October 9, 2012

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

john

October 9, 2012

Post by john » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:35 am

Well, I have returned to NOS again , I think for the fourth time. The continuing problem is my gnawing hunger between meals. This is usually my only discomfort, no weakness or dizziness. Blood tests for hypoglycemia have been negative. I do have symptoms of IBS.

I have tried your helpful suggestions such as adding protein, fiber, oatmeal,Juice2O and delaying breakfast. It seems like I get hungry at the same times each day no matter how much or little consumed at the last meal. I do not have a problem after a 6 PM supper unless I am working on something later than my usual bedtime of 10 PM

My strategy this time is to follow the program for 6 weeks, ending on October 9. I am understanding that the hunger pangs will go away or at least diminish with time. I have not found this to be true on my previous
attempts. I am hoping I just did not give myself enough time for this lifestyle to take root.

I will also begin looking at more recent posts about hunger abatement sent since I searched before my last "bailout".

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:42 pm

You need to give NOS more time.

This is a lifetime system, not a system to "make weight" for an athletic event.

I started on December 2010, and my NOS compliance has been around 75%.

I needed to lose 80 lb., I've lost 46 and I have enjoyed the journey. :D
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Welcome back, John.

I'm sure that you already know that eggs and nuts are foods which some people find can help keep hunger at bay.

Distraction is a valuable tool when hunger does strike.

Good luck, and keep posting.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:55 am

If you are truly hungry at the same time, can't you just eat and make it a planned mini meal? Is that the only time of day you get hungry like that?

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:38 am

How long before the next meal are you feeling hungry? When I first started No S I was unaccustomed to dealing with hunger because with my previous eating habits I never let myself get hungry. I ate at will. Therefore, I was very uncomfortable with being hungry at first.

Now I still get hungry, but it's okay. I eat a substantial breakfast but am often feeling a little hungry an hour or so before lunch, sometimes sooner. Like Too Solid Flesh, I just get busy and do something to distract myself. When I do eat, I try to eat slowly and relish my food. (I used to eat way too fast.). I have found that a little hunger makes food taste better when you do eat.

So maybe the hunger pangs will not go away but maybe you will learn that it is normal to feel hunger at times. On the other hand, if it is out of control hunger for hours before you eat, a glass of milk always did it for me. However, everyone is different, and you may need the mini meal suggested by clarinet gal.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:02 pm

I find that delaying my "breakfast" til 10am lets me NoS with much more ease. I eat at 10-2-6. No need for snacks--and 4 hours is the perfect distance between meals for me.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:44 pm

And you tried beverages between meals to tide you over? I still do that.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)