Is there any ex weight watcher followers here?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

M's sick of dieting

Is there any ex weight watcher followers here?

Post by M's sick of dieting » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:43 pm

I've been on and off Weight Watcher several times in my life. The most recent I lost about 25 lbs. looked better, felt better, I hadn't reached goal yet but was close. Then I found myself in this vicious cycle of counting my points, running everyday, then the weekend would come and I'd eat like crazy. Well eventually it would get harder and harder to get back on track. I can't seem to stick to any form of "diet". Needless to say the weight I did loose found its way back on.

Its exhausting forever trying to get the weight off. I always start with good intentions, but almost instantly get sick of thinking about it constantly, having to measure and obsess over every bite! It just doesnt seem healthy to me, mentally. I feel like I could stick to No S for life, I do wanna loose 20-30 lbs. I just wondered if anyone here found themselves feeling the same way I do and found success threw the No S lifestyle?

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:37 pm

I went to weightwatchers faithfully for over 2 years. I lost 50 pounds, but the biggest thing that I learned is to eat constantly... low point foods all of the time. That is insane! I analized every bite. I thought about food waaaaay too much, but that is part of it all. Thinking about food constantly strengthened my addiction to it. I gained it all back plus a lot! Now I'm left with the desire for eating more, but I can't stomach the blah low point fake food anymore. It just put me in a bad situation. Now my goal is to break the hand-to-mouth habit that weightwatchers did for me. :roll:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

M's sick of dieting

Post by M's sick of dieting » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:08 pm

That is exactly how I feel!! It's like if you don't eat constantly you are starving. And let's face, hunger always wins!

I complained to my Husband once about not thinking I can do it anymore (count points) and he says "why don't you just eat normal?", and it occurred to me that I have no clue what that means. I'm either dieting or gaining it back. I just need to let the food/weight loss obsession go, and know it'll come with time. I figure as long as I only eat 3 home made meals (trying to not eat-out during the week) a day I'm prob not over eating. I shouldn't gain weight? We shall see.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 pm

I did weight watchers for a while. I thought I had the perfect set up: count points, control your eating and lose weight.

Unfortunately for me the points count eventually wore me out. And I'm an accountant by profession. It was an utter failure.

And the issue of bank points for a future deficit/surplus put me in a position that eventually I got into a such deficit hole from which I would never catch up. Thus, I had to get rid of the point system.

The reason I joined was because my employer had a deal with WW to offer lower rates to participants. I can say with 100% point of assurance that none of the participants maintained their weight goals, if reached, because the all got burned out by the dreaded point system.

In other words, nobody I knew was able to stay wth the point system.

Perhaps if you are like Braniac or Mr. Spock,it will work for you.

Weight Watchers epitomizes Mark Twain's quote: Quitting smoking is very easy. I've done it many times!
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:25 pm

I cringe at the very thought of weight watchers.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:29 am

I successfully lost weight on WW after my first 2 children. After that I could never get myself to go back. I tried after my third childi and at various other times and then just gave up.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:30 pm

I've been bingeing on reading about diets and eating because I told myself that I was going to stop reading them as of my birthday this year. [I may have to extend it to New Year's.] While reading about calorie limits, low fat, counting points, and such, I just feel a frown on my face all the time. Good Lord, do they really think you'll always know how many points are in the food at a restaurant? ETC.

Yes, I did use WW years ago (got more turned off by the focus on low-fat and processed, look-a-like foods), and I did actually learn what a nice plate of food that will satisfy me looks like. Over my 32 months (boy, I"ll be glad when I can say three years) on No S, I've gotten better and better at estimating how much of a plate of food in a restaurant is going to satisfy my need for nourishment and pleasure before I get too full. (It's about 1.5 to 2 fists in volume of dense foods, including the salad DRESSING, but that's me.) I've lost 16% of my weight and maintained for nearly 6 months. I'm not at the low end of my BMI (meaning a lot of women at my height and weight might want to be skinnier), but this is doable and enjoyable.

Just keep thinking: the Italians and the French love food, but don't snack and don't overeat. Millions of them don't know what the calorie counts are in any foods. They savor their meals and have moderate portions. You can, too!

Just don't be in a hurry to have it all figured out. I didn't lose all my weight at once and then keep it off. But I've been learning all the time, even through some discouragement, and I weigh 31 pounds less now. Since the odds are anyone who went on a diet at the same time I started weighs more now, I'd say this is worth it. Also, I didn't start with the aim to lose weight, but to decrease my bingeing/ overeating, esp. of sugar.

I must say since I've been reading so much about this that having the goal of losing 20 lbs. is actually going to be a real disadvantage to you, really. I see it over and over again in what I'm reading. It seems counterintuitive but having the goal of eating moderately of a variety of foods consistently WITHOUT AIMING FOR A CERTAIN WEIGHT is more likely to result in maintained weight loss. I think it may be because it takes away another reason to feel that you're failing. If the only thing you focus on is the habit, and your perform it, then you can't fail. If you don't, you fail, but that's the only failure you have. IF you don't AND you don't lose weight, you fail twice. IF you don't and you do lose weight, you get sloppy with the habit.

Give No S six months at least and concentrate on the habits. Don't try t et all diet meals, for heaven's sake. Less will be enough over time. And keep up with us.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:47 pm

oolala53 wrote: on No S, I've gotten better and better at estimating how much of a plate of food in a restaurant is going to satisfy my need for nourishment and pleasure before I get too full. (It's about 1.5 to 2 fists in volume of dense foods, including the salad DRESSING, but that's me.)

Just keep thinking: the Italians and the French love food, but don't snack and don't overeat. Millions of them don't know what the calorie counts are in any foods. They savor their meals and have moderate portions. You can, too!

It seems counterintuitive but having the goal of eating moderately of a variety of foods consistently WITHOUT AIMING FOR A CERTAIN WEIGHT is more likely to result in maintained weight loss. I think it may be because it takes away another reason to feel that you're failing. If the only thing you focus on is the habit, and your perform it, then you can't fail. If you don't, you fail, but that's the only failure you have. IF you don't AND you don't lose weight, you fail twice. IF you don't and you do lose weight, you get sloppy with the habit.
Outstanding! :wink:
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Time heals everything!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Jethro wrote:I did weight watchers for a while.
Unfortunately for me the points count eventually wore me out. And I'm an accountant by profession.
Hahahaha! Sorry, but isn't that classic! If an accountant can't do it long-term, who can?
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:32 am

Several years ago, I worked with a woman who lost 60 pounds on WW, regained it, lost 60 pounds again, regained the weight again, and was back on WW to lose 60 pounds again. When I think of a person who exemplifies persistence, I think of her. Yes, I was on WW, but not for very long -- several weeks at most.
Kathleen

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:23 am

"If an accountant can't do it long-term, who can?"

According to the National Weight Loss Registry, 75% of the 3% who make it to goal and keep it off. Them 'r some tough odds.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:51 am

So only 3% make it to goal but then 75% of the three per cent keep it off? Am I interpreting that right?
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:17 pm

oolala53,
Can you site where you got those figures? They are very interesting. Thanks.
Kathleen

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:43 pm

The National Weight Control Registry is at:

http://www.nwcr.ws/

To be a member you should be at least 18 years of age and have maintained at least a 30 pound weight loss for one year or longer (I would qualify even though I have not yet reached my weight goal).

Not everybody that has reached these goals is a member. Thus,NWCR does not represent ALL successful dieters.

NWCR facts http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm as presented do not represent if all of their successful dieters are at the acceptable BMI range. They only show a few at http://www.nwcr.ws/stories.htm that seem to have reached that goal.

I could not find the 75% of 3% = 2.225% mentioned above but found this sites that talk about NWCR that might be of interest:

http://xnet.kp.org/permanentejournal/su ... istry.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_W ... l_Registry

http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topi ... l+Registry

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/4-ke ... ss-success

http://caloriecount.about.com/article/t ... l_registry

Anybody that loses weight and maintains it needs to be congratulated. However, in my humble opinion, I think NOS is the simpler and easier way to go. We've also had numerous successes here (i.e. Reinhard, Olala, Dr. Collins and many others).

Since the Tanzania study http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8783 clearly indicates that exercise impact on weight loss is minimal, we are faced with the inescapable fact that we need to eat less to loose wight. Let's do it!
- Vince Lombardi

Time heals everything!

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Jethro wrote:The National Weight Control Registry
I could not find the 75% of 3% = 2.225% mentioned above.
Many of you know that I have been maintaining a large weight-loss for quite some years.
My highest weight was 20 years ago at 271 lbs.
I've also been one of the participants in NWCR for the past 4 years.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Upon further review at http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm it states that on NCWR facts that "The "average" woman is 45 years of age and currently weighs 145 lbs, while the "average" man is 49 years of age and currently weighs 190 lbs."

Based on the average height of women in the USA http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/pu ... hart.shtml with men at 5'10.2" and women at 5"4.6", only the girls are within the acceptable BMI range (girls 24.45 v. men 27.3)

What can i say, most men are gluttons! :oops:
- Vince Lombardi

Time heals everything!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:57 am

The 3% I'm talking about doesn't come from their stats, but from the general consensus that about 97% of those who attempt to lose weight actually do and keep it off for any length of time. NWLR represents those who didn't quit.

I think I read that on NWLR that 75% of the maintainers report that they still track calories. This means 25% do not. Thus, 75% of 3% track calories as a strategy to maintain weight loss, I'm deducing. There are successes for calorie tracking (some of them post here on No S!) but they are the exception. I just don't believe that because it's noted on NWLR, it's a good strategy to recommend. When looking at what really works in human behavior, No S is greatly superior. It certainly fits Baumeister's (author of Willpower and researcher on the diets and weight loss) recommendations better. Despite all the hype food tracking has been getting in recent years, I don't think he even mentions it in Willpower, but I could be wrong.

I appreciate that the register accepts those who do not have an "acceptable" BMI. People do not have to reach that range (I've seen it called average or normal, but those aren't very good terms, either) to greatly improve their chances at avoiding the health problems we've come to associate with weight. Very modest losses and increased activity have been shown to go a long way for health improvement.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:56 am

oolala53 wrote:The 3% I'm talking about doesn't come from their stats, but from the general consensus that about 97% of those who attempt to lose weight actually do and keep it off for any length of time. NWLR represents those who didn't quit..
Isn't it that 97% of those who attempt to lose weight actually do BUT DO NOT keep it off for any length of time? A 97% success rate would pulverize obesity, unless you define the 97% as those that LOST SOME WEIGHT but not enough to be at an acceptable, healthy BMI range - as defined by the experts.

If I'm wrong please provide your sources.

At any rate do not take this as a personal affront. I just want the facts!
- Vince Lombardi

Time heals everything!

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:10 am

oolala53 wrote:I appreciate that the register accepts those who do not have an "acceptable" BMI. People do not have to reach that range (I've seen it called average or normal, but those aren't very good terms, either) to greatly improve their chances at avoiding the health problems we've come to associate with weight. Very modest losses and increased activity have been shown to go a long way for health improvement.
Anybody that loses some weight thus avoiding some of the health problems we've come to associate with weight needs to be applauded.

However, why not shoot for for an acceptable BMI and reach many more health and psychological benefits?

Unless you suffer from an underlying medical condition, I do not see why any normal, relatively healthy individual cannot reach the "promised land."

Let's remember that 75-100 years ago the "promised land" was the norm and we are basically the same.
- Vince Lombardi

Time heals everything!

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:35 pm

oolala53 wrote:The 3% I'm talking about doesn't come from their stats,
but from the general consensus that about 97% of those who attempt
to lose weight actually do and keep it off for any length of time.
NWLR represents those who didn't quit.

The general consensus is that 97% of people are UNSUCCESSFUL
at losing weight and keeping it off for any length of time.
This would mean that only 3% are actually successful
at losing weight and keeping it off for any length of time.

So using these numbers, Starting with the 3%
... only 25% of the THREE percent would be succeeding
at weight-loss and maintenance without counting calories.

Remember, although you can do No S WITHOUT counting calories,
counting calories AND No S are not mutually exclusive,
there are quite a few people here who do both together.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:10 pm

BrightAngel wrote:
oolala53 wrote:

Remember, although you can do No S WITHOUT counting calories,
counting calories AND No S are not mutually exclusive,
there are quite a few people here who do both together.[/color]
Like Comrade Lenin said "the end justifies the means."
- Vince Lombardi

Time heals everything!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:53 am

It still means the huge majority of people have not found success at weight loss by counting calories. And Baumeister-Willpower-(I'm pretty sure) said that the majority of people who started a traditional diet weighed more two years later, regardless of short term success. In fact, going on traditional diets is one of the most reliable predictors of eventual weight GAIN. Exceptions do not change that. Those are pretty daunting odds and I choose never to subject myself to that gamble again.

While it's not forbidden to count calories on No S, I participate here because it is NOT a focus. If I want to be involved in sites that do count and track, etc., there are many options. No S is pretty much singular, I think, and frankly, and with the utmost respect to all, I hope it stays that way.

I actually do participate on a weight loss site, but only on teams that don't count calories or track food. And the longer I go, the less I use the scale because weight loss is less and less the reason I do this. It just feels better to eat less than I used to.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:13 pm

oolala53 wrote:It still means the huge majority of people have not
found success at weight loss by counting calories.

weight loss is less and less the reason I do this.
It just feels better to eat less than I used to.
:P Technically... of course... it actually means that
the huge majority of people have NOT found success at weight loss
...by counting calories OR BY ANY OTHER MEANS.

For those interested,
Rebound weight-gain is predicted after EVERY type of diet,
whether or not counting calories is involved.

Also, Congratulations on your personal success.
Last edited by BrightAngel on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:15 pm

I salute all who are successful on NoS without counting calories. That is a fine goal and if it works for you I am all on your side. However, BrightAngel and I have learned that we have to keep track because our bodies need fewer calories than the "experts" say. She has kept very good records as you can see and knows her own body. I have not been as meticulous, but I have evidence that I cannot just eat 3 small plates of food without snacking or sugars and expect to lose any weight. Actually this "vanilla" plan will not keep my body from gaining. Every time I have quit "counting" I have gained weight. And I cannot change the plan much on S Days without paying a big price.

I joined NoS at the end of 2008 because I was sick of counting WW points. I wanted to use NoS as a maintenance plan and I steadily gained all my weight loss back. In October of 2010 I added calorie tracking to NoS and have lost again. BUT when I quit counting and weighing daily I gain. Recently it seems to be that I can maintain my current weight (which is still overweight) at about 1200 calories. If I cut back to 1000 calories I start to lose a little each week. Three plates a day of only 1000-1200 calories has to be monitored at least for me. And this is fewer calories than I needed a year ago.

I know for some people calorie watching is too much restriction and that sets them up for failure or binges. Know yourself and what works for you. I just want to put in the case for the other side. I do not binge and NoS has helped with that. I have accepted what is true for me and maybe a few others. What is true for me as a 65 year old who gets only about 30 minutes of exercise daily may not be true for those younger and more active.

For me anyway, as my signature says, "Every bite counts."

The beauty of NoS is that it is adaptable. We are not all alike.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:19 pm

TexArk wrote: Know yourself and what works for you.
The beauty of NoS is that it is adaptable.
We are not all alike.

Very true.
:D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:00 pm

There is already a HUGE case for the other side. Almost everywhere you look.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:24 pm

oolala53 wrote:There is already a HUGE case for the other side.
Almost everywhere you look.
I respectfully disagree.
People who are more successfull tend to be more verbal,
and they tend to stick with a plan longer.
People who are unsuccessful, tend to be more quiet,
and go to other plans.

So... let us agree to disagree.
:P

gbjj

Post by gbjj » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:40 pm

I'm a pretty fit person, I excercise a lot and my hobbies are physical. I am not overweight. And Tend to bounce around between eating styles, merely because I like to stay healthy.

I believe I am not geneticly proposed to being skinny, and I get tired of hearing people say, oh your so lucky... bologna.. the reason I stay fit is because of the lifestyle.

I did weight watchers for a while because I was told it would teach me how to eat sensibly and properly... pbbbttt.. what it mostly taught me was to be way over obsessed about my food, constantly counting points, constantly eating all day long because none of the food I was eating would hold me very long....

Granted it teaches you what is healthy and what is not, but more than anything it made me obsessive about my food, and my family annoyod at me because of my special needs..

The I've only been doing NOS for maybe a month and a half, and already feel way better, and it's just a habit now... and It's way less tense at meal times... LOL

just my .02 Cents..

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:40 pm

gbjj wrote:just my .02 Cents..
:twisted: It's great that you are in good shape,
and it's great you are having an easy time adapting to Nos Habits.
The attached link clearly states my own position.

http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v&nid=663

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:28 pm

BrightAngel wrote:

I read your article and I suffer from the same malaise. My two sons 33 and 31, have 6 packs and they are constantly telling me to "move more" even though they don't workout themselves.

It helps them they are partially genetically blessed: their mom, my wife, was a professional ballerina, her mom and dad were naturally slim and athletic.

I understand and do not get upset. I just try to stay on my (NOS) diet and let results speak for themselves.
- Vince Lombardi

Time heals everything!

M's sick of dieting

Post by M's sick of dieting » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:56 am

Thanks everybody for commenting on this, I love reading everyone's opinion and experiences. I do feel my mindset shifting a bit. I do wanna loose 20 maybe 30lbs. But I'm gonna try to focus on more "3 meals a day" habit, instead of "let's see if I can loose 2 lbs this week so I can eat all weekend cause by the weekend I'm starving!!!

I'm trying to say to myself " let's see how I look and feel 6 months to a year" and try to let go of the crazy OCD dieter. I sware I've been on and off diets sense I was 11, they never work. I always say I'm done Dieting, but then I get sucked back in.

I can't help but think that it doesn't help that I have the internet on my phone. Dieting websites are at my fingertips 24-7, they can be addicting.

gbjj

Post by gbjj » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:17 pm

BrightAngel wrote:

:evil: I read your article and get the impression you seem to be mad at me for expressing my opinions on the NOS Diet and a comparison between it and Weight Watchers... I also get the impression that you think I'm a naturally skinny person, and my opinion on weight gains, losses, excercise, and eating habits are not valid. I'm sorry...

For the record, I am not a naturally skinny person and work my A$$ off to keep my weight down, to include gradually building myself up to accomplish some of the following:

Swimming 2000 meters a day
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Lot's of pushups, Pullups, body weight excercises, High repitiotion Deep Knee Bends, ISO Metrics, Muscle contractions.. etc...

What really helped me in the beginning of my weight loss was my introduction to John Peterson and his Body Culture philosophy and methods for attaining a great body shape.

Please check it out, a true life changer for me, as well as many people I know...:
www.transformetrics.com

From my experience ( many years ) I meet a lot of overweight people who do about a .10th of a percent of the excercise that the fit person does while expecting the same amount of results. I'm certainly not saying that you are in that situation. Everyone is different and pre-disposed to a certain body type... unfortunatly.. :(

Congratulations on your progress!!

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:43 pm

gbjj wrote:
BrightAngel wrote:

:evil: I read your article and get the impression you seem to be mad at me
for expressing my opinions on the NOS Diet and a comparison between it and Weight Watchers...
I also get the impression that you think I'm a naturally skinny person, and my opinion on weight gains, losses, excercise, and eating habits are not valid.
I enjoy seeing the opinions that each of us share here on No S, and
I think that comparing another .. any other.. diet with No S is productive for all of us.

I'm not at all mad at you for any reason.
My article was written and posted before I read your comment,
After I read your post, I thought that sharing it here was an appropriate action. ..
as it shows a "DIfferent Side of the Coin".

gbjj

Post by gbjj » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:46 pm

BrightAngel wrote:
gbjj wrote:
BrightAngel wrote:

:evil: I read your article and get the impression you seem to be mad at me
for expressing my opinions on the NOS Diet and a comparison between it and Weight Watchers...
I also get the impression that you think I'm a naturally skinny person, and my opinion on weight gains, losses, excercise, and eating habits are not valid.
I enjoy seeing the opinions that each of us share here on No S, and
I think that comparing another .. any other.. diet with No S is productive for all of us.

I'm not at all mad at you for any reason.
My article was written and posted before I read your comment,
After I read your post, I thought that sharing it here was an appropriate action. ..
as it shows a "DIfferent Side of the Coin".
:D Gotcha... very, very sorry if I sounded inappropriate.. !!