competent eating

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

competent eating

Post by oolala53 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:50 pm

I stumbled on this woman's (Ellyn Satter) site while looking at non-diet techniques for overcoming overeating. It was an intriguing concept. I guess another therapist calls it "normal" eating.

Besides the idea of snacks, which the author doesn't insist on, and the idea of stopping at full, which you can choose to do on No S, these seem to underly the best of the intention of No S, I'd say.

Context: Take time to eat, and provide yourself with rewarding meals and snacks at regular and reliable times.
Attitude: Cultivate positive attitudes about eating and about food. Emphasize providing rather than depriving; seeking food rather than avoiding it.
Food acceptance: Enjoy your eating, eat foods you like, and let yourself be comfortable with and relaxed about what you eat. Enjoying eating supports the natural inclination to seek variety, the keystone of healthful food selection.
Internal regulation: Pay attention to your sensations of hunger and fullness to determine how much to eat. Go to the table hungry, eat until you feel satisfied, and then stop, knowing another meal or snack is coming soon when you can do it again.

Of course, then there's implementation. And that's why we're here.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:39 pm

I asked my doctor, why do I have to fast 8-12 hours before an operation?

Answer: that's how long it takes to empty your stomach, which is approximately the size of your fist.

In other words, eating food the size of your fist will fill your stomach.

Keep that in mind next time you think you are hungry. :wink:
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:53 pm

I know what hungry feels like, and I like it. But I'd rather not think about having one fist of food at a meal. :)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:52 pm

oolala53 wrote:I know what hungry feels like, and I like it. But I'd rather not think about having one fist of food at a meal. :)
Physiologically, that's all you need to fill your stomach. However, our stomachs can stretch...a lot! :wink:
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Time heals everything!

Jethro

Re: competent eating

Post by Jethro » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:23 pm

oolala53 wrote: Food acceptance: Enjoy your eating, eat foods you like, and let yourself be comfortable with and relaxed about what you eat. Enjoying eating supports the natural inclination to seek variety, the keystone of healthful food selection.
Excellent point! If you hate what you eat, you won't last on the diet
oolala53 wrote:Internal regulation: Pay attention to your sensations of hunger and fullness to determine how much to eat. Go to the table hungry, eat until you feel satisfied, and then stop, knowing another meal or snack is coming soon when you can do it again.
Good point but need to be careful here. I and many I know find that a pre-meal cocktail artificially stimulates appetite and masks the feeling of
fullness (haven't you heard about the munchies?).

In addition, I need at least 20-30 minutes before I become aware of how full I feel. Thus, I try to eat slowly. Eating things you like helps because you want to extend an enjoyable meal as long as possible.
- Vince Lombardi

Time heals everything!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:13 am

I've eaten my meals slowly for years. It's bingeing I don't do slowly. Thankfully, No S has helped decrease that exponentially.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23