Has your life expanded?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

Has your life expanded?

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:26 pm

In line with a post I made in which I said we have to find other activities and topics to spend time on, I'm wondering if any long-timers have found other interests or subjects to think about that have replaced the attention to food and weight loss. Do you feel your life has expanded? Or is it a non-issue?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:35 am

Since I haven't reached target weight (165#) or target waist (34"), and I still have slip ups every now and then (although I'm improving), food and weight loss has all my attention, but it's not an obsession.

Eventually I'll reach my targets and my habits will become automatic.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

TUK

Post by TUK » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:07 am

I feel a lesser amount of stress. Although I am currently gaining weight, I know that my way of eating moderately is right. Or soon will be.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:38 am

For me thinking about weight loss is a non-issue. I do think about food frequently, but for me it's something pleasant to do.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:30 pm

My body makes it necessary to pay close attention to food and dieting.
Even when I weighed 271 lbs, I couldn't eat however much I wanted, of whatever I wanted,
whenever I wanted to do so, without gaining even more weight.
This is, of course, even more true while working to maintain at a normal weight.

After many decades of resistance to my personal dieting Truths,
I've finally given up my fantasy that my body is, or ever will be, "normal",
and handled the fact that it will always be necessary for ME
to pay close attention to food and dieting ......
................by turning it into a positive.
I decided to look at Dieting as a Hobby, and to work to make that Hobby enjoyable.
Changing my perspective has made a great deal of difference,
and acceptance of Reality has made things much easier for me.. :wink:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:06 pm

One way or the other, I still think about food A LOT!! Some is healthy planning, some is obcessive. Not sure if that's ever gonna get better...
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Not really! I've been doing NoS on and off (off for about 2 months... :oops:) for well over a year now, but I still think a lot about food. I love cooking, experimenting with new foods and eating, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to not think about food! We'll see though, I'm not yet in a position where I've lost any substantial amount of weight on NoS, if that happens my outlook may well be different :)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:50 pm

My thinking about food has changed qualitatively. I now define "good" food as food that tastes good, is prepared at home and uses minimally processed ingredients, even "fattening" ones such as sour cream and butter.

There is also emotional space to enjoy life more. I have spent more time outdoors biking and kayaking. I have acquired new skills. I have been able to take on some professionally satisfying projects at work and a leadership position in a local produce co-op (food related but I am motivated more out of an environmental ethos than by weight concerns).

While a lot of things have happened to that have brought me to this place, I think No S is part of it since it has removed the self-absorption that comes with so much of diet and exercise advice.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks, Blithe Morning. I think that's more what I was talking about.

I realize now what I meant was what have you replaced dwelling on food and weight loss as a PROBLEM with? Or maybe you never did, if you were lucky.

Even after 32 months, I find I'm caught between an identity as someone who isn't tormented by food anymore and someone who still puts herself in the middle of those who struggle, possibly as a way to avoid overeating. I guess I'm not sure what would happen if I didn't stay involved. I've tried to create more in certain areas of my life for years, and haven't been able to pull it off. I'm tired of it, yet I'm not sure what will take its place. I posted a testimonial last January and in so many ways am so much happier. I'm so glad I don't diet! My weekends are no longer what you'd call wild at all, but I find that I still eat more than I feel good with and I am still looking for what will release me from that. I guess it's a personal problem, one I keep imagining that those with mates, family, beloved jobs, etc., don't have. But even Beck says that living a life beyond the needs of maintaining a satisfactory weight makes maintaining more likely. :)

Don't mean to shut down discussion or be a downer. I'm happy to listen to all comers.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:53 pm

I think part of the problem with creating a satisfying, fulfilling life is that we make the mistake of comparing our lives - the interesting bits, the boring bits and the messed up bits - with the interesting snippets we get of other people's lives. Just like we should never compare ours bodies with those of fashion magazine models, we should never compare our lives with other people's.

First, we don't see beyond the superficial. And second, what good does it do?

You are awesome Ooo. Keep at it and things will come about. Like weight loss, I think it takes more time than we think it should. I will spare you the cheery advice on creating a meaningful life; I suspect you already know. Personally, I'm looking into the weekend Luddite.

Except for my Kindle Fire as long as I'm reading books.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:04 pm

This is what I am working on. Instead of focusing on diet and wheight loss,what to do besides boring housework. I have been wrangled into some school related volunteering positions I am not thrilled about except the art awareness.
Now that my baby is in preschool I am looking into going back to school to become a nurse. I have always wanted to be a nurse but for some reason my family always discouraged it. I think I really need to work outside the home in some way because being a SAHM is very lonely. My neighbors pretty much work and I have not really made any connections with the other moms. They are more friendly acquaintances.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

nosnos

Post by nosnos » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:06 am

I'm about a year and a half in and my life has changed massively. I am still losing weight although very slowly as I started at a fairly low weight.

It took lots of up's and downs in the start and I still have red days- but I don't care anymore! I just do my best and that's enough. My thoughts about food are very relaxed now. I was very extreme and rather food obsessed before.

I now think about other things (shock horror!!) I only tend to think about food before or during a meal- and I no longer feel that it has to be all or nothing in terms of healthiness of meals or if I slip up- I can eat one chocolate on a red day and leave it there- This has been huge for me. And has improved my life immeasurably
:) Nosnos