French Paradox

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jethro

French Paradox

Post by Jethro » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Brian Wansick, PhD - who wrote the book Mindless Eating in which he looks at external and environmental cues that influence how much we eat without us realizing it - did a study that points out another important and often missing piece to this apparent paradox

The study, Internal and External Cues of Meal Cessation: The French Paradox Redux? was published in the journal OBESITY (Vol. 15 No. 12 December 2007). The researchers examined whether there was a difference in the "cues" or signals between the French and American subjects to see when they knew they had consumed enough food and in turn, stopped eating. The results, while not surprising, tell us more about the toxic food environment we live in and how it influences us to eat more than we think we are.

From the study.....

The French were more likely to report food behaviors that suggested that they used internal cues of meal cessation rather than external cues of meal cessation.

More so than Americans, the French reported that they stopped eating

- when they started to feel full,

- when they wanted to leave room for dessert,

- and when they no longer felt hungry.

In contrast, Americans reported food behaviors that suggested that they tended to use external cues of meal cessation rather than internal cues.

More so than the French, Americans reported that they stopped eating

- when others thought it was normal,

- when they ran out of a beverage,

- and when the television show they were watching was over.

I'm going to (try to) incorporate these French food behaviors into my meals.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:46 am

We were also taught to clean our plates. I still have a hard time leaving food on my plate.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

TUK

Post by TUK » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:35 am

r.jean wrote:We were also taught to clean our plates. I still have a hard time leaving food on my plate.
I was too. Yet, the thinnest girls I've seen eat don't hesitate to leave things in their plate if they are full, or even if it does not suit their taste.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 am

The French were more likely to report food behaviors that suggested that they used internal cues of meal cessation rather than external cues of meal cessation.

More so than Americans, the French reported that they stopped eating

- when they started to feel full,

- when they wanted to leave room for dessert,

- and when they no longer felt hungry.
I've also read that instead of asking "Are you full yet?" they ask "Have you had enough?"

Most of us probably need to take a clue from any babies we've fed. Babies tend to refuse to take more once they've had enough. And well-meaning people feeding them try to get them to eat more.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:39 pm

wosnes wrote:I've also read that instead of asking "Are you full yet?"
they ask "Have you had enough?"
Interesting semantics.
For many people, including me..., being full comes BEFORE having enough.
I often feel FULL, but still haven't had ENOUGH. :roll:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com