Infomercials are insane

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Paula Wylma

Infomercials are insane

Post by Paula Wylma » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:02 am

I am wasting Sunday morning surfing the Internet and watching infomercials. Insanity was followed by tummy tuck--apparently a waist band that can magically melt fat without diet or exercise (yeah, right). Anyway, I think it is funny that a no exercise gadget follows the ad for an extreme exercise program. It's like society is telling us that you either have to kill yourself working out or just spend lots of money on a gadget that will do it for you! My question is: Where is the balance and the happy medium?

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:04 pm

Balance and Happy Medium = No S.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

heatherhikes

Infomercials are insane

Post by heatherhikes » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:05 am

Hi Paula, hi Jan,

I totally agree. That's why I, after more than 40 years of dieting and frustration, finally feel like "coming home" with Reinhard's moderate way of eating and exercising. Personally I call it "from insanity and back."

I LOVE No-S.
It hasn't always been easy, moderation often isn't. But eating this way, or attempting to, heals my body and soul little by little, if I may say so, from this unhealthy relationship to food.

Last year I was quite successful from June to October and lost about 6 kilos. Then I developed stomach problems and was on a restrictive diet, eating 5 small meals a day (This had nothing to do with No-S).
After regaining my health (and losing unintentionally 11 kilos) it has been hard for me to be fully committed.

So, with this post I am officially back, y' all.
By the way, this is my first posting, but have been reading the posts since last year and also have Reinhard's book.

Glad to be part of this super-supportive community
Heddi

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Only Sunday morning? Oh, the hours I've spent. Yet, I think they have helped me be compliant. I haven't succumbed to spending any money on the offers and they often make me more committed to moderation rather than being a freak for a period of time and then wishing I could get back to some ultra fit stance. But there are probably better ways to spend my time.

The happy medium is not on TV. Not enough drama in it!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:43 am

Possibly the first, and classic infomercial was the Soloflex comercials that came out in the mid 80's. They were well done and classy. If you have the time go to youtube and hunt down these infomercials. Sometimes progress isn't such a good thing.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Insanity is insane! Ha Ha Ha!

As a veteran of fitness/diet plans, let me tell you there is nothing magic about insanity or any other system.

They even tell you in the infomercial - in small letters - that "results are not typical" when they show successful subjects.

In reality the weight loss, at least 80% of it, is due to their eating plan, not their exercise routine.

Besides, who would want to engage in a strenuous 40 minute exercise routine for the rest of her life?
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental