Visit to the Doc

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruamgirl

Visit to the Doc

Post by Ruamgirl » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:44 am

So I went to the doctor for a physical today, and he told me I need to lose weight, which I already know. But, he told me to eat 4 to 6 small meals a day. So I asked why I couldn't just eat three balanced moderate meals a day, and he said that was fine as long as I had a snack at some point. Sigh. He added a bunch of other stuff too about avoiding fried foods, simple carbs, sweets, sodas, etc. Has anybody else had a medical professional tell them to do the frequent small meals thing? Does anybody eat more than 3 meals a day?
So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable. -- Christopher Reeve

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:51 am

Are you being treated for diabetes?
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:57 am

NoelFigart wrote:Are you being treated for diabetes?
Nope, no diabetes. Although I do have high triglycerides, high cholesterol, and borderline high blood pressure.
So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable. -- Christopher Reeve

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:59 am

There are people here who eat four meals a day for various reasons. If you read the book or just dig into the website, you will see there is wiggle room to allow this.

Since I don't know your doctor or his training or your medical history,I am hesitant to suggest you defy doctor's orders - I am not a doctor nor do I play one on the internet. I suggest virtual plating your snack. You put the snack on your plate at lunch and then save it for later. So technically, you are still consuming only three plates worth of food.

Of course, I think a 3PM glass of milk or protein powder drink (my preference, I don't like milk) could qualify as a snack.

One other thought - it might be so rare for people to eat only three meals anymore that he thinks it can't be done or just can't be good for you. It's been a while since I checked the research but the last time I did there wasn't a heck of a lot out there about eating three moderately sized meals and no more most days of the week.

Paula Wylma

More than 3 meals a day

Post by Paula Wylma » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:26 pm

If your doctor didn't tell you why you need to eat 4 to 6 meals a day, then maybe you need to ask. If your doctor was just repeating the current dieting dogma, then I like the idea of calling an afternoon glass of milk (or other unsweetened beverage) a snack. It's no s and your doctor would probably approve as well. No S is the only diet I have been on that my doctor approved of.--because it doesn't limit any one food group.

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Thank you for the advice, everyone. When I suggested three meals instead of 4-6, he told me that was fine as long as the meals weren't big and I ate a snack to make sure I wasn't ravenous. I guess that's going back to the whole idea that if you wait too long to eat, you tend to overeat at your next meal. But I feel that No S controls for that, since you're limited to one plate and no sweets. Thoughts?

One more question, I'm not a big fan of milk. Does anyone have any alternative drink suggestions? I do like almond milk and soy milk.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:55 pm

I've always had milk because it's been shown to satisfy the same way solid foods do. I think it's because of the protein to carb ratio. It never made sense to me to drink fruit juices since they are all sugar, plus some righteous vitamins and such. I just knew with my sweet tooth, they wouldn't help me. I don't think other "milks" have the same ratio. But people have different reactions. Try them out. The point is to find something that quells hunger, IF YOU HAVE IT, and doesn't make you want more. Without chewing.

Check with the doctor and see if it's okay to not snack if you're not hungry. Let him know you don't intend to get ravenous and overeat. Ask him if going 5 hours is okay and arrange your meals so you don't go longer. Then abide by what he says.

I don't know if your S days are wild, but this will give you incentive to tame them. If I had a doctor tell me not to have certain foods, I'd follow that advice at least until my numbers came up better, unless I was willing to consult another professional. Being relaxed on S days is only for those who aren't really in jeopardy. Take care! Real health concerns trump anything else, IMHO.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:43 pm

I've never liked milk as a beverage. I think I drank my last glass when I was in kindergarten, and that wasn't willingly! I'm of retirement age now.

Contrary to what the American Dairy Association says, there's absolutely no need to drink milk. I usually drink water, tea or coffee at meals, (iced in the summer) and occasionally wine. I use milk on cereal or as an ingredient. I also rarely drink juice; I don't drink my calories.

Also, doctors learn just about all they know about diet and nutrition from dietitians, whose education is often largely subsidized by the food industry which promotes snacking. Or they learn from the popular media just like the rest of us. With the exception of my cardiologist, who told me to avoid processed foods, I don't pay much attention to what any of them have to say.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:52 pm

Nobody wants to say "Don't do what your doctor told you.", but MD's often don't have a lot of nutrition training in thier programs. Would you be open to getting a "second opinion"? or talk to another health care professional? It is risky taking advice from people off the internet, but I'd want a little more rationale before taking that particular piece of advice from a Dr.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:51 am

Wosnes,

As someone that is about 9 months away from becoming a registered dietitian, I have to respectfully disagree with your statement about dietitians being funded by an industry that promotes snacking.

Dietitians complete a 4-year degree in Nutritional Science, which is largely based on the scientific principles behind the human metabolism and the way the body derives energy from carbohydrates, fat, and protein. The money for this education comes from the same place that every other college student gets money for their education: our pockets, or if we're lucky, financial aid. A public university might get subsidies, though I don't think they are from the industries you're speaking of.

After graduation, students must apply for, and be admitted to, a 9-month externship that is very, very competitive (I had to apply twice before being accepted). Again, this externship must be paid for and is geared toward training people with nutrition degrees to practice dietetics in real-life settings (hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc.) After completing the program, students must prepare for, take, and pass the registration exam for registered dietitians. Then, and only then, are you permitted to use the credential RD.

As far as our code of ethics, registered dietitians are encouraged, but not required, to promote the evidence-based principles set forth by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The Academy, coupled with the USDA, promotes the consumption of FOOD GROUPS in amounts that are based on individual needs. If snacking helps an individual get a variety of healthy choices from each group in order to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle, then so be it. If it is easier for an individual to meet these needs through 3 meals per day, that's fine too. While it may seem like many RDs are "food/health nazis", most are well aware that different things work for different people.

I read much of what you say on these boards, and think that you are one of the most helpful contributors. I know there are a lot of misconceptions about nutritionists/dietitians/doctors and their training, so let it be known that dietitians and doctors disagree A LOT, and doctors can be very closed-minded toward RDs because we don't have 8 years of medical school under our belt, so we can't possibly know what we're talking about (though trust me, sometimes I feel like I'm training to become a doctor).

Not trying to sound preachy at all, but saw an opportunity to clear up a misconception that I've heard over and over again, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to shed some light.

Cheers All!

Jocelyn

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:51 pm

In defense of Wosnes I have to say that it's difficult to take dietitians' advice seriously when we see the The American Dietetic Association has sponsors, such as The Coca Cola Company, Mars Incorporated (chocolates), Pepsico, General Mills, Kellogg's.

The ADA that supposedly exists to guide the public, by means of its registered dietitians, towards a better and more proper nutrition -- presumably leading to lean, attractive, and healthy bodies is in the pay of the world's leading companies promoting and profiting from obesity and ill-health via cheap sugar and highly efficient processing of "food." Do you think these companies are paying the ADA to dis sugar-water drinks and other sources of carbohydrate overload?

And if not, how kindly is the ADA going to take to having its affiliated dietitians and nutritionists contradicting ADA guidelines and policy? How could ADA guidelines and policy possibly be contradictory to the interests of the ones paying the bills? So does it not follow that if those same companies paying the bills have interests in conflict with your interests of lean attractive health, that it's an antagonism between you and the ADA and their dietitians; and who do you think its going to win out on that one? This is why the whole world of conventional "wisdom" nutrition and dietetics is like the McDonald's chain, because the advice is exactly the same worldwide, even coming out of Amman, Jordan.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:37 am

I'd appreciate it if you'd stop mapping healthy to attractive, please. I'm not and never will be good looking, no matter how skinny I get.

The idea that health is impossible because I am not attractive is nonsense.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:24 pm

NoelFigart wrote:I'd appreciate it if you'd stop mapping healthy to attractive, please. I'm not and never will be good looking, no matter how skinny I get.

The idea that health is impossible because I am not attractive is nonsense.
Lady, please re-read my post. I clearly indicated that it is the ADA, NOT I, who promotes mapping healthy to attractive!

Future baseless false accusations and gratuitous personal attacks will meet an appropriate response!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:48 pm

I don't want to tell you that your doctor is wrong or just following a current trend, but if I ate 4-6 times a day, I'd be fatter! I guess it depends how you handle food. I can't control myself very well, so opening that door 6 times a day would be a disaster for me anyway. I think that thin doctors just don't get it, period! There are so so many "experts" out there, and most have conflicting advice.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:12 am

I happen to be healthy, attractive, and overweight. heh! And, I agree that healthy does not have to equal attractive. Jethro, the way you phrased it, it sounded like you said the poster's goal was lean attractive health, not that that is an ADA goal. Simple misunderstanding.

Once you get into 4 to 6 meals a day, it's really necessary to start quantifying those meals in some way. Nothing wrong with it if that's what you want to do. No-S just avoids the issue by using the 1-plate guideline.

The main thing, I think, is how do you feel when you are doing No-S? Do you get dizzy and faint before the next meal? If so, then you may need to consider an approach more like what the doc said. If not, then it's probably fine.

TUK

Post by TUK » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:00 pm

To answer the original question of the post : When I do NoS, I have 3 meals a day. When I don't do NoS (and put on weight) I have 3 meals + sweet snacks, and occasional binges.

When committing to NoS, you get to choose the number of your meals, with a strong preference and recommendation for the cultural heritage. (Which is 3 or 4, depending on your culture) You get to limit your plate-size accordingly.

It is a choice to make and stick to it.

Your doctor, according to what you are saying, is probably trying to make you snack to PREVENT hunger so you don't binge.

The most important thing NoS asks (according to me) is that you choose a structure for your meals, and stick to it.

3 is OK for me. My wife has a tendency to have dinner ready for 9pm, so sometimes, I just eat separately at 7pm. When I'm not so hungry, I can wait.

I don't know about how your life is structured. Maybe you should try with 3 meals first, for 3 weeks. Try to chose a decent time for each of your meals, so that they're not too spaced, and don't leave too much room for evening snacking.

NoS is a good structure. What I'd advise: YOU take responsibility for losing your excess weight, and choose 3 meals, instead of your doctor taking NO responsibility for your binges by advising you to snack. If you have no medical reason not to stick to 3 meals, it is probably safe.

heatherhikes

Visit to the Doc

Post by heatherhikes » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:48 am

Ruamgirl, I like a certain carob drink that I mix with milk (almond/soy milk) and pure carob powder from the health food store. In the States you probably can get the powder in a grocery store. The drink has a natural sweet taste, but some people may like their drinks sweeter and want to add sugar etc.
Actually, carob pwdr. is also used as a sweetener.
When one starts using carob, (just in case you haven´t tried it) it is helpful not to compare it with the taste of cocoa powder or chocolate. The carob bean holds its own as a food item.

I also like it because it´s high in calcium and iron, and it is real filling and satisfying, to me at least.

Besides the drink I also like water, herb tea, broth and juice mixed with water/mineral water.

There´s nothing saner than No-S
Greenest wishes :wink:
Heddi

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:43 pm

I agree with the avoiding fried items. Last Spring I was cruising on 3 meals a day, but three days a week I was downing onion rings, fried chicken tenders, etc. I noticed some weight gain during that period.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:49 pm

So sorry that I haven't responded in a while! I'm back in school now, and I've been swamped with work.

I've decided to stick with No S and just try to make healthier choices at meals. Since I went back to school, however, it's been hard to eat at regular times. Still working on that. :-) I greatly appreciate all the advice and encouragement. You are all wonderful. Thank you so much for so patiently answering all my questions.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Good luck with school! I'm returning to teaching on Monday.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)