Post-Workout Replenishment?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruamgirl

Post-Workout Replenishment?

Post by Ruamgirl » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:18 am

I've read recently that after working out, it's necessary to consume food and/or drink to help muscles rebuild. Does that mean that a person should eat one of the three allotted meals after a workout, or is there another way to meet this requirement?
So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable. -- Christopher Reeve

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:25 am

I'd say, No, it doesn't. That's kind of a myth, not a "requirement." You could time your workouts to just before meals if you want--but in the old days, people did physical labor all day but still only ate when it was mealtime.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:31 pm

From what I've read, the only time you need to do that is if you are working out strenuously for more than an hour. And even then you could get by with a drink such as chocolate milk or protein drink or sports drink.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:25 pm

JayEll wrote:I'd say, No, it doesn't. That's kind of a myth, not a "requirement." You could time your workouts to just before meals if you want--but in the old days, people did physical labor all day but still only ate when it was mealtime.
I agree.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Jethro

Post workout drink

Post by Jethro » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:46 pm

I've read where some pundits declared that you should wait at least three hours after your workout before eating because your fasted state will promote creation of fat burning growth hormone.

There is always a million contradictory studies that claim to prove the ultimate truth. In reality, nobody really has the ultimate truth. When I was in high school, one year I had physical education the first class after lunch and, contrary to studies, neither I or any or my classmates suffered any harmful effects.

I think it is more important to maintain your eating schedule to create unconscious habit rather than eating around your workout.

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Thank you, everyone, for the advice! There really is lots of contradictory information out there. It's tough to figure out what's legit and what's not.
So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable. -- Christopher Reeve

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:35 am

No S and the workout recommendations are not meant to be the foundation for losing the most weight possible or building the most muscle possible, etc. It's all a way just to incorporate reasonable habits of moderate eating and fitness. It's optimum is in its sustainability.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:53 am

oolala53 wrote:No S and the workout recommendations are not meant to be the foundation for losing the most weight possible or building the most muscle possible, etc. It's all a way just to incorporate reasonable habits of moderate eating and fitness. It's optimum is in its sustainability.
This. The milliscrunch tweaking that world class body type competitors, or world-class athletes need have almost nothing to do with the needs of a non-athlete going about his or her day.

You're not training for the Olympics and you're not a figure competitor, I'm guessing.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:22 am

@ Oolala53: You're right. I guess I'm putting the cart way before the horse.

@ NoelFigart: I totally am. Look for me in the upcoming Olympics. ;-) I'm just kidding. I'm no athlete, though I would like to be toned. I have the upper body strength of a kitten.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:05 pm

ruamgirl wrote:@ NoelFigart: I totally am. Look for me in the upcoming Olympics. ;-) I'm just kidding. I'm no athlete, though I would like to be toned. I have the upper body strength of a kitten.
TONED? TONED????

*runs around in a circle beating her head with her palms before curling into a ball sucking her thumb and whimpering*

(Being facetious. Honest.)

I get what you mean, mind. But "toned" is a myth. Either you're putting on muscle or you're not.

If you haven't tried Shovelglove, I gotta recommend it for putting on upper body strength.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:16 pm

"I get what you mean, mind. But "toned" is a myth. Either you're putting on muscle or you're not. "

Exactly! To look toned you just need to lose weight for the muscle to show. Not too much though. You don't want to look like a concentration camp survivor.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:22 pm

You need to lose FAT for the muscle to show.

Once again, do the basics for a month or so. Then re-evaluate.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:10 pm

*hangs head in shame* It seems like everything I say on here is seriously dumb. Sorry, everyone.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:38 pm

ruamgirl wrote:*hangs head in shame* It seems like everything I say on here is seriously dumb. Sorry, everyone.
You're not being stupid. Honest. I meant to be absurd and silly; and I am very sorry that I hurt your feelings. I hope you'll forgive me.
------

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:34 pm

NoelFigart wrote:
ruamgirl wrote:*hangs head in shame* It seems like everything I say on here is seriously dumb. Sorry, everyone.
You're not being stupid. Honest. I meant to be absurd and silly; and I am very sorry that I hurt your feelings. I hope you'll forgive me.
You didn't hurt my feelings at all. I just felt like a moron. No forgiveness necessary. :-)