No Caffeine

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

No Caffeine

Post by Over43 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:19 pm

I never thought I would say this, but I have "been off" caffeine for the summer. I have had maybe a Mt. Dew and 3 Cokes, for me though, it is monumental. I am starting to sleep, my Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, which was supposed to only be treated with Repinirole (sp) has stopped (that is incredibely nice), and even though I am not sleeping as much as I might, when I do sleep I do feel rested.

I didn't think this would be possible, but it has been great. 8)
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:34 pm

That's a great idea. I've been contemplating it and it's good to hear that it was beneficial for you. Might do this the next set of 21 Days!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:57 pm

I have noticed I have also had less desire to drink pop overall. I still have an occassional caffeine free Coke, or a Fanta Orange, but nothing like the 44 oz. I was chugging in the past.

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:41 pm

You're the man.

I love my morning coffee. I suspect that someday I will have to give it up. But not any time soon.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:51 am

I am all for the morning coffee as well Blithe Morning but I rarely have caffeine after 8 or 9 am. I see others who can tolerate it all day and still sleep but not me!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:14 pm

Good for you!

I too feel much better when I'm off the coffee, I replaced my morning coffee with cocoa or green tea and find my energy levels are much better throughout the day and I don't seem to get so irritable/anxious about things!

I do still like coffee occasionally though but I just try not to have it every day.

BTW I make cocoa in a similar way to coffee, with 1 tsp cocoa powder, hot water, some milk and a dash of honey for sweetness, it's like dark chocolate in drink form :)

heatherhikes

No Caffeine

Post by heatherhikes » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:44 pm

Over43, more power to ya! :D
We reap and we sow...I hope you’ll continue with this nearly caffeine free lifestyle beyond summer, now that you’ve come so far.
bonnieUK wrote: I too feel much better when I'm off the coffee, I replaced my morning coffee with cocoa or green tea and find my energy levels are much better throughout the day and I don't seem to get so irritable/anxious about things!

I do still like coffee occasionally though but I just try not to have it every day.

BTW I make cocoa in a similar way to coffee, with 1 tsp cocoa powder, hot water, some milk and a dash of honey for sweetness, it's like dark chocolate in drink form...
I agree with Bonnie, have replaced my coffee with green tea, hot chocolate/cold carob drink and feel much better: More energy, less irritable, stronger nerves and concentration, better sleep, improved blood sugar levels.
Besides, if I drink 1-2 caffeinated sodas in the late afternoon or evening (on S-days) I often have problems sleeping.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:53 am

I'm down to every-other-day :D
For me that's a huge success. No soda on N days but coffee only every other day.
I don't think I'll need coffee on S days when I'm allowed all these other treats so I'll try every other N day and none on S days from now on.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

TUK

Post by TUK » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Congratulations, eschano, Over43! (et al.) It's a great achievement!

On January 2nd this year, I decided to quit coffee. The resulting headache made it a no-go on the 3rd of January. Ever since, I have drunk less than 3 cups of coffee a day. (One at breakfast and two social coffees with coworkers) But I am an avid diet coke drinker (like about two big glasses a day), so it might help with resisting the dependence. I don't yet have a clear vision of what I want to achieve with regards to caffeine, but when I do, I may go on a crusade against caffeine consumption.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:09 pm

I just can't bring myself to quit coffee. If it's true and I really do gain energy it would be worth it. I'm just not there yet.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 pm

snapdragon wrote:I just can't bring myself to quit coffee. If it's true and I really do gain energy it would be worth it. I'm just not there yet.
I'm not there either and I don't want to quit it. Actually, except for reading about the negative effects in the media, it's never been suggested to me for any reason. And, there are also positive effects . So, I'm sticking with it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

tobiasmom

Coffee

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:03 am

Im off caffeine completely....but only cuz I'm pregnant! Enjoy your coffee, All! I sure do miss it!

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:53 am

I have been off caffeine, too, for more than 3 months. I only have it in chocolate :D

I have more energy, and I don't need as much sleep as I did before. I am generaly calmer. I am sure that there are more benefits - like improved blood calcium levels ( my nails are not as brittle as before). I also enjoy the fact that I am not dependant on caffeine.

What I like about this change the most, is that I was able to change my thinking overnight. I was claiming that I coudn't live without coffee. And than I followed the sudden inspiration to try. Your thoughts are just thoughts. They are not necessarily true. Don't beleive them ( especially when they are limiting).

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:50 am

freegirl wrote:I also enjoy the fact that I am not dependant on caffeine.
I quit caffeine while I was pregnant. This ^ is the reason I haven't gone back. I like not "needing" my morning coffee. I still have the occasional espresso after a nice meal, but that is once a month or so.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:31 am

Upon the begging of my colleagues I went back to drinking caffeine on all N days. Not on S days. Apparently, I'm in a much better mood (and as I drink it before I get to the office it took them some time to discover the connection). Alas, focusing on No S, my TV glass ceiling, and stretching for now. Maybe the 8th week is a bit early to give up most vices at once.

For all of you who do manage: You can be really proud of yourself!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:56 am

"Maybe the eighth week is a bit early to give up most vices at once."
I agree. In the past I always failed at permanent change in food and exercise habits because of expecting too much change all at once.

I have learned to accept moderation versus abstinence as the key for me. I restrict caffeine to my one mug of regular coffee each morning. My mug holds about 2 normal cups. I restrict myself to two beers when I drink. I have chips sometimes but no longer eat them straight from the bag. They have to fit on my plate. And so on....

I have gradually decreased food intake and increased exercise. I have lapses when I do not do as well and other times when I do great, but I rarely go crazy.. It is nice to feel like I have a more normal relationship with food (and beverages).
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:57 am

Thanks Jean for your kind reply. It's good to know this is an option. I only have one latte in the morning on N days now but will stick with it until further on.
I had to laugh when my colleagues compared me to a dragon that changes into a princess with one latte. Embarrassing but also funny :lol:
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:47 pm

I've quit coffee before (regualar and decaf). I've just done decaf and I've just done regular. Most recently when my weight started to climb... I've regrouped, got back on No S proper and quit all coffee. I have endured a few headaches as I am still just quitting since Sunday (oh, just 4 days now), but if I can handle not being caffeinated...I'm going to try. I just don't like being so reliant on it.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Congratulations Olivia! By the way, I like the quote in your signature.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:11 am

My own caffeine free update: The last two evenings (Weds & Thurs) I slept 8 and 6 hours respectively. This may not seem much for some, but for me, it is Rip van Winkle-ish. I do get occassionaly PLMD, however 800 mg of Motrin seems to keep that in line. (This isn't nightly either, once every few weeks.)

My anxiety level seems to have dropped, and I feel better not popping Lunesta or Ambien.

This may not be for everyone, but so far, no caffeine is working well for me.

O43