S days making me feel a bit ill?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

GraceW

S days making me feel a bit ill?

Post by GraceW » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:34 pm

I didn't overdo my S day today, but I did splurge on two slices of pizza (which I rarely have) and a small ice cream at lunch and now feel a bit ill. I've noticed this "ugh" feeling happens if I don't eat healthy foods now. I think this is a good problem to have, but does this mean I should cut back on the number of S days?

For dinner, I'm detoxing with a green smoothie. I hate this greasy, bloated feeling.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:51 pm

No, don't cut back on S days. Just choose your S's carefully. Do you have a problem with dairy?

Having said that, I find that if I avoid any food or food group for a period of time, I don't feel well, or at least as well as "normal," when I eat it.

I generally don't consider either pizza or ice cream to be unhealthy, though it depends somewhat on how they're made.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

GraceW

Post by GraceW » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Dairy creates problems when I overdo it, but small amounts are okay. The pizza hit me much more than the ice cream did. I felt this way last month when I had a few fried cheese curds too.

I like your suggestion to choose my S's more carefully instead cutting back on S days altogether. I want to make sure I enjoy those S's instead of feeling sick after them.

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:30 am

In my view, we are supposed to feel sick after eating food like that. It's just that our bodies adapt to it if we eat it all the time.

Don't give up S days. Just choose your foods more carefully. Go for quality foods instead of the "favorite" foods.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:38 am

JayEll wrote:In my view, we are supposed to feel sick after eating food like that. It's just that our bodies adapt to it if we eat it all the time.

Don't give up S days. Just choose your foods more carefully. Go for quality foods instead of the "favorite" foods.
I couldn't disagree more! What pleasure is there in feeling sick after having a treat? I do think that treat foods should be made from quality ingredients, though. Treats should be quality foods, just not consumed on a daily basis.

I think part of the problem here in the US is that we've become accustomed to eating poor quality foods and treat foods are no exception.

In GraceW's case, I suspect it has more to do with some intolerance to dairy rather than the fact that she consumed treat foods.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:13 am

"I think part of the problem here in the US is that we've become accustomed to eating poor quality foods and treat foods are no exception."

Umm, I think that's what I was saying, wosnes, so why the big disagreement? The original poster probably didn't eat a gourmet version of pizza and high quality ice cream... So what I was saying was that it's not abnormal to feel sick after eating crappy foods. I didn't say we should feel sick after eating "treat" foods.

I am highly skeptical of milk intolerance as a cause, just because these days everyone thinks they have it. It depends on one's ancestry. Native Americans have a high incidence of lactose intolerance. Northern Europeans have a low incidence.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:23 am

I was disagreeing with the fact that we're supposed to feel sick after having treat foods.

Actually, given the quality of our foods, we should probably feel sick after eating any food. To add insult to injury, many of us get the cheapest food available instead of the best quality we can afford. We tend to go for quantity rather than quality.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:40 pm

wosnes wrote:I was disagreeing with the fact that we're supposed to feel sick after having treat foods.

Actually, given the quality of our foods, we should probably feel sick after eating any food. To add insult to injury, many of us get the cheapest food available instead of the best quality we can afford. We tend to go for quantity rather than quality.
I go for quantity over quality. I make less today than I did ten years ago (health care, the Tea Party, etc...). So I have to be more fiscally responsible when I shop. Plus, a kid in college and one on her way, I have to cut somewhere, and unfortunately food is where I do it.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:43 am

Sometimes I wish more foods would make me feel sick... but I wouldn't cut down on my S days. I'd just eat the ones that don't make me feel sick.

I have found, as others have, that rich foods make me feel more full now. I find I almost have to eat LESS food total (esp. in volume) on S days because sweets leave me without an appetite for much longer than on N days.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

GraceW

Post by GraceW » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:51 am

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies, everyone! I'll definitely focus on seeking better quality S foods. Funny, when I first tried No S last fall, my S days were wild. Now they're less so. You guys are right -- they do settle down eventually.