Need Encouragement!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

megan

Need Encouragement!

Post by megan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:12 pm

I began the NoS diet at the end of last year and felt happier and slimmer almost immediately, but the best thing was how proud of myself I felt.

Unfortunately, after a few months, I somehow slipped out of my good habits and began to snack mindlessly. I quickly put the weight back on. I've started a stressful job and I know I am finding comfort in food.

Although I realise that not snacking is the only solution for me, somehow it seems daunting to begin again- since April I have barely had any green days, I keep starting half heartedly and unsuccessfully.

I really want to NoS again because I loved the consistency and sociability of the diet. Green days are the only time I don't feel guilty about how much I eat so I can't understand what is stopping me!

I've just joined the forum in the hope that anyone has experienced anything similar- do you have any tips for persevering??

Thanks,
Megan

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Go get it Megan. Set a goal. I always do better if I am heading somewhere sunny and swim trunks are required. (Am I vain?). Pick an event and shoot for that, after that, pick another reason to go No S.

Keep it up!
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

megan

Post by megan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:05 pm

That's great advice! In fact I was a bridesmaid in April and since then my willpower seems to have subsided so I think you are right, I need a new goal...

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:12 pm

I have times when I am completely compliant and times when I'm ... less compliant.

I believe part of the reason you are struggling is that your self control is being consumed by the new stressful job. In short, we have only limited amount of self control and it does get consumed by stress - by not lashing out or kicking the dog or crying in the workplace. Rest can restore our reserves so make sure you are getting enough of that.

A while back I summarized the book The Future of Willpower: More Gain Less Strain (http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... ht=#116439) There may be some tips to help you feel like you can back on track.
Last edited by Blithe Morning on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Actually, with all due respect to previous posters, the fact that there is often a decrease in compliance after restricting for an event to me is proof that having that kind of goal beyond just plain old long-term moderation is reason not to use them as motivators. Frequently remembering how good you felt when eating sanely is a good balancer, esp. AT THE MOMENT OF TEMPTATION, not after you've given in.

Are you using the habitcal? Do not underestimate the value of simple records. Reinhard did not come to these recommendations lightly. His insights keep being reinforced by habit theory time and again. The quote of Einstein's at the beginning of the book bodes well: "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Maybe this will be all you need.

Barring that, have you made a list of reasons you want to adhere to No S? Judith Beck recommends that as the first thing, and reviewing the list multiple times a day for as long as it takes to get routine about eating compliance. This can be weeks or months. This helped and helps me a lot, when I do it. It sounds to me like Reinhard had already done that mentally. He had reached a point at which he could no longer tolerate the image of himself as an immoderate in eating. Some of us need more concrete reminders.

Are you browsing the threads here? Testimonials? No S phrases? There is a ton of support from the past as well as the future.

In the interest of simplicity, I'll stop here. You'll get other suggestions, too. Pick and choose! See Einstein's quote again above.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

megan

Post by megan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks Over43, Blithe Morning and Oolala53, your points are really helpful. Since posting on here for the first time, and receiving your support, I have had two of the most satisfying vanilla days yet!
Thank you so much
Megan

Andie

Post by Andie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:24 pm

I know you you feel Megan, I've also been struggling with maintaining my S-Day habits since I went back to work last December after being on maternity leave for a year. I also have a stressfull job. I've had a regain of about 9 pounds, but am slowly losing it again. Don't stop trying. Do you feel less stressed when you go off no s? For me, I find it increases my stress in a couple of ways. I feel guilty about going off my plan, out of control, and my body feels worse because I'm not feeding it properly.

Don't give up, and come here for support!
Back after a long hiatus.

megan

Post by megan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi Andie, Yes I feel exactly the same as you do when I start snacking at work, it just makes me feel worse. It's great to know others struggle too - but you have done so well!

noni

Post by noni » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Megan, This is my second serious go at No S as well. ( I had a couple of false starts , too). These boards encourage me, the podcasts, and rereading the book or the website basics.

I also made a pro and con list about losing weight/gaining sanity with No S. The pros on my list were long and very few items were pure vanity. Things like just getting up off the floor or up from a lounge chair with ease without my kids giving me a boost were near the top of my pro list. And I can always find something to add as I go along.

I refer to the list when the "negahead" starts.

I might add that my con list was very short and pathetic sounding :?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:57 pm

I'd like to hear those cons. :twisted: I love to find that I'm not alone in my pathos.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:19 pm

oolala, my cons include: I can hide out in any room at any time and eat anything to my hearts content with no one trying to take it from me. (greed)

I like to bake and need to wait for the weekend to do it.

My youngest son says he like me soft and chubby; I'm cozy.

I don't have to make excuses to family or friends why I can't have a piece of their homemade cake on a No S day (this was a frustration last time I started No S and was partly the downfall, so now I will allow one or two small bites and I still keep it green when the situation comes up. It hasn't since June 1st.)

Most of my wardrobe is the type of clothes I can wear at any size, so who cares. My blubbler is covered.

My husband doesn't care if I'm overweight so why should I?

That's my con list. The one that I thought would give me the most trouble is not baking desserts for my family during the week as I have four men/boys still home. Surprisingly, they were good with it as long as I kept cookies and ice cream in the house.

When I gain weight, the first thing that blows up is my rear end. So, one of my important pro's was... no one will accidentally bang into rear and need to profusely apologize.
:oops:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:36 pm

I used to have that problem of having my skirt sweep papers off student desks in tight spaces. And not the hem of it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23