loss and eating healthy instead of focusing on the habit. I started off so well! I promised myself I'd dedicate to this lifestyle for at least three months, though, so I'm starting again tomorrow.
17 :)
18 :)
19 :)
20 :) After Monday I got back on track for the week. Tuesday was hard, but I kept reminding myself to make eating the three meals a day a habit and make that the goal, not weight loss. Seems to have worked. The other thing I did was remind myself, if I wanted to eat outside of my three meals, "it's just a thought, I don't have to do it." That seemed to help, too. My goal for this weekend is to stick to three meals per day with the addition of one dessert or snack per day. I want to have a weekend where I enjoy food and don't end up feeling sick!
22 :) - WAHOO! This was my most comfortable weekend since starting No S June 10. This weekend I ate three meals, but at the end of dinner Saturday I had a few pieces of cake, and on Sunday I had an additional dessert a couple hours after dinner. And that was it. No crazy binging, no crazy anything. I ate more cheese than usual, but it was with my meals, and I felt great!
23 :) Had a win today when I really, really wanted to eat something out of bored after dinner. I just kept reminding myself it was just a thought, not something i had to do, and I got through it and I was so proud of myself!
24 :)
25 :)
26 :)
27 :) Another good week. Plan for weekend same as last - eat three meals but whatever I want (no forcing myself to have a salad if I want a grilled cheese) and one dessert/snack each day.
28 :)
29 :) This weekend was pretty good. Saturday was better than today, but today was fine. Got a little snacky after dinner and in the evening - but not an all out binge and this is why this is built in to this program, so I can sometimes eat chocolate or an extra thing here or there. Ready to start Monday on the right foot!
30 :oops: Yeah, not so much. On track all day, but in the evening have lost it. I did it AGAIN: I started trying to restrict food groups (carbs) in order to lose weight. I swear, this is a lesson that I just haven't learned yet! Doing three meals a day is great for me, but restricting in order to lose weight and putting hard parameters on my eating seems to backfire every single time. Back to vanilla no s tomorrow.
31 :oops: ugh. I didn't stick with it again today. I have to go easy on myself, though. We're moving this week. That means packing and, worse than that, saying goodbye to a place where I've lived the last 8 years and also my mom, which is the hardest thing. Ideally I wouldn't ever use food to deal with my emotions, but beating myself up for it won't help. Tomorrow is a new day, a new month, and I know I can stick with this!
Last edited by jenp on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:20 am

No reds in June, so I am back for July! I will be doing No S + 1 Mod. I will not take any S-Days in July.

01 Success
02 Success
03 Success
04 Success
05 Success
06 Success
07 Success
08 Success
09 Success
10 Success
11 Success
12 Success
13 Success
14 Success
15 Success
16 Success
17 FAIL
18 Success
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 18 times in total.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Over43

No S July

Post by Over43 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:40 pm

1. :D
7. :D
8. :D
14. :D
15. :D
21. :D
22. :D
28. :D
29. :D
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:33 pm

My goal is to actually stick to No S for one full month, no matter what kind of rebellious or cranky feelings I have! I really believe this is the only way out of overweightdom for me, and I have to stick to it!

I also love the idea that NoSnacker had about green being a perfect No S day, yellow being not perfect but still within reason, and red being pig-out, binge days. I may try to incorporate that a little bit. If it doesn't work for me, I can always omit that and do vanilla no s! Here's to a great month!

7/1: S Day
7/2: Borderline... food intake wasn't terrible, but the feeling behind it was crazed eating so I'm calling it a red... red as in "warning, be careful!" not red as in fail.
7/3:
7/4:
7/5:
7/6:
7/7:
7/8:
7/9:
7/10:
7/11:
7/12:
7/13:
7/14:
7/15:
7/16:
7/17:
7/18:
7/19:
7/20:
7/21:
7/22:
7/23:
7/24:
7/25:
7/26:
7/27:
7/28:
7/29:
7/30:
7/31:
Last edited by sarahkay on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paula Wylma

July is a good month to start

Post by Paula Wylma » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm back! I was on this board for a couple of years between 2008 and 2010. I was very successful in building the no s habits but my weight loss slowed and I stopped losing weight. So, with my company's yearly weight loss contest arriving in January of 2011, I stopped no S and tried a new diet that worked rather well for me. I lost 20 lbs last year and kept it off afterwards. This year I used the same diet but lost only 15 pounds and it was a much bigger struggle and I am having a harder time maintaining the weight loss this year. I decided that my problem is night-time eating which is a habit I had broken when I was on no s. So I've decided to do No S again, at least for the summer to get my habits back under control. From my previous time on No S, I know that the best time to start it is when you only have a couple of days of no s before the first s day--so this July is perfect. I'll start Monday and have an S day on Wednessday and then two days of no s before the weekends. That way I'll already have a successful week as support for the second week of July.

So it's plain Vanilla No S for me for all 31 days.

1. :-) S-Day!
2. :-) success!
3. :-) success!
4. :-) S-Day
5. :-) success!
6. :-) success!
7. :-) S-Day
8. :-) S-Day
9. :-) success! I was unexpectedly offered overtime so I ate dinner at the cafeteria at work rather than at home. On any other diet I wouldn't have been able to do that.
10. :-) success!
11. :-) success!
12. :-) success! This was my day off this week so it was tougher than previous days. I offered myself a food reward to do something I have been putting off--but I to too lazy to do the task, so no reward and a successful N day.
13. :-) success!
14. :-) S-Day
15. :-) S-Day
16. :-) success!
17. :-) success!
18. :-) success!
19. :-) success! Supervisor passed around candy today. Instead of refusing this time I decided to save it for Saturday. So it's in my "treasure chest" in the freezer. There are lots of ways to deal with free sweets temptation. :-)
20. :-) success!
21. :-) S-Day
22. :-) S-Day
23. Oops! Failure!!! And it's only 7:30 am! And I am not the least bit sorry or bummed out. See posting below for details.
28. :-) S-Day
29. :-) S-Day
31. :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Paula Wylma on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:57 am, edited 12 times in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:55 am

Hello, Paula. I started seriously at the end of December in 2009, so I just missed you. Welcome back. I'm glad for you that you haven't returned having gained weight, as many have, but that you also believe there is value in the habits. How much weight have you lost all together? I'm glad to hear you did it in stages. It's too late for me to have done it all at once!
Last edited by oolala53 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:10 am

I'm up for a new month...last month didn't go so well! I have been suffering from the WTH effect...not so good, but.......... I plan to do the following which is modified a bit:

Green for the perfect No S Vanilla
Yellow for not so perfect, but did not binge
Red for, you got it a failure (binged)

7/1: :oops: Borderlined binge, had 2 ears of corn instead of one, extra chicken and my snacks were (2 regular sized snickers ice cream bars, and a few pieces of my DH chocolate)
7/2:
7/3:
7/4:
7/5:
7/6:
7/7:
7/8:
7/9:
7/10:
7/11:
7/12:
7/13:
7/14: Binged?
7/15: Binged?
7/16:
7/17:
7/18:
7/19:
7/20:
7/21: Binged?
7/22: Binged?
7/23:
7/24:
7/25:
7/26:
7/27:
7/28: Binged?
7/29: Binged?
7/30:
7/31:
Last edited by NoSnacker on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:10 am

I'm up for another month of No-S! June was great at the beginning but I got sick towards the end and that combined with the end of the school year stress really did me in and I just kind of gave up for the last week...

But I'm taking my own advice and that is to not beat myself up and just keep on going - for the month of July. Which will be challenging, because we will be on the road the entire month. But what is the alternative? Go hog wild all month and come home heavier and unhappier than ever??? So my goal for July is Vanilla No-S. I am counting the day we fly from Europe to the US as an S day, but my intention is to be very reasonable that day.

1 :) (so easy to start the month with an S day!)
2 :mrgreen:
3 :mrgreen:
4 :mrgreen: (3 in a row - yay!)
5 :wink: (transatlantic flight)
7 :)
8 :)
22 :)
28 :)
29 :)
2 :D (transatlantic flight)

Goal for the month: stick to the 3 meal structure for my No-S days, even on long car travel days. Focus on enjoying the wonderful people and sights we will be seeing and not stressing about meals. Check in here each day to keep myself on track...

Let's have a great month, everyone! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Amy3010 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

loligoss

July No S

Post by loligoss » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:26 pm

My goals are:
Get N days down to pat with no binging. I do have 3-4 meals a day depending on the situation. Also I eat whilst preparing dinner...I know I shouldn't but that's the next habit I will work on once I get the N days right. (hence 4-5 "plates" a day)

Enjoy S days. Eat what I enjoy eating

Exercise: 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week. 1-2 swimming sessions between 30-40 laps

Get some more shut eye. I now get between 5-6 hours a night.

1 N day, was worried that after an S day would find it impossible to stick to plan. :) Loved my food I ate today. :D Exercise: Kathy Smith B Fit
2. N :D exercise: Ripped in 30 week 3.
3. :oops: Went out for supper with hubby and indulged in his ice cream coffee (ordered a diet one for myself and then took half his cream and ice cream and dumped it in). We did order our meal to be made of 4 entrees (instead of main course), I think that worked as we had lots of food, but not too much. We walked for a long time and I had already been walking for 40 minutes before we met.
4. :oops Met my Mum for lunch. Prob. ate a bit too much. Then made roasted peanut butter and "tasted too many nuts, and too much peanut butter" so turned it into an early supper. I did walk for about an hour in total today. That's what happens when you have to use public transport because you told hubby he could have the car.
5. Food :P Exercise :P (Ripped in 30)
6. Food S day Exercise: Exercise :P (32 laps in pool)
7. Food S day. Chose treats from DAMY's site. Really fun eating a healthy "bounty" flavored cake. E: Jillian's cardio workout + weights.
8. Food: Trying to eat 5 meals a day much smaller. It's helping my heartburn. I just never get hungry.. Exercise: )A tape I found on You tube
9. Food: Yummy! Exercise: Another Youtube exercise (cardio bootcamp)
10. Food: Really yummy. Getting used to eating more meals than before (I know on no S you should be eating 3 meals only but for me 5 meals stops the binge..I hope).
11. Food :D Ate out twice (salads and juice) Exercise :D
12. Food: really off plan. It hapened at supper and turned into a major binge. I think it was triggered because I felt I was losing weight but when I got on the scale in the morning I was up two more pounds...all day I was fuming until bam I just didn't care. Finding it hard to get back to normal
Exercise: Great. I love finding free exercises on youtube did Tae Bo Amped.
13. S day...hmm..scared the binge will continue...
It ddid continue. At least I got to the pool. exercise: :D food: :oops:
14 S day...binged really badly food: :oops: Took the Insanity fit test: exercise :D
15 Back to normal. Insanity workout at 530am: :D Food: :D.
A friend lent me her vitamix...instead of taking half an hour to make peanut butter it took me 2 minutes! Wow I'm so excited now I have my meal 2 and 4 worked out.
16 :D Food: Exercise :D.
17 :D Food: Exercise :D.
18 :D Food: Exercise :D.
19 :D Food: Although I did have seconds of veg. Exercise :D.
20 the true test is today and tomorrow as they are S days. Plan to go swimming later.
Last edited by loligoss on Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:59 am, edited 6 times in total.
Don't be afraid to change.

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm in for July! I'm just going for straight vanilla NoS, because I do eat very healthfully...it's just those sweets that get me every time. I might count July 6th as an Sday, though--my birthday is on the 7th (a Saturday), but a lot of people want to celebrate on the 6th, too...so we'll see how that goes.

Sun 7/1: :D
Mon 7/2: :mrgreen:
Tue 7/3: :mrgreen:
Wed 7/4: :D
Thur 7/5: :mrgreen:
Fri 7/6: :mrgreen:
Sat 7/7: :D
Sun 7/8: :D This week is going to be harder, after all the post-birthday/post-holiday celebrating!
Mon 7/9: :mrgreen:
Tue 7/10: :mrgreen:
Wed 7/11: :mrgreen:
Thur 7/12: :mrgreen: So far, so good--even though I keep forgetting to update!
Fri 7/13: :oops: Had friends come over to grill out for dinner...and they brought stuff for s'mores. I'm powerless against a toasted marshmallow.
Sat 7/14: :D
Sun 7/15: :D
Mon 7/16: :mrgreen:
Tue 7/17: :oops: Had a chocolate chip cookie.
Wed 7/18: :oops: Long, multicourse family-style dinner out with friends that ended with a few bites of flourless chocolate cake...and I enjoyed every minute of it!
Thur 7/19: :D Today was easy!
Fri 7/20:
Sat 7/21:
Sun 7/22:
Mon 7/23:
Tue 7/24:
Wed 7/25:
Thur 7/26:
Fri 7/27:
Sat 7/28:
Sun 7/29:
Mon 7/30:
Tues 7/31:
Last edited by Jennifer24747 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Discovered NoS April 25, 2012!
SW: 157
CW: 156
GW: 140-145

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Amy3010, I just wanted to tell you I have used No S on road trips (shorter than yours) and it worked quite well. I allow myself coffee in between, so that satisfied any desire to snack on road food. If you want road snacks, get have them with your meals!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:12 am

Thanks for the tip, Oolala - coffee is such a life saver! It's good to know what worked for you and that No-S is do-able on a car trip. I know my kids will want lots of snacks in the car, so I'll try to get them to choose things I don't like! :lol:

Paula Wylma

No S is best really

Post by Paula Wylma » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:34 am

oolala53 wrote:Hello, Paula. I started seriously at the end of December in 2009, so I just missed you. Welcome back. I'm glad for you that you haven't returned having gained weight, as many have, but that you also believe there is value in the habits. How much weight have you lost all together? I'm glad to hear you did it in stages. It's too late for me to have done it all at once!
Hi oolala53,
My official weight loss for both years combined was 35 lbs lost over two 12 week contests. I say official because on our last weigh-in I was at a artificial low weight ( you know how weight bounces during a diet). I have been maintaining a weight range from 2 to 4 lbs above my low weight. Last year, the other diet was new enough that I still had most of my No S habits and I maintained the weight loss by adding free day on the weekends and holidays (sound familiar?).

It was mainly the contest that motivated me to switch from No S. My first month on No S back on 2008 I lost a decent amount of weight and then it slowd down. Since I was in a contest and it is a team contest, I felt that I needed to lose weight faster. But for slow weight loss you can't beat No S. There is no easier diet, if you stick to Vanilla No S and don't add extra rules. Looking back, I may have lost more weight if I had switched back to No S after the contest. If I average at least 1/2 lb a week, I'll stick to No S until next year's contest.

Urban Ranger

Post by Urban Ranger » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Hello! It has been such a long time since I last here. I did a fabulous job last time and got to my goal weight and was happy there a long time. I'm not sure what happened but . . . well, something happened. I'm back to establish good habits again.

My goals for July: No S with the wholesome mod, if you can call it a mod.

July 4th: S Day! :D
5--
6--
7--
8--
9--
10--
11--
12--
13--
14--
15--
16--
17--
18--
19--
20--
21--
22--
23--
24--
25--
26--
27--
28--
29--
30--
31--

elainewh

Return to no S

Post by elainewh » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Hello! I followed no S successfully a couple years ago, but abandoned it and regained the weight. My goals for July are vanilla no S and 5 days of exercise a week. I'm using the HabitCal colors: ':)" for exempt (S) days, ':mrgreen:' for success, and ":oops:" for failure.

-------------No S / exercise------------

Sun 07/08: ':)' / ':mrgreen:'
Mon 07/09: ':mrgreen:' / ':mrgreen:'
Tue 07/10: ':oops:' / ':mrgreen:' Unthinkingly ate a handful of peanuts while I was fixing dinner.
Wed 07/11: ':mrgreen:' / ':mrgreen:'
Thu 07/12: ':mrgreen:' / ':mrgreen:'
Fri 07/13: ':oops:' / ':)' Ate free samples of hummus and pita chips along with my large lunch. I did stop myself from browsing the kitchen after dinner, though!
Sat 07/14: ':)' / ':mrgreen:'
Sun 07/15: ':)' / ':)'
Mon 07/16: ':oops:' / ':mrgreen:'
Tue 07/17: ':mrgreen:' / ':mrgreen:'
Wed 07/18: ':mrgreen:' / ':)'
Thu 07/19: ':mrgreen:' / ':mrgreen:'
Fri 07/20: ':mrgreen:' / ':mrgreen:'
Sat 07/21: ':)' / ':mrgreen:' No S got easier this week. I used to get a snack for a break mid-afternoon, so I tried replaced it with a walk around the block. Now I can tell the difference between "needing" a snack and needing a break.
Sun 07/22: ':)' / ':mrgreen:'
Mon 07/23: ':mrgreen:' / ':)'
Tue 07/24: ':oops:' / ':mrgreen:' "That's not enough cheese to save," I told myself as I was cleaning up the kitchen.
Wed 07/25: ':mrgreen:' / ':mrgreen:'
Thu 07/26: ':mrgreen:' / ':mrgreen:'
Fri 07/27: ':mrgreen:' / ':mrgreen:'
Sat 07/28: ':)' / ':mrgreen:'
Sun 07/29: ':)' / ':)'
Mon 07/30: ':mrgreen:' / ':)'
Tue 07/31: ':mrgreen:' / ':mrgreen:'

Could be better, but not so bad!
Last edited by elainewh on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:57 am, edited 19 times in total.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:09 am

I'm struggling.....arrrrrgh!!! Gonna jump in late here. I don't think you'll mind. :wink: I really need this accountablity right now! My goal is 21 days straight of Vanilla NoS. Ready, Set, GO! :arrow:

July 10 Day 1: :mrgreen: Went on a 1 hour bike ride
July 11 Day 2: :mrgreen: Went on a 1 hour bike ride
July 12 Day 3: :mrgreen:
JUly 13 Day 4: :mrgreen:
July 14 Day 5: S Day :D
July 15 Day 6: S Day :D
July 16 Day 7: :mrgreen:
July 17 Day 8: :mrgreen:
July 18 Day 9: :mrgreen: Whew! Had to fight for that one, but I DID IT!
July 19 Day 10: :mrgreen:
July 20 Day 11: RED BOO! Decided half way through my plate that I hadn't filled it enough. :roll: Will begin my 21 days over on Monday.
July 21: S Day :D
July 22: S Day :D
July 23 Day 1: :mrgreen:
July 24 Day 2: :mrgreen:
July 25 Day 3: :mrgreen:
Last edited by ZippaDee on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:53 am, edited 9 times in total.
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:08 pm

The more the merrier!
I'm seeing a lot of success floating around here! Keep it up everyone!
Please pray for me

Paula Wylma

This week is the toughest

Post by Paula Wylma » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:41 am

Hi Guys, I hope everyone is doing well in everything. As you know from my original post this is my first month back on No S after being away for two years. As I figures the mid-week holiday made July a great time to restart No S and I got with my second week even though Thursday was my day off work.

This week has been hard though. Even though I haven't been hungry I get urges to snack, especially at night. Not strong urges and no cravings just yearning, kind of. So, today is Wednesday, so I have only 3 days to go until the weekend.

I have also gained two pounds, which I am not worried about yet. When starting No S I went from lunch size plates to dinner size to give myself the best chance of establishing good habits. I keep telling myself the habit is the important thing. I will concentrate on the habits and move to smaller plates after the habits are established.

Too solid flesh

Re: This week is the toughest

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Paula Wylma wrote:I keep telling myself the habit is the important thing. I will concentrate on the habits and move to smaller plates after the habits are established.
That makes good sense. I hope that things get easier soon.

tobiasmom

July Challenge

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:57 pm

Im starting mid-month. Just got back from vacation. Better late than never! My goal is vanilla.

7.19: FAILURE (2.5 cookies)
7.20: FAILURE
7.21: S DAY
7.22: S DAY
7.23: SUCCESS
7.24: FAILURE (slice of cake at a Bday party...unplanned!)
7.25: FAILURE
7.26: FAILURE (soda)
7.27: SUCCESS (YAY!)
7.28: S DAY
7.29: S DAY
7.30: SUCCESS
Last edited by tobiasmom on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Paula Wylma

Today is the 21st!

Post by Paula Wylma » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:38 am

Hi all,
For those of us who started this challenge on July 1st, today is the 21st day. So far, I have made it through with no red days--despite a few temptations. Not everyone has been posting regularly, so I am wondering how many of you have also achieved the 21 day habit level.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Snapdragon ~ you were off to a good start...

MJ7910 ~ sorry about your pooch. Doin' great considering everything

Toosolid ~ pretty good!

Jocelyn ~ how ya doin'?

Oolala ~ keep counting plates!

jenp ~ great work esp. on the weekends!

Jan ~ I'm impressed as usual

Over 43 ~ miss ya

Sarahkay ~ you too

Paula ~ yea, you met your goal! Lets see if the rest of us meet ours... :wink:

NoSnacker ~ you can do it!!

Amy ~ I'm scared of heights so please tell me you made it!

loligoss ~ just a couple tiny tiny reds...

Jennifer ~ looks like you slammed on the breaks and got on the right road. Keep going :arrow:

Urban ~ how are you doing?

elaine ~ mostly green!

Zippadee ~ only one oopsy... keep going!!

tobiasmom ~ good comeback!

Did I skip anyone?

Keep going everyone! Only 8 days left!
Please pray for me

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:16 pm

How thoughtful of you to take the time to encourage everyone individually, reneew. Thank you.

And you are on course to meet your own goal, and have made a great start to this fresh week.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:51 am

I don't know why I resist using the Habitcal. Perhaps I'm afraid it would actually work and I'd have to totally give up my extra food and the freedom to make a random decision to eat? I didn't say I would use it, but I'm gearing up to that for August. I also hope to finish July strong. I updated my post above, but the news isn't particularly good. However, clothes are fitting. No official weighing until the autumnal equinox.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:17 pm

This can kind of be like a public habitcal. I color it that way.

I'm starting up a challenge for August. Hope to see you guys there! There were 19 of us this month. I imagine how many that is if we were all standing in my computer room! Wow! Accountability!
Please pray for me