A commitment

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

emmay

A commitment

Post by emmay » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:03 am

I first found No S in 2005. I lost the 10 pounds i needed to lose and happily maintained my No S habits for about a year. Then I fell pregnant and found that I needed to snack frequently to keep the pregnancy nausea at bay. No S was soon forgotten.

Post pregnancy, and through a second pregnancy, I maintained reasonable eating and exercise habits and was relatively happy with my weight. Until, last December, I stepped on a scale and wasn't happy with the number (only 64kg).

I decided to get really fit and trim and, in January, I went on a super healthy diet. It seemed like a good idea at the time and I was really pleased with the fast results. But, as most of you could have told me, 'super healthy diet' = unsustainable restriction and 'fast results' = even faster rebound. About three months after staring the diet, having lost 6kg (13 pounds). I found myself compelled to overeat. I thought I had developed binge eating disorder but the need to overeat did start to subside when I had put the lost weight back on (plus 2kg).

I wanted to get back to normal eating without restriction or binge/overeating. I remembered No S and have tried to reestablish the No S habits but this time I am struggling because N days can feel like dieting/restriction and that seems to turn S days into binge days.

Despite this, I am very attracted to the No S principles of Moderation and Order. I think, if I do it right, No S can be a sensible way of eating for the rest of my life. No more diets. Just structure.

This post is my commitment to No S.

I will eat no snacks, no sweets and no seconds except for sometimes on days starting with s.

Emma

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:11 am

Welcome back, Emma.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

EmilyGF

Post by EmilyGF » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi Emma,

I'm working on weight loss from a baby, too.

I wonder how much pregnancy weight gain that stays on long term is due to bag habits acquired while pregnant, not the baby weight...

:-) Emily
Emily

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi Emma. :wink:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:34 pm

Emma, welcome back and stick with it. I believe you will get tired of eating too much on weekends, though it may take longer than you want. What kind of meals are you eating on N days? I recommend making them rather sumptuous though without sweets for several weeks. Try to let the weight loss go for now. You want to give your body proof that you are going to feed it well consistently. It's taken me a long time but it's just not as fun to overeat anymore. Doesn't mean the thoughts don't occur, as they are occurring right now (an common time in my previous life for bingeing), but I regard them more like a memory than a true proposal anymore.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

emmay

Post by emmay » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:12 am

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
Oolala53, I like your advice to make my meals 'sumptuous'. I had already realised that I need to make them satisfying but sumptuous is even better.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:22 pm

Welcome! I'm working on losing weight after my second baby, too. I developed a lot of bad habits during my pregnancy, and I'm just now finally returning to more structured eating. I'm not completely following No S yet, but I'm getting closer. This truly is the sanest way to eat!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:45 am

Welcome emmay!
I'm also in Australia, and I have a 5 month old baby :) No-S has been an absolute lifesaver.