A Major Revelation in My Thinking

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nicole in MD

A Major Revelation in My Thinking

Post by Nicole in MD » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi all! I've been No Sing since Aug 10th and I wasn't going to get on the scale until next Friday but....when I woke up this morning, I looked fairly thin in the mirror (I have all kinds of signs I look for like how well I can see my collar bones and my cellulite LOL)--so I figured what the hell--I'll just get on and see where I am. Knowing full well that my biggest cheat was on Sunday which was just 2-3 days ago. Well, I was 175.2...up 2 lbs from early last week.

So you might think I freaked out and got upset--except I didn't--not at all. And I know why. Over the past week and half of doing No S, I have had a sense of calm and happiness about me that was definitely missing before. The last two nights I have made awesome dinners and all three of my boys have commented on how incredible they were. This made me feel beyond good since my boys are the center of my universe. These dinners weren't anything super special, but I did take time with choosing what to make and found real pleasure in eating them WITH the boys as opposed to eating my own food while serving them something else that I couldn't eat. I am finding myself looking forward to making dinner now and savoring my one plate...WITH the rest of my family.

After the past few weeks, I think I am really coming to the realization that I've been chasing some number on a scale that may not be attainable for myself (funny enough, I remember being 175 when I got pregnant with #3 after losing all my baby weight from baby #2). And when I really dig deep and ask myself why it's SO important to be a size 12 (which is pretty thin for my large boned body) instead of a healthy size 14, a lot of the answer has to do with trying to make my ex feel like he made a mistake by leaving me (btw--his fiance that he left me for is maybe 90lbs soaking wet! LOL). This is clearly not a good or healthy reason to make myself live a miserable, food-obsessed life!

So all this to say that I value my happiness WAY more than I value what the scale says or what size jeans I am wearing. This isn't to say that I'm going to let myself go or start eating crappy man-made food--I'm still just going to keep following No S and eat real food, made mostly by me and let my body settle where it's happy. I have also been walking outside every day for 30-40 minutes and I think that has made a difference in my outlook also. If I'm exercising and eating real, whole foods and I settle at 175, then so be it.

I'M OFFICIALLY DONE WITH DIETING!!!!!
Nicole in beautiful Annapolis, MD
Started No S 8/15- 173

TGIS

Post by TGIS » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:52 pm

8) 8) What a great post Nicole. It captures the essence of No S.
Pat

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Nicole, you rock.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Wonderful post, and how lovely to be able to enjoy family meals together.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:20 pm

On quoting Reinhard: “I don't think there is much point in having an ideal weight. Have ideal behavior -- habits of moderate eating and exertion. Whatever you weigh then is ideal.â€
Thank you for posting, Nicole. You have captured the spirit of NoS and made it your own much faster than some of us here. I believe this letting go of the diet mentality will help you much on your journey of habit-forming. I’ve been No-essing off and on for several months now and am still working on these things (over 40 years of dieting).
Congratulations on your newfound peace at family meal times.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Nicole don't worry about the ex. HE made the mistake.

With NOS you'll be the best you can ever be! :wink:
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

Nicole in MD

Post by Nicole in MD » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:33 pm

heddi55 wrote:On quoting Reinhard: “I don't think there is much point in having an ideal weight. Have ideal behavior -- habits of moderate eating and exertion. Whatever you weigh then is ideal.â€
Thank you for posting, Nicole. You have captured the spirit of NoS and made it your own much faster than some of us here. I believe this letting go of the diet mentality will help you much on your journey of habit-forming. I’ve been No-essing off and on for several months now and am still working on these things (over 40 years of dieting).
Congratulations on your newfound peace at family meal times.
Started No S 8/15- 173

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Nicole in MD wrote:WOW--that quote was a total "AH HA" moment for me! I think it's what I was trying to say in my long, rambling post but he said it so much more succinctly! Thanks for sharing it with me!
Nicole, I didn't perceive your post as rambling at all. It was refreshing and heartwarming to me how you shared a little of yourself and your family situation.
After less than 2 weeks with the plan you show signs of healing already - healing "diet head." Remarkable.
I believe your post has been an encouragement to many here. Don't hesitate to let us know how you're progressing.
_________
:) Heddi

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:12 am

Hi Nicole, your post definitley reminded me to focus on my habits, not my weight. I read Reinhard's wording before but it's so easy to lose track of it. I guess focusing on weight is another habit to replace. Especially coming from a deprivation-mentality.
Thanks a lot!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:16 am

What a breakthrough!

I think the misery suffered in the quest for a certain weight has been such a huge waste in these past 50 years, and not just for me. In fact, I always had a little voice inside me that said, I don't want to be a certain weight. I want to be content! (I couldn't imagine being content with gorging myself and overeating all the time, nor with watching every mouthful to be thin.)

How sane you sound not to be wishing to be a 6 or a 4 or a 2.

I confess I wouldn't mind weighing a little less but every time I think about what I might have to do to accomplish that, I think, Not yet. Not worth it.

Welcome!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)