What Your S days Look Like?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:41 pm

I have a question for the successful No S-ers:

Are they pretty tame, or wild, or somewhere in between? Did they change over time? Is your Monday harder than other N days? Are there people who use only one S day?

I am hoping to learn from your experience :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:30 pm

I've been at this 32 months. My problem was bingeing, mostly on sugar. I've lost 16% of my weight and am just barely in the "normal" BMI range. (no consistent exercise) I consider myself a success even though there are some people who come to No S at my height weighing what I do and considering themselves too fat. I had significant trouble with S days for about 2 years (!) and don't have many S days on which I don't think I could have eaten a little less. (I have N days like that, too.) Through all my troubles, I had good stretches and life was infinitely better than before. It still is. It's possible there was something else that would have helped me make the transition faster or might have turned me into a really thin woman, but the odds are against it. If I had to do it over again, I might have tried imposing some mods about a year into it, but that might have backfired. Other than that, this is it for me.

I can see myself becoming even more refined in my food choices, though I actually eat a darn good diet in the American scheme of things, without undue stress over it. It is just happening. The weekends are getting better and yesterday while on vacation, I went to four different restaurants while wandering in Park City, Ut. and couldn't find a dessert that really appealed to me. I did have a few Lindt chocolates later and didn't wish I could eat the whole bag. Some weekends, it's not as casual, but life is still better than it was for the 38 years of troubles before No S.

If you're just a few weeks or months into it, give it time. Keep up with me separately for hand holding through S days for awhile, if you like. I might have actually done better getting some counseling for other issues that interfered with a full life on S days. I don't think traditional dieting (calorie limitations or food-type limitations) would have been a better option.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:18 pm

Like N days, but with added treats. Sticking to the three meal structure and avoiding grazing works best for me, but it took a long time to work gradually towards that on S days.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:27 pm

I'll ditto what Too Solid Flesh said...that's exactly what my S days look like too - just like my N days with a dessert or two, maybe a trip for ice cream, and a bowl of popcorn with a weekend movie. It also took me several years to arrive at this point.

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:53 am

Right now, I have all sugary junk and snacks OUT of the house. Yay.
I take Sundays as an S day and have a piece of cake or a couple scoops of ice cream after lunch. I don't really take Saturdays, 'cause I work at home those days usually, and if someone offers me a slice of cake at work or something, I'll call that an "S event", as it happens less than once a week. This is working well for me!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:27 pm

I'm not a long term No-Ser (I've only been at it three months), so I'm probably not the right person to answer your question, but No-S has been successful for me. I'm losing consistently with minimal effort. Total lost so far about 11 pounds, I'm hoping to lose 12 to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. My S days are completely free - sometimes I have three meals, sometimes there are snacks, sweets, brunches, afternoon teas, etc. About the only thing I've done (a few times) is to take Reinhard's advice and plan a really nice treat. Mondays are often a relief from a physical point of view, as I've found I sometimes get indigestion after a big Saturday or Sunday.

I just wanted to chime in, to say that it is possible to lose on No S while doing nothing to control or improve S days. I'm a medium height woman and I started out with not that much weight to lose (with a BMI under 25), so I'm impressed that the program is so effective. I was expecting it to take longer and be harder. I imagine my S days will eventually get more like N days, just out of habit. However, I'm not doing anything to try to make that happen, and it will be ok with me if it takes years to get to that point.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:50 pm

My S days are about the same as my N days. I am more likely to have an S event like a piece of cake at a birthday party or something, not sweets,snacks or seconds every S day. I try to eat as healthy as I can every day.
Berry